New Power Meter To Have Rear View Camera

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

by 11.4

ergott wrote:When you are racing, you should be paying attention to what's in front of you. I stand by this no matter what those guys are doing.

-Eric

In concept I agree, but I also know a Masters World Champion who competes successfully in Cat I/II events. He had a cervical fusion a couple years ago and can no longer turn his head. He pulls up to the line with a rear-view mirror on his helmet and everyone not in the know is pointing at him. Those who know understand that he just wants to watch you as he drops you.

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

DocRay wrote:My issue with mirrors is that if they are to be useful, you have to stare at them at all times. Dependence on them is dangerous.

I have the ability to turn my head 90 degrees and look back. Costs free. Ears included.

Turning my head 90 degrees gives me a very poor peripheral view of something coming up on the left. It also takes way more effort and time than a millisecond glance at a mirror. And considering how many times I've had my neck jacked in crashes and such, it hurts to turn it...

When I'm riding into a headwind I can't hear anything coming up behind me, plus when it matters most (there is a truck approaching) I really can't hear. I like to know if there is a cowboy pulling a horse trailer at 80mph trying to squeeze by while a semi is coming from the opposite way... I *will* head for the last inch of pavement then.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Are objects closer then they appear?

Because if they are, your toast or road pizza....

Basically you cannot do much if a car or truck comes up from behind whether you got the mirror or not.

First, you should be aware of things around with the 180 degree view angle without even turning your head.
The reaction time of your peripheral vision should be almost instant.
You should always be scanning ahead way before you reach the point you are scanning.
You should always be anticipating the move you will make based on the current situation that you are scanning.
Your hearing will be the first sign of what is coming behind you, then your vision is next.
If you have bad hearing or you can't turn your head properly you should get the mirror but you should also avoid riding in traffic.

djconnel

by djconnel

ergott wrote:When you are racing, you should be paying attention to what's in front of you. I stand by this no matter what those guys are doing.

-Eric

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

stella-azzurra wrote:Basically you cannot do much if a car or truck comes up from behind whether you got the mirror or not.

Yes you can. I normally ride a couple of feet (at least) from the edge of the pavement. If someone passes me when they can't give me decent space, I have an extra couple feet that I can move over. Instead of getting missed by few inches (or less) I now have a couple of feet. I only move over if I have to. I glance in the mirror whenever a large vehicle approaches to see if someone is going to pass me at the same time. That's pretty much the only time I use it.

jthurd

by jthurd

djconnel wrote:

-Eric

Nice.
After doing some traveling in Fl and Tx I can totally understand riding with a mirror. Then again, I avoid those places like the plague. Some places were not built for cyclists. I'm spoiled with my training grounds and I'd like to keep it that way.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

djconnel, that was hilarious!!!

Nice one, mate.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

rruff wrote:
stella-azzurra wrote:Basically you cannot do much if a car or truck comes up from behind whether you got the mirror or not.

Yes you can. I normally ride a couple of feet (at least) from the edge of the pavement. If someone passes me when they can't give me decent space, I have an extra couple feet that I can move over. Instead of getting missed by few inches (or less) I now have a couple of feet. I only move over if I have to. I glance in the mirror whenever a large vehicle approaches to see if someone is going to pass me at the same time. That's pretty much the only time I use it.

That's not what I meant. What I mean is if the driver of the car or truck is not paying attention and runs into you from behind. You have no where to go. I'm not talking about moving a foot or 2. What I am saying is do not rely on the mirror to save your life. Same goes for the helmet. You can have the mirror and the helmet but the thing that saves your life is being focused 100% and being aware of stuff that is going on around you.

ergott

by ergott

djconnel wrote:

-Eric

Just think, He could have had an even bigger gap if he just had a mirror. :roll:

-Eric

chrism

by chrism

stella-azzurra wrote:That's not what I meant. What I mean is if the driver of the car or truck is not paying attention and runs into you from behind. You have no where to go. I'm not talking about moving a foot or 2. What I am saying is do not rely on the mirror to save your life. Same goes for the helmet. You can have the mirror and the helmet but the thing that saves your life is being focused 100% and being aware of stuff that is going on around you.

If you have a mirror you can see the car coming and if they're obviously not going to pull out, ride off the road (unless you're on a country lane enclosed by hedges, you almost always do have somewhere to go, even on the little roads in the UK).
No scales on the trails

Danton

by Danton

Can you see a TV/phone/ipod screen when the sun shines on it? Usually I can't. :?

ChristianB

by ChristianB

Am I the only one thinking: How much does a mirror weight ?

8)

urace4me2

by urace4me2

Paul Curley, Frank Jennings, Lloyd "The Shark " Hlavac all use mirrors. They were the "studs" when I started racing 15 years ago. I have raced with one the whole time. Sure they are super dork looking but every time I break away and win a race I cry all the way to the results posting and also when picking up my cash. My mirror allows me to see the packs reaction to an attack and I can check and recheck the reaction without breaking rythym. I can shut the engine down if it's hopeless sooner, saving energy. I can put in an extra effort to try to break the chase's spirit a bit. All things I might not be able to manage without a mirror. Not to mention tactical sprinting from a small breakaway group. It's so dorky that my wife likes it 'cause it keeps the women from hitting on me. I know three guys that use them all the time that have about 15 stars and stripes jerseys between them. Yes mirrors are useless and dorky. Don't even think of using one. But if you never attack in a race they are kind of useless. If you're not a big dog, stay on the porch! :D

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

stella-azzurra wrote:What I am saying is do not rely on the mirror to save your life. Same goes for the helmet. You can have the mirror and the helmet but the thing that saves your life is being focused 100% and being aware of stuff that is going on around you.

Which is why I like having the mirror. Unfortunately, I pretty much have to rely on motorists seeing me because most of the roads do not have shoulders and I'm riding in the lane. Wear bright clothes and don't ride towards the setting sun. Traffic isn't heavy, so most drivers can give me plenty of room while passing... but sometimes there is a blind corner or approaching large vehicles, and they pass anyway. At those times I like to know they are doing it so I can move over... but only after it is clear they are passing me. My normal position "encourages" them to wait. Cowboys with horse trailers seem to be the worst since they don't even slow down and don't seem to care if they hit you. I don't count on anything "saving" me... we all gotta die sometime.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

ChristianB wrote:How much does a mirror weight ?

What about the aerodynamics of wearing a mirror?