bike snob, NYC

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

I like this guy, he seems to have cyclists really figured out.

His review of the Boonen Tarmac SL2:

The latest flagship road bike from Specialized was developed with significant input from Quick Step--Innergetic rider Tom Boonen, who provided crucial insight such as: “What kind of bike am I riding again this year?;” “I like eggs, but not egg salad--isn’t that weird?;” and “How much am I being paid to ride this thing, anyway?” This collaboration paid off in a big way when Boonen won the overall green jersey competition in this year’s Tour de France. And it’s in no way stretching the truth to say that Boonen’s SL2 was entirely responsible for the victory.

The most important difference between the SL2 and the now embarrassingly obsolete SL is the 1.5” lower head tube bearing. This means that the lower head tube bearing is now 3/8” larger, yielding a measurable increase of 6/16” over last year’s model. If it helps to put this in real-world terms, think of it this way: over a Tour de France stage of 112 miles, the new lower headset bearing yields an overall size increase of .375 inches. And in a close finish, that bulbous carbon headtube can somehow mean the difference between winning and losing.

To put it simply, this bike climbs like a squirrel, descends like a greased squirrel on a luge, corners like a decagon, and accelerates like a methamphetamine-addicted rabbit. (Or like a Porsche being driven by a methamphetamine-addicted rabbit.) Overall, the effect of getting on this bike is like getting on one of those moving walkways in the airport--you feel like you’re going twice as fast, and you feel twice as smart as the idiots who didn’t bother getting on the walkway and just kept walking on the regular floor. And getting on any other bike afterwards is like when you get off the walkway and feel as though you’ve just stepped onto another planet with a completely different gravitational pull.

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2007/08 ... otout.html

de zwarten

by de zwarten

I've read it and think it's funny :lol:
the part about the EP is even better:

"I can also say that this bike climbs like a monkey in a set of crampons, descends like a monkey in a set of crampons being dropped from a helicopter, handles corners like a prostitute, and accelerates like a particle in a particle accelerator that itself is just a tiny particle in a giant particle accelerator."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobbyOCR

by bobbyOCR

I've been reading BSNY for a while and it's great. The posts about hipster culture are genius, but those reviews were good for a laugh. It is slightly accurate too.
Cyclist turned music producer

Visiting South West Australia? Visit Crank n' Cycles!

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

The Carbon Bottle Cage review is brilliant as well!
Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!

lincoln

by lincoln

Carbon cage is brilliant! Very WW ;)

racingtiger

by racingtiger

My favorite "...The Madone is their ultimate achievement in fulfilling the new Trek mandate—to create a bicycle that cannot and will not accept any components manufactured by a company other than Trek...."
NOW WITH MORE FLAVOR THAN KOOL-AID!

I'm 129 lbs! How's that for light!

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

That's called vertical integration.

First vertical dropouts, now vertical integration.

Maybe you guys should develop standards for the FNTSC/JMT (Frame Not Trek, Specialized, Nor Cannondale) frame . It would have totally open interfaces for everything. And best of all for me, as the FFF (Free Frame Foundation) will sponsor it, it will be free. Later you can add free wheels and of course the FSSNSCS (Free Shifting Standard Not Shimano, Campagnolo, nor SRAM ).

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

Nice blog, likeable sense of humour.
The unbearable wallet lightness of being a weightweenie

racingtiger

by racingtiger

HammerTime2 wrote:That's called vertical integration.

Maybe you guys should develop standards for the FNTSC/JMT (Frame Not Trek, Specialized, Nor Cannondale) frame . It would have totally open interfaces for everything. And best of all for me, as the FFF (Free Frame Foundation) will sponsor it, it will be free. Later you can add free wheels and of course the FSSNSCS (Free Shifting Standard Not Shimano, Campagnolo, nor SRAM ).

Great idea! We could I wear these shirts to show our support.
NOW WITH MORE FLAVOR THAN KOOL-AID!

I'm 129 lbs! How's that for light!

=4cranks

by =4cranks

deleted
Equality for Cranks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Skyleth

by Skyleth

racingtiger wrote:
HammerTime2 wrote:That's called vertical integration.

Great idea! We could I wear these shirts to show our support.

Hah, almost

what HammerTime2 is referring to would be analgous to Open Source, and Open Source is not communism [slate.com], and it's out there, recently as the BB30 Standard

on topic: bikesnobnyc is a great blog
Rule #1. Superheroes Wear Tights