Please help me cover the ugly logo!

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

frd

by frd

Hi all,

I have a big problem that prevents me to sleep during the night :lol:

My new frame is perfect, except for an ugly "made in italy" logo on the top tube (under the clear coat).

The most radical solution would be to remove the clear coat, remove the logo and reapply clear coat. But I'm not sure I want to risk that operation (even if I find someone that can do a good job, it would still void warranty I think).
I suppose my only option is to cover it with a sticker, so I'm trying to design one.

The main theme of this bike is "understated", and it only makes things more difficult as the area to cover is quite big.
I was thinking something like a black background, a yellow Flanders flag and the name of my team in white. Probably both flag and name quite smaller than the black area.
Writing my name would be another option, but it would look a bit pretentious given that I'm just a 'Joe rider' that fights not to be dropped in humble local races. :D

What do you think?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jalapeno

by jalapeno

it could be worse, it could be yellow....
-------------------
Gravitas est meus Hostilis
Painted Roads Cycling: http://www.paintedroads.com
Words: http://mikesimagination.wordpress.com

geraldatwork

by geraldatwork

If this is the biggest problem in your life and the only thing that would cause you to lose sleep then you must have a very good life.
"Really fast people are frustrating, but they make you faster. When you get faster, you might frustrate someone else."

2009 Trek Madone 5.5 Project One SRAM Force 16.4 lbs w/pedals and cages.
2007 Bianchi 928 Carbon Lugged- SRAM Rival-17 lbs.

frd

by frd

geraldatwork,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole

"That is what learning is. You suddenly understand something you've understood all your life, but in a new way."
-Doris Lessing

:wink:

vxracer

by vxracer

They have sticker material for mostly automotive applications- also available in carbon fiber. My truck came stock with interior bits of the door armrest etc. with it applied, but there should be a lot of aftermarket stuff out there. You might be able to perfectly align and overlay in the same composite finish and be VERY stealth about it to boot!

Also, you could buy some, tinker with your own design, if you make one you like, you can apply it!

Good luck!

geraldatwork

by geraldatwork

frenk wrote:geraldatwork,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole

"That is what learning is. You suddenly understand something you've understood all your life, but in a new way."
-Doris Lessing

:wink:

Well I get your point and happy to know you actually aren't losing sleep over it. Funny sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and start thinking about stuff which keeps me up which is even less important than what you are worried about. Anyway I can't help you with your problem other to say I "wouldn't lose any sleep over it" unless someone can recommend a way to hide it and make it look perfect as in from the factory. Otherwise it will look like a bad Toupe and I don't mean the saddle.
"Really fast people are frustrating, but they make you faster. When you get faster, you might frustrate someone else."

2009 Trek Madone 5.5 Project One SRAM Force 16.4 lbs w/pedals and cages.
2007 Bianchi 928 Carbon Lugged- SRAM Rival-17 lbs.

rustychain

by rustychain

put a sticker with your name on it.
put a sticker with your blood type and emergency info on it.
put a sticker with a for sale sign asking twice what its worth (a sucker born ever min)
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

frd

by frd

rustychain wrote:(...)
put a sticker with a for sale sign asking twice what its worth (a sucker born ever min)

:lol: AHAHA that's a very good idea! I'll do it!

=4cranks

by =4cranks

frenk wrote:... remove the clear coat, remove the logo ...

Handy tips:
Just ride the bike a lot.
Thigh contact will wear off the offending logo.
Affix sandpaper to shorts to speed the process.
or
Send it to me. I'm willing do the logo removing process for free.
I promise to ride it only on nice days.
And I'll do it "the natural way", so no unsightly sandpaper marks.
It will take only 5 to 10 years.
Actually, I'm willing to spend as many years as it takes for perfection.
Please include funds for maintenance, yearly upgrades, and return shipping at future rates.
No need to thank me. "Helping others is its own reward." :D
Equality for Cranks.

frd

by frd

Problem solved :D

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

8)

frd

by frd

Btw, for those that are interested in namestickers: mine were made by http://taigraphx.com/ , I sent him the file by email, he printed them and sent back for a very reasonable price.
They are vinyl, waterproof, very good quality. I strongly recommend him.

I also asked a local guy, by the time he answered my email I got the stickers from Tai in the mailbox coming from the other side of the world :D

Herbert

by Herbert

I agree that Tai is awesome for stuff like this, plus he makes great wheel graphics too.

Herbert

frenk wrote:Btw, for those that are interested in namestickers: mine were made by http://taigraphx.com/ , I sent him the file by email, he printed them and sent back for a very reasonable price.
They are vinyl, waterproof, very good quality. I strongly recommend him.

I also asked a local guy, by the time he answered my email I got the stickers from Tai in the mailbox coming from the other side of the world :D

Hyde

by Hyde

& I thought this was going to be a TREK thread :roll:

mzagorski

by mzagorski

hey herbert and frenk... Sounds like you got service with aloha. Funny, I usually buy stuff from Victory Circle GFX in CO, but you guys buy from Hawaii. hehe. I should try out TAI for my next stickers. If you don't mine me asking, what kind of price were your name stickers frenk?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com