BTP bottle cage - reliable for racing?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CharlesM

by CharlesM

I wouldn't use the std road 9 grams for racing... No way.

I have seen people pull apart the cage and seen someone pull the bolt and boss from a frame (hilarious bevause it was 5 minutes after him telling me that his 12 pound bike and extremely light custom frame were bomb proof...). It probably wasn't the result of a single hard pull and stuck bottle... These cages can allow your bottles to flop around a bit and put a lot of stress at the bottle boss bolts.

I don't mind the cages really, but as race gear, this is a heavily used piece of equipement that should be as solid as is practical. These cages don't meet that standard.

Can people manage to use them over the long haul? sure. But like lots of other tuner parts, I think they have their place, and they're not day to day race gear.

Boonen

by Boonen

I have a set of these on one of my bikes as well and have ridden them on my main bike for 2 years without any real problems (some small racing as well). I wouldn't use these for serious racing but only for one reason which is that you can ONLY use conical bottles in them. The definition of racing varies in here but if you do regular and long road races where you sometimes can get in a position where it's hard to get a bottle from your own team think of how annoying it would be if got a bottle from another team or neutral support and it wouldn't fit in your cage on a real hot day! I think that's also the reason those Elite cages for smaller bottles never caught on, not even with the big pro teams. We got those as well many years ago but never used them as they were utterly impractical in races.

If you on the other hand ride criteriums or local circuit races I don't see any real problem in using them to be honest. You usually don't grab any bottles there anyway (if it's even allowed) and on the rare days where you would you'd get your own anyway. Although there might be better cages available I never had any real problems with them and can't remember ever having lost a bottle out of them. For the ease of use, as Pritchet and Danton prove it's really personal if you'd like these or not.

Pez, I had the same problem you state once as well. It was during a race and on a frame and cage combo that must have weighed close to 12 lbs :wink: Really annoying but I think it has more to do with either improper installation (I use locktite on those bolts now) or just bad luck somehow then with the cage you use. Riding a Colnago as a main bike I know my fair share of loose bottle cage inserts but I can't say I notice a difference after I started to use the BTP cages, they still need tightening every now and then (maybe every 10-15k km's?) but not more or less then with the cages I used before.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Benno

by Benno

I've had the same 2 cages on 3 bikes for over 4 years. I have never had any problems at all with them. In fact I completely forget all together than they are WW gear. Since I ride a ton I bought them thinking they would last a couple months, 50 months later..........still look brand new.

Slobberdoggy

by Slobberdoggy

An mtb'r here -

The design above that has the tab on the bottom I presume doesn't rely only on the conical fit should be good.

The Tune style with no tab and relies on conical bottles can be tricky. You need to twist and pull. I made the terrible mistake of putting ice water in a bottle and like what you read hear the condensation allowed the bottle to stick really tightly. I was in a race near the end and had to literally stop and carefully remove my bottle.

Aside from that particular design is okay - not great. I like these others hear. I've never lost a bottle over rough stuff or anything. I regularly see bottles on courses. Perhaps it's more a matter of handling bottles after the "twist pull" technique.

VT to CA

by VT to CA

Get these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/16-Gram-CARBON-WATE ... dZViewItem

Actual weight is between 12-15g, and they are every bit as solid and grippy as the Arundel Trident's they replaced... but even easier to use.

Couple of different ebay sellers have them, I got mine with a BIN deal for $44 shipped for two cages.

These things are the best deal going- besides those 66g a set bolt-on skewers that always pop up on ebay in different colors... for around $15 shipped.

chrism

by chrism

Can I just check with these lightweight cages - are people using them with big (750ml) bottles, or just small ones (Obviously I'm not talking about the 9g BTP cage here!) Thinking about getting something like the BTP universal cage, or something of similar weight, but if it will only take small bottles I'll go with the Bonty X-Lite instead (that works fine with large bottles on my MTB!)
No scales on the trails

dgasmd

by dgasmd

I've been thinking about replacing the ones in the link below with a pair of BTP.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TOKEN-ULTRA-LITE-Carbon-Bottle-Cage-TK9471_W0QQitemZ280204303965QQihZ018QQcategoryZ62132QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

The one in the down tube works very well, but the one in the seat tube looses/spits out the bottle (large) if half full or more when going over simple bumps on the road. Go over a railroad track and the bottle gets ejected like a rocket! I simply wished there was a way for me to "soften" the carbon and re-tighten it some. That would be enough! Is there such a way?

rustychain

by rustychain

If you have to think about your water bottle/cage its not the right one for racing IMO
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

durarace

by durarace

The mountain bike version comes in at 14-16 grams and is strong enough for racing. If the roads were horrible, for extra confidence, go with the 28g titanium King cage.......bulletproof

chrism

by chrism

Strong enough for racing with a big bottle?
No scales on the trails

durarace

by durarace

NO

Slobberdoggy

by Slobberdoggy

I use 750ml with the tune cages no problem.

Again, the tune cages appear identical to some of the BTP's sans lower tab.

Kraaf

by Kraaf

PezTech wrote:I wouldn't use the std road 9 grams for racing... No way.

Can people manage to use them over the long haul? sure. But like lots of other tuner parts, I think they have their place, and they're not day to day race gear.

Agreed. I've had bottles get so stuck that no amount of twisting could get them free. Try keeping your bottles clean during a 7 hour cyclo. And at any rate, a bottle cage shouldn't force you to think about how clean your bottles are in the first place. And they do put a lot of stress on the frame. I have no experience with the 13g type, it's a completely different design.
I love you guys. Seriously.

brooks305

by brooks305

I have Campy Record cages on my bike now. They hold the bottles well but one had the bottom tab snap off and they are not finished on the inside so they stratch up your bottles - and they are 19g.

I've looked at a number of different options. I found this one at FairWheels last night for $70 - called the New Ultimate Carbon Cage - and they claim to be 13g. They look reasonably well made.

Has anyone used these?
Attachments
nucage_LRG.jpg
Toughen the pluck up!

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Well I just got my BTP cages in. Looked good and came in at 34g including fastening hardware.

So far so good.

But just been for a ride on one of my standard routes (that is also used for the race I'm training for). There are some cattle grids on the route and crossing one, VERY cautiously (it had dew on it), one bottle ejected (didn't just come out, it flew) and the other only just stayed in the very edge of the cage.

So no good for me....

Back to the drawing board - what to use for light, race reliable cages that don't break at the bottom tab??? Any ideas - sorry to ask yet again one of the classic over asked questions :roll:
Attachments
BTP 34g(web).JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com