What is the nicest frame out there, doesn't have to be light

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Joel

by Joel

I too have a Prince: not very light, but good all-round performance.
The EV4 is quite weak, when you want a cheap light frame: Orbea

Superlite

by Superlite

Well that info was helpful, thanks. But I have narrowed it down to these brands, Flet, Fuji, Bianchi, Trek, Lemond, Guru, Colnago, and Kestrel, as these are the brands the shop carries. So from that list which brand and which frame would you buy? I want to keep it under $2500 if possible, but let me know which is the best.

Oh yeah, I weigh 130lbs. Maybe that will help on the EV4. Would it be good for me since I'm light? Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drew

by drew

I'll be less critical this time i promise.

Didnt Ullrich ride an EV4 this year, remember reading a test on his bike but can not find it now. If so he must weigh 50+ lbs over you.

Fuji seem to make decent lite frames not very "fancy" though.
Colnagos beautiful but heavy for $$. C40 is a love it or hate it kinda bike.
Dont know much about Kestral these days, you say flet i assume you mean Felt, a buddy has one, cant remember what model and craftsmanship is awesome. What can Lemond offer? you thinking tete de course? (sp) carbon/alloy

spytech

by spytech

my friend has a talon sl, and he loves it, says its pretty stiff. plus the bike looks good. lifetime warranty. frame is about 2.4lbs maybe less in your size.3

i would say go with kestrel, you can save some cash over the other bikes, its pretty light and stiff. it retails for a little over $1800, but i am sure your gonna get it cheaper than that.

Tim the Pineapple

by Tim the Pineapple

I personally would like a Richard Sachs, Pegoretti, Cyfac, Vanilla, Seven, IF or Sycip... any one of them would be nice.

A custom Ti Serrotta track bike would be great also...

Wish i was loaded with $

Naranja

by Naranja

weights over 1kg and costs over 1800€.......i don´t think it to be cheap....

Superlite

by Superlite

What about the cannondale CAAD 7 frameset, is that pretty nice? It weighs in at 1096g in 54cm. If I bought it I would get the framset without the dedicated BB, and us e Dura ace 04. What do you think?

Joel

by Joel

Good, nice frame, go for it

drew

by drew

Superlite wrote:What about the cannondale CAAD 7 frameset, is that pretty nice? It weighs in at 1096g in 54cm. If I bought it I would get the framset without the dedicated BB, and us e Dura ace 04. What do you think?

Where did you get the weight from? is it published somewhere?

that is the exact frame I ride, weighs 1110g with headset cups (integrated)
I really like it, very stiff some say too stiff. fat down tube makes for fairly harsh ride, but stays and carbon post help take most of the brunt.

How much is the frame?, I have been waiting 6 weeks for my CAAD 5 cross frame!

Naranja

by Naranja

a Orbea Starship (lifetime warranty, 1050gr, you customize the size to your body, you can customize colors.....)
it´s beautifull and light, but it doesn´t have the glamour of other frames as Prince SL, Dogma, Merak, King Carbono,.....