Shifter/lever + disc brake combo

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Nicolai

by Nicolai

Since I'm not competing, so suck my ^^^ **** UCI, but do like some decent brakingpower even in our - ahem - not so sunny or fair winterweather, I'm tempted of disc brakes.

Any suggestions for a shifter/lever + disc combo that actually could work? I'm so tempted of letting me have a custom made CC frame.
Oh! - Suits you sir!

Cyco

by Cyco

Nicolai, Avid has a version of their cable actuated disc brake that is designed to work with road levers.
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nicolai

by Nicolai

Cyco wrote:Nicolai, Avid has a version of their cable actuated disc brake that is designed to work with road levers.

Thx, Cyco. I guess that Avid might be the only alternative. Dunno if that's good or bad :?
Oh! - Suits you sir!

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

There are reveral oppinions...Tecktro, Hayes etc. Hayes and Avid's are good. (Cannondale uses Avid's them in their CC's)

For finer bike, Formula and Hope makes fluid disk brakes for road bikes. They convert cable pull to hydraylic pressure in stem section located system.

Nicolai

by Nicolai

Samu Ilonen wrote:There are reveral oppinions...Tecktro, Hayes etc. Hayes and Avid's are good. (Cannondale uses Avid's them in their CC's)

For finer bike, Formula and Hope makes fluid disk brakes for road bikes. They convert cable pull to hydraylic pressure in stem section located system.

Thanks & tattis Samu, I'll study the hydraulic conversion too.

Now, if you don't mind, I'll ask a suspension fork suggestion. Not that I'm in a need of any treelog bashing, but the often uneven ice layer over our roads is jarring and shaking my amalgam fillings from my teeth :shock:
I'm also tempted of somewhat skinnier tires (when studded tires are not needed) and thus less rolling resistance. "Skinny" CC tires would gain some control with suspension.

What I have in mind, is actually MTB fork, with a reasonably large arch, so that a 700 CC tire still fits. If that's a no can do, I'll have 26 wheels (and Nokian studded icebreakers) anyway. The headset size don't matter, since the frame will eventually be tailormade around the fork this time.

In this particular case, I don't mind too much of WWism in the functional parts, just want decent and supple fork function (no need for more than 70-90 mm fork travel) in icy or near icy weather conditions.

Does Fox 80 RLT have an arch big enough to fit, say Vredestein Campo 28 mm or similar? Melike Campo, since it has nice fat knobs on the side, that can be studded easily.
Oh! - Suits you sir!