Lightest Water Bottle

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DPN

by DPN

I weighed my "normal" Nike water bottle, and it weighed over 115 grams! I weighed an empty Gatorade type PET plastic bottle and it weighed 25 grams...

Has anyone ever run across a decent, lightweight bottle? Can you get a colored PET type bottle?

Yes, I've searched, but all the results are for lightweight water bottle CAGES...never the bottle itself...

DPN

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeffr

by jeffr

bluredvision

by bluredvision

Do any of the drinks makers out there make a drink that comes in a bottle about the right size for a bottle cage?

The bottle would be clear, but you could always add a few drops of dye to the water to match your frame :-)

GrahamB

by GrahamB

bluredvision wrote:you could always add a few drops of dye to the water to match your frame :-)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D
Graham

Danton

by Danton

Try drilling it, or better still, dremel it.

Disraeligears

by Disraeligears

So does anyone know what the lightest water is? :?

baldy

by baldy

Better still get some dehydrated water.

Mottsauce

by Mottsauce

I seem to remember this conversation earlier. The concensus was that the Gatorade/bottle water type bottles are much lighter, but not easily resuable. Other than that, they're pretty much the same.

Gregorio

by Gregorio

Danton wrote:Try drilling it, or better still, dremel it.

Drilling or dremmeling will always lead to dribbling.
Hans may be working on that one.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Gregorio

by Gregorio

baldy wrote:Better still get some dehydrated water.

I tried that once and lost 1 1/2 pounds the next day

CAAD7R3000

by CAAD7R3000

Mottsauce wrote:I seem to remember this conversation earlier. The concensus was that the Gatorade/bottle water type bottles are much lighter, but not easily resuable. Other than that, they're pretty much the same.

Yes Mottsauce you are correct, PET/Gatorade type bottles are designed for single use only, and while they may be light, they are very hard to squeeze and the plastic tends to crush when squeezed rather than return to the original shape.

In saying that, 115 grams does sound heavy for a bottle, is it one of the Nike ones with the rubber grips as well as plastic? I would think that would add weight.

Our normal 750ml Bottles weight anywhere between 55gr and about 80gr depending on the quality of the bottle (we have a premium and promo range). Unfortunately the better quality bottles are actually heavier than the cheaper as the better softer, plastic is more dense and weighs a little more.

Gregorio

by Gregorio

Just weighed my 2 favorite water bottles. 750ml Campagnolo 77.4g and an Elite 700ml [??] 75.0g

DPN

by DPN

While I was braced for the inevitable onslaught of "drill holes" and "dehydrated water" jokes (and I still laugh when I see them), I kinda figured that SOMEONE would have run across a viable alternative. This is WEIGHT WEENIES, I thought...

I don't have a problem with the Gatorade bottle functionally. It fits my cage fine, and I don't seem to have any problems getting the contents to my mouth.

I don't have a problem if I have to replace it every 8 weeks, especially since it's free, as I've already paid for the Gatorade.

What I don't like is the green and orange cap...it doesn't match my red Pinarello... :wink:

I was hoping maybe someone knew of a lightweight (sub 30 gram) alternative available in colors...maybe some regional soda or sports drink?

Yeah, it's vanity...and it's also true in 99% of all other activities a heavier and "better quality" bottle would be a good thing, but this is WW. I have just spent a fair chunk of change cutting 3 pounds of my bike, and another few grams can't hurt...

DPN

HanSolo

by HanSolo

Speaking from experience, I personally wouldn't recommend this. If you have to, I'd start with the cap, but just small enough so dirt won't get in.

Danton wrote:Try drilling it, or better still, dremel it.
Everything can be drilled, except tires.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CAAD7R3000

by CAAD7R3000

Guys this is ridiculus, what are you going to get by drilling a cap, apart from a 0.5 gram saving and water leaking everywhere? I weighed a cap of ours, 4.2 grams for just the cap so assuming you drill a few holes you may not even save that.

@ DPN, what your explaining is exactly what you shouldn't do with pet bottles. 8 weeks between changing them is 8 weeks too long, these bottles are designed for single use only and then to be discarded. Please take my advice, you should be using for 1 week at the absolute maximum before throwing out this type of bottle.

Here is a simple explanation of the different plastics, PET plastic, which is used for these gatorade bottles/evian etc breaks down far easier and quicker, there are various studies, some positive and some negative which show that PET plastic can leach contaminents and chemicals from the plastic in to the water/liquid with repeated use as the plastic starts breaking down. You'll notice for those of you game enough to use one of these bottles for 8 weeks that near the end the plastic is a lot softer and squeezier, this is not a good thing, it means it's already breaking down.

Normal sports bottles are made from either LDPE or HDPE. The former is low density polyetherlene (better quality, softer but heavier) and the latter high density polyetherlene (harder, lower quality but lighter). These bottles are food grade plastic designed for repeated use for up to 1 year or more given the right care/cleaning.

Will you die from drinking out of a PET bottle for 8 weeks? Most probably not. But who knows what future research will bring. For me it's not worth the risk and I get proper bottles for free so it's s no brainer for me.

Can I ask how this is "Vanity" also? These Gatorade/PET bottles IMO are the crappiest looking bottles out there, which was also confirmed when you said the lid didn't match your frame. To me, Vanity would be having the bottle and lid colours being complementry to your bikes colour scheme which I do, and I'm vainer than most, on and off the bike and happy to admit it.

I can assure you that if these bottles worked as a long term bottle and there was big demand for them they would be on the market by now, but there isn't, so they aren't and probably never will be. For now it's just a select few guys that want to drill their lids out, 99.9999999% of bike users, WW or not will use proper bottles.

Rant over, apologies for being a bit passionate.