any new yorkers in the forum?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

alanlau

by alanlau

i'm a student come from hong kong
i wouldn't wanna go cycling alone
any riders in NYC?
can i go cycling with you? :o
Last edited by alanlau on Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

geraldatwork

by geraldatwork

I'm out on Long Island, a suburb east of New York City. My club rides on the weekends from Westbury about 25 miles out.
"Really fast people are frustrating, but they make you faster. When you get faster, you might frustrate someone else."

2009 Trek Madone 5.5 Project One SRAM Force 16.4 lbs w/pedals and cages.
2007 Bianchi 928 Carbon Lugged- SRAM Rival-17 lbs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alanlau

by alanlau

but i'm live in brooklyn
Is brooklyn very far from long island?
i ain't really familiar NYC now and my english is poor

justgoing

by justgoing

Go to Prospect Park one weekend morning - you will meet a lot of cyclists.

R&A Cycles and Roys are both in Bkyln - they can probably help you out.

Good luck and welcome to the States.

geraldatwork

by geraldatwork

alanlau wrote:but i'm live in brooklyn
Is brooklyn very far from long island?
i ain't really familiar NYC now and my english is poor

If you have a car depending on where in Brooklyn you may only be about 30 minutes away.There are many different skill levels of riders at the club I ride with. However it doesn't sound like you have a car and dragging a bike on subways and trains usually isn't worth it.
"Really fast people are frustrating, but they make you faster. When you get faster, you might frustrate someone else."

2009 Trek Madone 5.5 Project One SRAM Force 16.4 lbs w/pedals and cages.
2007 Bianchi 928 Carbon Lugged- SRAM Rival-17 lbs.

alanlau

by alanlau

justgoing wrote:Go to Prospect Park one weekend morning - you will meet a lot of cyclists.

R&A Cycles and Roys are both in Bkyln - they can probably help you out.

Good luck and welcome to the States.

i have gone two of the bike shop
R&A cycles is professional bike shop
Is Roys in Coney Island Ave?
Bianchi FG Lite Liquigas

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

I lived in Manhattan for many years and rode alone on a regular basis. The inner loop inside Central Park is 10 km long, has some nice terrain and is closed to auto traffic in the evenings. It is also relatively well lit and safe - except for those idiots on roller blades - give anyone on those goofy skates a WIDE berth. I would not be worried about riding alone in Manhattan. Take it easy until you get to the park and then ride. You'll find packs gather there in the evening and you can tag on. Eventually someone will talk to you - then you are no longer riding alone, are you?

This is all said of course as an option if you live near a bridge that gets you easily over to Manhattan. Otherwise it is Prospect Park.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

The majestic Alps or Pyrenees it is not. Then again that there is (was) a tree growing in Brooklyn is so noteworthy that it merited a whole movie.

If you want to ride, transfer to Stanford (California).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

swinter

by swinter

It's been a while since I lived in New York (and even longer since I biked there), but here are some suggestions for next Spring.

Prospect Park is a nice loop (with one little hill), but you'll have to go around many times to get in a decent ride.

You'll have to get out of the City for good riding; a car would help, but once you learn your way around the city it's possible to manage the bike on public transportation on the weekends.

There's some beautiful riding on the North Shore of Long Island (LIRR) especially around Oyster Bay, around the Arboretum, and Cold Spring Harbor. Parts of Westchester, too, especially as you get further North. (Metro North)

You might want to contact the railroads (LIRR & Metro North) and double check about bringing a bike on the train, but I would think that on the weekends it shouldn't be a problem.

In the City, you can ride along the Hudson River either through Riverside Park on on Riverside Drive (once you're past 116th St.) up to the George Washington Bridge. (There used to be a bike path from the park that runs along the river and under the Bridge, all the way up to the end of Manhattan.) There also used to be a pedestrian walkway across the George Washington (I don't know whether it is still open), but one of my favorite rides was to ride across the Bridge to New Jersey; if you loop to the left (south) there's a state park (site of a British fort in the Revolutionary War) just south of the Bridge with a road that runs down to the river, runs along the water about 15 miles or so, and then climbs back up the Palisades. You can return south on (I think it is) Route 9A. Not the Alps, but beautiful and a good climb.

I would suggest picking up some books of rides in the New York area. Do a search on Amazon.
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928