Colnago Master X Light

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

giant man

by giant man

Anyone got one of these fine steel frames? Thinking of getting one and looking for opinions ie handling, weight, quality of finish and any photos of yours? Thanks.

mgordon

by mgordon

i built one up for a customer about a month ago. i dont have any pictures, but i can say that it was beautiful. With full dura-ace including wheels it weighed a little over 17lbs which is not too bad for steel. man are they gorgeous.

It rode really well, it depends on what you are looking for. it is not really a racing frame, it is more like one of those bikes that you will have for the rest of your life.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

STARNUT

by STARNUT

My first bike was a third hand X-lite with chorus. I loved that frame. I bought from a mechanic at our shop and used it to start racing. I just assumed that all bike felt like that one. Imagine my surprise when I bought my new cannnondale CAAD 4 or what it was at the time :lol: :shock: .

Still the best ridding frame I've ever ridden. I keep telling myself that I'll replace it someday but.................

Starnut
Last edited by STARNUT on Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

giant man

by giant man

Hey thanks guys. I don't want it for racing just for fine spring and summer days, for componentry I was thinking of keeping it 'alloy or similar;' without resorting to any carbon parts, but if I go for it, might change my mind not sure.

Any recommendations for 'traditional' parts?

mgordon

by mgordon

the silver in the dura-ace group really set off the chrome in the frame, i dont think you can go wrong with just a full group, whatever you choose. i would stick with black controls (headset, seatpost, stem) though because if the colors don't match exactly, those areas are right next to some chrome so it can look off.

had to switch from a silver king to a black one because it made the chrome look weird. i have always loved my thomson components...

giant man

by giant man

Well I have 2003 Record which is mostly alloy which I was thinking of using and quite different looking from the newer QS stuff from Campag, interesting what you're saying about the black stuff vs silver, thanks for your comments.

Was also thinking about using Thomson stem/seatpost.

tjones

by tjones

A guy I know just got a new Master X Light in LX10 color scheme with 2008 Centaur silver grouppo and older Centaur shifters (non-escape) with older silver Record hubs laced to silver Ambrosio rims. It looked quite classy

Auk

by Auk

It still remains on the list of bike I want in my collection to ride. Well, that frame and the Bi-titan. Even with it's checkered reputation.

SLight

by SLight

only early Bi-Titans had problems. I have a late Master Bitan myself and those don't break

GonaSovereign

by GonaSovereign

I had a 1996 Master Olympic, which is the same bike. Mapei AD10 paint. It was an amazing ride. Tracked like it was on rails, fairly comfortable and strong as the proverbial brick shithouse. It's not light, but climbed like a lighter bike.

It's still the coolest bike I've owned.

dastardly

by dastardly

I have one and its fantastic. Too small for me however and is for sale (frame and fork) if your interested. Bought new in 2005 and i used it for one summer before realising i had bought too small.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

thats pretty sweet can we have a build list please and maybe a price?
tikka
Formerly known as Curryinahurry

c50jim

by c50jim

I don't have a Master but have had two Tecnos (next frame down in the line - similar but slightly heavier and with one round tube where the Master is shaped). With a steel fork and Record with alloy crank and sturdy clinchers, my 59 is a little under 21 pounds. Switching to a carbon fork would take it under 20 and the Master is probably 3-4 ounces lighter.

Handling is the same as the other Colnagos I've owned (C40, C50 and Bititan) - not really fast handling, but very stable. I recently heeled over pretty sharply with my C50 and only realized afterwards how low I'd gone because it felt so natural.

Finish is usually excellent. The one thing to be careful about with Colnago paint in my opinion is to get a style you'll like for a long time. I finally sold my C40 after 11 seasons because I was tired of the mid 90s paint job, not the bike.

If you like steel, the only other thing I've ridden that's in the same league is a De Rosa, which is even nicer, in my opinion. In fact, I gave my latest Tecnos to my son but kept my old De Rosa. I also have owned three 853 or Foco steel bikes (newer technology) and I'd give the older Colnago and De Rosa a higher rating.

Vikingman

by Vikingman

Here is a picture of my 59cm Master in the LX 14 paintscheme.

It is partly built here, DA kranks missing. The Fork is a Selcof fullcarbon, it came with the frame directly from the shop, so i do not have the original Colnago Star fork.

Rides very stable, comfortable, but still with a lot of speed if you push the pace, enough stiffness in the BB so it does not feel soft like some steelframes do You need to have some setback on the seatpost to get the ridequality out, if you move the seat too much forward it feels sluggish for some reason.

this is the bike i intend to keep forever :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheFatGuy

by TheFatGuy

I too prefer the De Rosa- I think it is a more classic frame than the X-Light. The paint is quieter, the tubes more traditional.

I guess it is all a matter of taste, though.
This board would be MUCH nicer if everybody would just chill out.