Light weight stems

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JTC

by JTC

I am still debating on stems. I am looking at the ITM "The Stem" and the Extralight Ultra stem. Any experiences with these? The "The Stem" makes me a little nervious being mag. and the fact that when you go to the ITM site the first thing that pops up is careful instructions on how to mount it. Any other stems out there that are better? Only requirement is that it be black and weight close to 100g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nikh

by nikh

How about the Syntace F99/260 its in black too!

http://www.syntace.com/

PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

JTC

by JTC

Looks like a great option. Have you tried one? Is it pretty stiff?

nikh

by nikh

JTC wrote:Looks like a great option. Have you tried one? Is it pretty stiff?

I have the MTB version 105mm with Ti bolt kit, it sits at 97g ordered from gypzybikz.com direct.
It seams stiff enough more so than my Extralite and without the worry of the face plate cracking.
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

giovanni

by giovanni

Hey JTC,
I have the syntace F99 stem and I love it, I had bought the ITM stem which was said to be 95 grams in the 100mm size, got home and the weight was 137 grams!!!!!.
So with that I returned it to the bike store and then bought the syntace F99, that turned out to be the best thing I could have done :),and besides I saved about $125.00. This stem is solid and has no creaks what so ever, and if you think the web site has warnings about the stem just wait till you read the instructions :shock: It's enough to scare anyone.
Giovanni.
Last edited by giovanni on Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

benz76

by benz76

One of my usal dealers is in judgment (I don't know the exact word... sorry) with ITM, because one The Stem he fitted on a customer's bike broke suddenly... and the poor customer got very badly hurted.
Avoid it! In my opinion one brake (without any warning sign before the crash) is enough to keep me far from it!

Bye, Benz.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com