Tubular glue strength comparison test

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spaniardclimber

by spaniardclimber

Thought it may be of interest for some of you:
http://www.bsn.com/Cycling/articles/cements.html
Seems like Vitoria glue is the best.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

martin

by martin

spaniardclimber wrote:Thought it may be of interest for some of you:

I have made a habit out of taking anything on Edward Zimmermanns website with a grain of salt :? . Although at a first glance, that article seems to have a very scientific approach.
I could't find a date, though. I think that some of the glues tested are not available anymore. also, the Tufo tape wasn't tested.
Snowman and Strong Walker
Scott Sc
my old stuff
my new stuff

spaniardclimber

by spaniardclimber

It's of 1995.
I've discarded tufo tape, and now Im looking for the best glue, it seems that the choice is between vittoria and continental.

bobalou

by bobalou

spaniardclimber wrote:It's of 1995.
I've discarded tufo tape, and now Im looking for the best glue, it seems that the choice is between vittoria and continental.

What do you not like about the tufo tape?

spaniardclimber

by spaniardclimber

bobalou wrote:
spaniardclimber wrote:It's of 1995.

What do you not like about the tufo tape?

The only thing that backs me off using it is if yu have to change a tire in the middle of a ride:
When you mount the tire for the first time, you put it over the tape and then you pull the red protection tape so the glue tape sticks to the tire, but if you have to change the tire during a ride you don't have that red protection tape, so I guess that mounting the new tire will be a pain....thats the only reason for not using tufo tape.

toko

by toko

But for Race Wheels only i'll don't have this problem...i have the same doubt that you,Tufo Tape or Glue... :?

spaniardclimber

by spaniardclimber

My races are 150-200km long, so having a flat and not being able to fix it might end in calling my girlfriend to come and pick me up and not finishing the race, and that's not a good idea...Im still debating between glue and tape....

Boonen

by Boonen

if you are afraid of rolling a spare tubular try mounting it to a new wheel and pump it to 8 bar. These are HARD to get off the rim even without glue! I even heard of this guy riding LEW rims without glue all the time for years without problems. Although I think this is just plain STUPID it kinda proves how well an inflated tubular stays on the rim. Just use a CO2 pattern and you'll be fine.
I'd still go for the glue though. I don't have good experience with the tape. I tried it on a cyclocross bike because it is very easy, but as soon as it gets wet between the casing and the tape it doesn't stick anymore and you would have to put new tape on.
I allways use the vittoria glue, just make sure to allways put the lid on the jar tight and always stirr the glue before you use it, because if you don't you will get a bad layer of glue (talking from experience ;o)
If you are new to glueing tubulars make sure you read into what you are doing and if you are not confident about it ask somebody who knows how to help you.

good luck!

mises

by mises

I think I read some followup research that showed the glues were around 60% of the strength when used on carbon rims though the rankings remained the same.

What I didn't like about the tape was the necessity of taking a spare tape for every spare tire (the tape always came off with the tire and couldn't be removed leaving a bare rim) and mounting tires straight was a pain. Plus I have never had any trouble with glued tires on descents.

smallfish101

by smallfish101

martin wrote:
spaniardclimber wrote:Thought it may be of interest for some of you:

I could't find a date, though. I think that some of the glues tested are not available anymore. also, the Tufo tape wasn't tested.

1993 - at the bottom, explains why some glues not available
GO HARD OR GO HOME

jersievers

by jersievers

Vittoria Mastik'One Rim Cement is the Best.

Most of the pro teams use it. I have looked at several research reports on the best rim cement, Mastik comes out on top in every test, by a long shot. Please don't make me find that research again, it was a pain to find in the first place. If I remember they did research based on drying time, temp cold and hot, and submersion in water. The bsn.com report listed above was one of them, but I remember finding two more reports.

Consequently, I bought a few 12 oz cans of the stuff. Tufo tape scares me.

Paco Bonnin

by Paco Bonnin

I like Conti glue the best. Mastik is too messy in my experience, although I can see why some people swear by it.
I was very wary of Tufo's tape at first, but it seems to hold up fine. I'd be worried mostly if I lived in the mounatins and my tires saw a lot of heat and forces trying to roll them.
I have also heard of dudes riding around with unglued tubbies, now that's insane! :shock: I guess this one dude didn't even know they were supposed to be glued to the rim :roll:
BURN YOUR LEGS, NOT OIL!

Adrien
WWotY 2007

by Adrien

What do you use to remove the glue on a carbon rim? And on a non carbon one?
This is really hard to remove and the glue on my Zipp adds 12gr when it's dried, So I'd like to remove the glue before gluing a new tubular(Il lsave some grams)

Cyco

by Cyco

It would be interesting to know what the strength of a shellaced tyre is compared to the standard glues.

It is much harder to work with, does not restick well on the road, but is very hard and so therefore faster if used on race wheels.
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

martin

by martin

Adrien wrote:What do you use to remove the glue on a carbon rim? And on a non carbon one?
This is really hard to remove and the glue on my Zipp adds 12gr when it's dried, So I'd like to remove the glue before gluing a new tubular(Il lsave some grams)

I use the stuff you put in Zippo style lighters
Snowman and Strong Walker
Scott Sc
my old stuff
my new stuff