New Bike For a Future Superstar ;)

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

drjones96

by drjones96

I bought this for my oldest. She just turned 10. She's always expressed some interest in my riding and liked riding around the neighborhood with me but then there was always some reluctance to actually get a bike like this herself. So I just decided to make the leap this birthday and get her a road bike to learn on.

Check out the size. It's got 650 wheels on it though instead of the little 24" wheels that come on trek's kid's road bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Gregorio

by Gregorio

We need weights.
Very nice idea. I have caught my 9 yr old daughter trying to throw a leg over my bike before. The way she crashes on her little mtb, makes me nervous to see her even stand in the same room as my bike.
I see a computer on there as well. Good for encouragement.

geraldatwork

by geraldatwork

Very nice bike for a 10 year old. Hope she loves it.
"Really fast people are frustrating, but they make you faster. When you get faster, you might frustrate someone else."

2009 Trek Madone 5.5 Project One SRAM Force 16.4 lbs w/pedals and cages.
2007 Bianchi 928 Carbon Lugged- SRAM Rival-17 lbs.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

That's a lot nicer than the 30 year old single speed heavyweight (26.8 kg?) bike I got when I was 10.

The bottle looks like a tight fit - perhaps she'll only use it when stopped? Is she still a little young yet for clip in pedals? Also, not a very pro drop, and the jerk thinks her stem is too short.

drjones96

by drjones96

Gregorio wrote:We need weights.
Very nice idea. I have caught my 9 yr old daughter trying to throw a leg over my bike before. The way she crashes on her little mtb, makes me nervous to see her even stand in the same room as my bike.
I see a computer on there as well. Good for encouragement.

I've no idea what it weighs but she picked it up to move it out of the garage for a ride yesterday and commented on how light it was. Well....it's just a lot lighter than her 20" BMX style bike that appears mostly steel. She can haul tail on this bike. On her 20" bike she couldn't even begin to keep up with me.

I had recently changed to a Polar HRM/Computer so I just put my old computer on her bike. It's a Cateye Micro Wireless.

HammerTime2 wrote:The bottle looks like a tight fit - perhaps she'll only use it when stopped? Is she still a little young yet for clip in pedals? Also, not a very pro drop, and the jerk thinks her stem is too short.

I thought the same thing about the bottle. I'm thinking about finding a cage that will sit in the frame lower on the downtube. Until she gets the riding thing down pat I'm recommending she doesn't drink and ride at the same time.

Indeed...the jerk wouldn't approve of the stem. But I'll say that this allows her to grow with the bike a bit.

rustychain

by rustychain

She will love it I'm sure but...................would it not be cool if she had Lightweights on it! Oh sure. I think she may let you use em every now and then :wink:
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

marecej

by marecej

some clavis and the new ax sl line .. ;-)
Unno Horn = 8100g
Ellsworth Truth = 9371g

Sam

by Sam

Almost feel like I wish I had kids... and I'm only 23.

evenfasterson

by evenfasterson

What about a side loading bottle cage? It would be carbon aswell. 8)

Also MTB SPD pedals are very good for younger riders. My cousin has been on them since he was 8 and his little brother is starting to use them I think and he's 8 aswell now. But obviously riding a road bike will take some geting used to so perhaps not just yet.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Nice. Went to my LBS to get my twin children fitted for new racing bikes and was told that at 5 1/2 months they may be a bit young yet. Cant wait 10 years to go biking with them! :)
"I saw you with elephants hosing down some dwarves on black and white TV" - Ode to Anthony H Wilson

jay cee

by jay cee

thats a really cool little bike for her! I hope she enjoys it, and a bonus is, another person on a bike!!
J EURO

Flossie

by Flossie

I'm currently dragging my 8 year old daughter round on the back of a tandem. It was 5degrees yesterday and she still insisted we went for a ride!
If they enjoy it, thats 95% of the battle!!
Arms of a sprinter, legs of a climber, lungs of a smoker!
I cycle, therefore I am.
http://www.dukinfieldcc.org/ http://photobucket.com/albums/b32/clpowellbikes/

drjones96

by drjones96

Well we went for a spin today.
Look at these guys... :lol:

She did pretty good for a first ride. We rode about 8 miles. Was pretty windy but the weather was really nice at almost 80F!

Good times were had by all.

GrahamB

by GrahamB

Hey, neat idea... hook the kids to the back of the SUV so you can't hear them inside :thumbup: :D

drjones96 wrote:Well we went for a spin today.
Look at these guys... :lol:
Graham

frd

by frd

That's a great bike! She has a very good position too! :D
I see a lot of room for tuning, with such a small frame you could easily go sub-6kg :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com