Cutting a Carbon Fiber Steerer Tube

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jmh

by jmh

Looking for recommendations on tools and technique to cut a carbon fiber steerer tube.
I need to take 1.5 cm off mine.
THanks.

cadence90

by cadence90

It's pretty simple when done with care but READ THIS CAREFULLY if this is your first time.

And remember: measure twice, cut once....
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PS

by PS

there is a good guide to this at:

http://www.eastonbike.com/TECH_FAQ/tech_techbull.html

look at number 5 - "cutting carbon"

sharkman

by sharkman

Got the Park tool. It a superb tool, and always take the most versatile (parktool delivers a range, so you can also cut 1"an 1 1/4" tubes and Seatposts as wel
Last edited by sharkman on Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DANIELSON

by DANIELSON

Just a quick note that once you have cut the fork to the desired length, do not dress it with a file. Use some light wet/dry about 1200 grade. It stops the carbon de-laminating. Dan 8)

jmh

by jmh

Thanks for the links and tips.

Weisse Luft

by Weisse Luft

DANIELSON wrote:Just a quick note that once you have cut the fork to the desired length, do not dress it with a file. Use some light wet/dry about 1200 grade. It stops the carbon de-laminating. Dan 8)

1200? That is a bit on the fine side, depending on what blade you use. I prefer to start with 400 as it makes the process much faster. I also give the tube a slight chamfer which prevents delamination when facing the tube end. After all is done, a light coat of thinned epoxy will seal the cut end if there is any porsity.

I don't use a cutting guide on CF. I prefer to wrap the tube with masking tape, score the cut line with a razor sharp tube cutter and cut just outside of this line.

sharkman

by sharkman

tube cutters, no matter how sharp they are put pressure on the steerer. A good guidance and a special sawing blade (dedicated for carbon with as many teeth as possible) is a far better way.
Finally, especially when used in the wet: don't forget to seal the surface with nail polish or better, super glue to make sure fiber won't come loose and water won't com in.

DANIELSON

by DANIELSON

We use a regular cutting guide but use the same blades used to cut ceramic tiles. 1200 weight paper works fine.......use it every day does the trick for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com