converting shimano to campag... is it possible?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

marktickner

by marktickner

I am trying to sell my Spinergy Tilium Carbon wheels that are shimano compatible. My friend wants them but has a campag groupset.
Is it possible to convert this wheel to be campag compatible without changing the hub of the wheel?

Is there a special cassette that can do this?
Many thanks

newbieweenie

by newbieweenie

Yup, I'm gonna have to do this myself on my Bontrager Race Lites. Check out American classic. They make a Campy drivetrain compatible cassette that will fit on a shimano hub.
Last edited by newbieweenie on Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Try to do a search on this topic...

It was discussed not very long ago! :D
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

marko

by marko

If it's 10 speed, just run a shimano 10sp cassette.

bobalou

by bobalou

10-speed shimano cassette is more narrow then campy and will not work without modfication. Seems like there is a post on this subject almost every week! The admins could almost make a sticky out of it!

Look, here was a post about a week ago .. check yourself. :D

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... php?t=4491

newbieweenie

by newbieweenie

Seriously, just get one ofe the conversion cassettes. Its an expensive route, but the cleanest and most reliable.

Mr_Potatohead

by Mr_Potatohead

if you reallu want to do it right why not get a campy freehub body and re-dish the wheel. Do they not make campy freehub bodies for that wheel?

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

bobalou wrote:10-speed shimano cassette is more narrow then campy and will not work without modfication. Seems like there is a post on this subject almost every week! The admins could almost make a sticky out of it!

yep, almost!

Look, here was a post about a week ago .. check yourself. :D

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... php?t=4491

Thanks Bobalou!

To everybody: Please run a search on this and you will find the answers you need!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Ti

by Ti

For the price of a new cassette you might just as well buy a new freehub body which should be around $80-$100 US.This is from experience the best way to go as the other cassettes never shift perfect. :D

newbieweenie

by newbieweenie

But then you have to go through the hassle or added expense of rebuilding the wheel.

Dennis

by Dennis

I think you can just replace the body, you don't have to replace the whole hub i think.

newbieweenie

by newbieweenie

Oh really, well thats interesting. I'll have to write Bontrager to find out.

Ti

by Ti

newbieweenie wrote:But then you have to go through the hassle or added expense of rebuilding the wheel.

As far as I know you just change the freehub body.It would make no sense on there part for production purposes to do it otherwise.This works with most hubs.

marktickner

by marktickner

Went to one of the most well established road racing shops in the UK (Condor Cycles) and the assured me that you can do 2 things:
1. Change the frrehub body at a cost of about £50 + labour.
2. Buy the conversion cassette which is more expensive (didint know how much they were though).

He also said that the best way in his opinion was to change the freehub body. But having the option to change from campy and shimano by just swapping cassettes seems better to me.
Thanks for all your replies. I am hoping now my friend will want to buy my wheels as he has campy and I have shimano!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobalou

by bobalou

maybe I should take my own medicine and do a :search: heh.. but I seem to recall that there's a spacer kit to use on the DA-10 cassette that would make it campy compatible.