Edco Olympic or Campy Record hubs

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

brianwchan

by brianwchan

Which would you prefer? Both weigh about the same, about 500 grams, will cost about the same to have my wheels built with either.

FYI the wheel is going to be built with cx-rays, and ambrosio crono f20 rims (tubbie).

divve

by divve

Record hubs weigh about 370-375 grams a pair. Regardless, I'd go with Record. High quality, durable, and very smooth.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Villadsen

by Villadsen

I have written this before, but I dont mind repeating myself:

"When in doubt, never doubt Campagnolo"

Mile Ditch

by Mile Ditch

Villadsen wrote:"When in doubt, never doubt Campagnolo"

Except Super Record cranks, early cassette hubs, the quality of gear change, the mountain bike groupset, Croce D'Aune brakes, alloy toe clips, 2 bolt seatpins... :wink:

brianwchan

by brianwchan

divve wrote:Record hubs weigh about 370-375 grams a pair. Regardless, I'd go with Record. High quality, durable, and very smooth.

Really??? I couldn't find any listed weights on this site, i was going by the weights listed off some e-tailers.

Mile Ditch

by Mile Ditch

brianwchan wrote:Really??? I couldn't find any listed weights on this site, i was going by the weights listed off some e-tailers.

Maybe with/without skewers?

sharkman

by sharkman

With skewers, these weight 136.8 gramms! With a set of tune AC 14 you win an easy 87 gramms!

Villadsen

by Villadsen

Except Super Record cranks, early cassette hubs, the quality of gear change, the mountain bike groupset, Croce D'Aune brakes, alloy toe clips, 2 bolt seatpins...

Would have to disagree with this comment.

In its time the Super Record crank was great. And in my eyes one of the most elegant cranks ever made. Ok, so a few of them failed. If you make as many as Campagnolo did back then, naturally some are going to fail. I actually think that the fail rate was compareable to what most companies still achieves today.

Cant comment on the early cassette hubs, because I never had a set, but given that hub was always one of campas strongholds I doubt that they were so bad.

Gear change feel is the best there is. Not some japaneese plasticy flimsy feeling.

The mountain bike groupsets were too complicated, but qualitywise at least as good as anything at that time. I still have a set of Record OR brakes on my cross bike and I dont think that there are many brakes around that looks as good and brakes as well after so many years.

The 2 bolt seat pin was a stupid design (which many other manufacturers also used at that time). I never saw one fail though.

The Croce D'Aune brakes and some of the first clipless pedals were not too good that I can agree on, but still I would say that the Campagnolo quality was always very high.

Mile Ditch

by Mile Ditch

Maybe you missed this bit
" :wink: "

I'd forgotten about those 'stay-level' pedals. About 3 pounds each, I think! :cry:

cadence90

by cadence90

I love Campagnolo, but this Image was not the high point of their efforts.... :wink:

BTW: get the Record hubs.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Boonen

by Boonen

I have tried both the hubs. The edco's are nice but I think the Record hubs are a little better made. Record hubs are known for their good quality and they wil last very long. I only raced on the edco's a couple of times so I can't tell you about how long they last but I believe they have industrial bearings vs. the ball and cone bearings of the record hubs.