Lightest Aerobars?...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Triathlete

by Triathlete

I'm looking for a light pair of integrated aerobars/handlebars. I already own a pair of the Profile CarbonX (purchased a few years ago). I've looked at VisionTech (wasn't too impressed). I'm pretty keen to the AEROblue (attached) from Deda Elementi (897 grams) but was wondering if anyone knew of a lighter (or perhaps) better aerobar.

Thanks (in advance) for your attention.

-giancarlo
Attachments
AEROblue from Deda Elementi (supposedly 897 grams).
AEROblue from Deda Elementi (supposedly 897 grams).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cyco

by Cyco

The ultimate in German carbon technology - Now in English

http://www.schmolke-carbon-titan.de/car ... _c_uk.html

by Guest

Why buy a heavy integrated combination when you can get it lighter by using Syntace parts:

Syntace Megaforce 260 90mm 150 g
Syntace Stratos size L 250 g
Syntace Clip Ultralight size L 410 g

Makes 810 g for comfortable, rocksolid but yet ultralight aero handlebars.
And with an ITM "The Stem" you could save another 50 grams.

All those new-fashioned one-piece combinations are notorious
for going to pieces (see last year's TDF), beeing uncomfortable and heavy as hell.

Triathlete

by Triathlete

I've already got a Syntace setup on my bike. I've had some bad experiences with clip-ons slipping during fast descents. Also... I assumed an integrated system would be lighter than two pieces (with their required bolts).

The TDF reference makes a good point.

Someone (on a different board) recommended HED aerobars (also integrated, and lighter than the Dedas), but (if I'm not mistaken) those were the bars coming apart during the TDF TT.

-gc

by Guest

Have you carefully followed the torque specs for the bolts of the clip-ons?
Were the bars clean/degreased before the installation?
And how did it happen: did you hit a road hole?

AFAIR the broken aero bar during a TT of the TDF was from ITM.

Triathlete

by Triathlete

No... my LBS initally installed the bars. They gave me a deal on a scratched pair. I was constantly plagued by slight movement (over the course of a ride), but nothing major.

I later flew my bike (actually, I flew in a plane, but my bike came with me) to California and had (to say the least) a large slip of the bars when I hit a bump in the road during a fast descent.

I guess part of why I'm looking for an integrated setup is because I haven't had any problems with the Profile (carbonX) but would like something lighter. If that makes any sense.

-gc

Cyco

by Cyco

Easton has a set on the way. I had a play with a prototype at the trade show circuit (Australian leg).

Romano

by Romano

Try to amister Walser weight of untégated carbon bars he makes.
they are also custom made just for you.
He also produce carbon brake lever.

www.walser-cycles.ch

Romain

wally318

by wally318

I have looked at a lot of different combinations of clip-ons, bars and stems and one piece aero bars. The conclusion that I came to was if you want light weight you go with a 3 piece set up but if you want ultimate aerodynamics you use a integrated unit. But in either case to get the lightest/slipperiest it must be custom made or modified. I have modified a Cinelli angel bar that is much more aero than stock and will weigh aprox. 650 grams +/- a few grams when finished( I'm just cleaning up the welds and getting ready for paint right now) it will be mounted on a 14 lb. truly aero TT. bike. It seems plenty stiff enough for me and because it is a welded homogenous unit no chance of bars turning / dropping etc.

RyanH

by RyanH

At 350g, I think you'll be hard pressed to find something lighter than Haero Carbon's bars: https://www.haero-carbon.com/en/shop/handlebars/h253

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

ETA: HOLY THREAD REVIVAL... wasn't paying attention.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com