NGear "jump stop" chain device question??

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

with my new Pedal force MTB build i want to run a 1x9 set-up. 32T in the front and a 11-34 cassette. I will have no front derailleur of course so to insure the chain stays on I heard that this N-Gear chain device works well. The question i have is....does this device mount in the place where the front derailleur would go? Is the metal plate adjustable in and out to correctly fit snug up against the single ring? Anyone use this device with a single ring and no front derailleur? feedback?
Attachments
mount2.jpg
to go faster....just pedal harder!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WeightMunk

by WeightMunk

cyclemanpat wrote:with my new Pedal force MTB build i want to run a 1x9 set-up. 32T in the front and a 11-34 cassette. I will have no front derailleur of course so to insure the chain stays on I heard that this N-Gear chain device works well. The question i have is....does this device mount in the place where the front derailleur would go? Is the metal plate adjustable in and out to correctly fit snug up against the single ring? Anyone use this device with a single ring and no front derailleur? feedback?

Yes it mounts in place of the front derailleur, and yes you can adjust it in and out. I use it on my single ring cyclocross bike. Lots of training and racing, never dropped the chain.

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

sweet!!! I just bought one

EuroMack

by EuroMack

Does anyone know a European source for N-Gear?

mpap89

by mpap89

i am running a 1x9 on my pedal force. i have had some trouble getting a good chain line and not dropping my chain. right now i'm trying the rohloff chain guide cc. its working ok. i still need to adjust my chainline slightly. but i might need to try this n gear thing.
Michael

johnnysuede

by johnnysuede

I can't speak highly enough about this choice. I have tried many other options before using the n'gear, including what I thought were some good homemade options, but this is the best working and lightest setup I've used so far. I have never dropped a chain with the n'gear. I am running a 1X9 32t front with an 11-34 cassette in the rear.

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

johnnysuede............

do you think you still need the Spot chain gaurd ring or would the chain still stay on without it? I want to run the same set-up you have but without the Spot gaurd ring.

cswi9367

by cswi9367

very nice. even if your running 2x9, its a great item.

whats the weight of these?

cswi9367

by cswi9367

30 grams

johnnysuede

by johnnysuede

cyclemanpat wrote:johnnysuede............

do you think you still need the Spot chain gaurd ring or would the chain still stay on without it? I want to run the same set-up you have but without the Spot gaurd ring.

I think it would. The chainline on my setup leans more to the inside. In other words my chainline is straight on the third cog from smallest, making the other six angled progressivly more. Before the n'gear my chain always dropped to the inside. I use the guard more for log rollovers than anything else. I love the amount of clearance a 1X9 (or single speed) setup gives you, but I still hit the ring every so often.

Baulz

by Baulz

Here is my setup, works really well. The guide is 22g, hoping to make it a bit lighter.
Last edited by Baulz on Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

just got my NGear today, very nice. I want to replace the heavy steel bolt with an alloy one.....anyone know what size that bolt is....length and head size?

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

got a Ngear for my new pedal Force frame and the frame is so thick at the spot where the Ngear mounts, that i need a longer bolt. Is the bolt that comes with the Ngear a M4 size?

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

Just measure it with a ruler.
Orbea Oiz - xxxx
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

I know what length i need, i just need to know the bolt thickness............which is either a M4 or M5