swinter gotta like this cycling route warning

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

Try being chased by wild dogs in the mountains in Taiwan. Took me AGES to find out they were attracted by the loud noise of my campy freehub :wink:

swinter

by swinter

strobbekoen wrote:Try being chased by wild dogs in the mountains in Taiwan. Took me AGES to find out they were attracted by the loud noise of my campy freehub :wink:

Now that I've had my rabies shots, it wouldn't be quite as scary! :shock:
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeffr

by jeffr

I've also noticed not to let the freewheel kick in when I know dogs are near.

carbonfiberone and I were just cresting a hill in seattle once when a dog jumped out of the back of a pickup truck to come after us! Fortunately for us I think it was hurt when it landed because I suspect it was out for blood.

I've definitely done some dog sprints here. People seem to like to keep their dogs unfixed and unfenced here. I might carry some pepper spray.

RollinOn27s

by RollinOn27s

Juanmoretime wrote:At least where I live farm dogs are a sprint training method we use. I call them dog intervals.

On the serious side getting bitten just plain stinks.

About two years ago we had a guy show up at a training ride that no one knew. We were passing this farm and three dogs ran out and this guy hit one of the dogs at about 25 mph and went down hard. I had my cell phone with so it was a quick 911 call and we stayed with him until the paramedics showed up. A member of our team is a doctor and he determined that this guy had a broken collar bone. Like a typical cyclist the first thing out of his mouth after he hit the ground was, "Is my bike alright?"

Who went down? If it wasn't a college kid and he's still around, I probably know him, but haven't heard the story. I'm assuming Mike Ozment was the guy who helped?

Before a group ride this spring, I did some extra miles and got chased by a dog after an interval. I chose my route poorly, so in addition to being dead in the water, I was fighting a headwind, and the damn thing got me. Was coming back around for a second run at me but I kicked it in the face when it lunged for my leg. This was up on either High Cross or Cottonwood on my way back from Flatville. Then another dog gave chase as well a couple miles later, but I outran him. Not a good section to ride on, up there.

GrahamB

by GrahamB

Amazing. legally, it would seem to make as much sense as saying:
"I've left debris all over the public road, drove on it at your own risk".

I like dogs too, but if they are going to run onto public land and bite, they are a threat to public health... in principle they could be put down. Morally, the owner should take the bullet in most cases :evil:
Graham