How is cycling in San francisco??

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

FABDUB

by FABDUB

I will live in San francisco for 2 years, i am french competitor in first category, i will continue my career in that country and i would like to know how are the teams; how are the races, if that country is a good one to practice cycling!

Thanks for your help.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

C'mon everyone, let's help the Frenchman out.

FABDUB, while I have never cycled in the San Francisco area, I have spent some time there and explored the surrounding land. I will say that just outside of the city is some of the most beautiful land in the world. You will have your choice to train in flat valleys or climb fantastic mountains. The Napa Valley is a very special place (and even though you have the good fortune of growing up in France, I think you will be very impressed with the food and wine in the area). The weather will be variable but not so different from many parts of France. Perhaps warmer in the winter and not as hot in the summer.

If you don't have time to get out of the city you can get some quick training in on some of the hills in the city. Try a few repeats on any of these:

The Steepest Streets in the City
1. Filbert between Leavenworth and Hyde (31.5% grade)
2. 22nd Street between Church and Vicksburg (31.5% grade)
3. Jones between Union and Filbert (29% grade)
4. Duboce between Buena Vista and Alpine (27.9% grade)
5. Jones between Green and Union (26% grade)
6. Webster between Vallejo and Broadway 26% grade)
7. Duboce between Alpine and Divisadero (25% grade)
8. Jones between Pine and California (24.8 grade)
9. Fillmore between Vallejo and Broadway (24% grade)

As for the racing scene in San Fran I cannot answer, but California in general probably has the best racing/cycling culture of any place in the USA.

nikh

by nikh

You might have more of a response here being specific to the region.

Good luck with the move!
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

FABDUB

by FABDUB

Many thanks for your reponses, that's interesting!!

Craigagogo

by Craigagogo

I have stayed in Emeryville just north of Alameda. I can attest there is some awesome riding in this area, ironically with such a dense urban environment nearby. Within 10 to 15 minutes ride time you can be climbing hills like Snake Rd and Broadway Terrace to overcome the ridge and viola, all that city riding is behind you. From there you will find beautiful scenic vistas with some challenging rolleur type terrain. This area sports motorists that are very bike friendly (as they are likely riders too!), so virtually no irate encounters while exiting the city! Truly town and country. This is only a small vignette of an incredibly awesome area to enjoy cycling. Best of luck with the re-location and exploring new environs.

Cheers,
Craig
More than 10 years a Weenie!

Chasen1211

by Chasen1211

great cycling! depending on where you live(peninsula, east bay, south bay...) you will find great riding area. do you know where exactly which part of SF you will be living in yet?

FABDUB

by FABDUB

Thanks for all the response, so normaly we will leave near Stanford University, so in the peninsule, Palo Alto maybe!! I am very ampatient to discover that country, and moreover the weather because here in normandy it rain all days since one week!!

ElDuderino

by ElDuderino

Salut!

Lots of good racing up there. One of the strongest race scenes in all of the USA. C'est la region plus forte pour velo de toutes Etats Uni. Enjoy the experience I'm doing the reverse in your country! When will you move there?

FABDUB

by FABDUB

We will leave france normaly in mid-january for two years. And you, when will you leave US, and where will you live?

Chasen1211

by Chasen1211

that's great! Palo Alto is one of the best places to live, some might say Palo Alto is the center of the cycling community in the Bay Area. their are quite a few teams around that area and tons of racing. Check out Alto Velo, they are a very strong team and are in that area.

btw, California is by far, one of the best places to live imho.... in mid December, it is super clear sky and 55 degrees. absolutely BEAUTIFUL!

ericm

by ericm

Palo Alto is a great place to ride from. If you are looking for places to live, the College Terrace area just to the south of campus is very nice.

Alto Velo: http://altovelo.org/ it's a good club, well organized, a lot of nice people.

There are a lot of clubs and regular training rides in the area. Cycling is very popular here compared to the rest of the USA.

The '08 Northern California race schedule is up at:

http://ncnca.org/road/

FABDUB

by FABDUB

Do you know Team Lombardi, because i am in contact with that team?

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Old La Honda and Page Mill, baby!!

FABDUB

by FABDUB

don't understand!!

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

HammerTime2 wrote:Old La Honda and Page Mill, baby!!

Two nice climbs, both within 10 km of Stanford (Palo Alto).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com