swinter gotta like this cycling route warning

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Herbert

by Herbert

During the 2007 Tour De Georgia, fellow weight weenie swinter got bitten by a dog on Pope Creek Road. Several cyclists and runners have been bitten by one of six dogs from that property and after a recent encounter with cyclists (after a crash) the owner of these dogs ( a Veterinarian) put up the following signs.

Isn't he considerate.

Herbert

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drjones96

by drjones96

ppfffff :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If only steve had that warning earlier in the year.

I'm sure this sign is visable from far enough distance for a would-be bite victim and would have time to change his/her mind about continuing farther. :roll:

smithy1.0

by smithy1.0

Back in the day when my dad used to road cycle, one of the guys that rode with him carried a pump filled with lead shot to "fend" off dogs. That'll learn em' :lol:
Orbea Alma Carbon MTB
GT-R Ultra Carbon Road

Click for my Blog!

Theros

by Theros

Ah dogs and cycles, last summer in the south of France a dog thought it would be fun to chase me on my mountainbike for 30 minutes or so, he then stopped and I continued my journey. When I was on my way back I saw the dog again gasping for air like no other, and that was like another 30 minutes from when he stopped chasing me. I hope he was still ok :lol: That same summer I also had a group of bee's chasing me after I apparently disrupted them, and no that wasn't fun.

Herbert

by Herbert

The funny thing is, this guy admits upfront that there is a problem and that he is aware of it. Now if something happens such as someone getting badly bitten or run over by a car after a crash, the dog owner is truly fudged.

H

drjones96

by drjones96

yeah, he was better off just denying that the dogs belonged to him :lol:

Herbert

by Herbert

He posted about 6 or 7 signs along those lines, so yes he is aware and denying ownership of his 6 dogs would be tough. After all, the animal hospital he runs, brag about all his animals on their website. :-)

H

Theros

by Theros

Juanmoretime wrote:At least where I live farm dogs are a sprint training method we use. I call them dog intervals.

On the serious side getting bitten just plain stinks.

About two years ago we had a guy show up at a training ride that no one knew. We were passing this farm and three dogs ran out and this guy hit one of the dogs at about 25 mph and went down hard. I had my cell phone with so it was a quick 911 call and we stayed with him until the paramedics showed up. A member of our team is a doctor and he determined that this guy had a broken collar bone. Like a typical cyclist the first thing out of his mouth after he hit the ground was, "Is my bike alright?"
Yeah dogs are Lightweight killers :twisted:

mzagorski

by mzagorski

that sign simply translates as "it's open season on my pooches... bring a couple pumps / pepperspray / tazers"...

swinter

by swinter

This is so f*cked up, I don't know where to begin. As you will recall, when the sheriff's office found him he denied that the dogs were his; said it must have been wild dogs. So I went through the rabies shots to be safe.

Lot of good the signs will do, btw. As I recall, there's no turn off, intersections, or parallel roads along that stretch.

Someone should -- and eventually will -- sue his ass.

(But not to worry, the dogbite was superficial; I healed fine, and managed another 3000 miles afterward.)
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

Hyde

by Hyde

Sounds like that guy needs to stand in front of a train. Obviously he can't train his dogs well enough to not leave the yard or know when it's ok to attack. & he isn't man enough to fess up. I like dogs, they are great animals. Owners suck!!!

drjones96

by drjones96

Definitely not the dogs' fault. The owner is just too stupid to keep them contained. He obviously doesn't care about their well-being enough to keep them from getting hit by a car. It's even more surprising that he's a vet. What kind of vet lets his dogs just roam free like that?

Skunk

by Skunk

I'm surprised he hasn't been sued yet.

At least he put some thought into his sign. The dual tone is a nice touch.

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

He better own that road or be the majority of the US senate for that sign to be of any use :lol:
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com