Best place for cycling camps around South or North Carolina

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

pinky

by pinky

I spent two weeks training in Elon, NC in Feb two years ago, no climbing to speak of but great roads for getting miles and more importantly Elon College is one of the top 10 party schools as rated by Playboy. Its deserved.

nexusheli

by nexusheli

Weather around here is very touch and go in Feb/March. Especially if you're considering up north towards the Mountains (Asheville/Boone), where it can be 60F one day and snowing the next.

There's not much climbing to speak of in most of the Carolinas unless you tend towards the western borders of the states where they brush the Blue Ridge mountains. Again, get into the mountains and you're talking about very tempermental weather.

I will second the suggestion that you consider a little further south, i.e. Georgia, or push back towards late march into early April.
View before posting!
Pegoretti Love #3: It's here!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jean-Michel

by Jean-Michel

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreati ... omnav_golf

says 2 to 16 degree. Does it include the nights?

What is the avg during the days?

Thanks

vxracer

by vxracer

get paid to ride carrying the'shine! :lol:

vxracer

by vxracer

Found this online for mount mitchell- It is also the coldest average reporting station in the state at 43.8°F or 6.6°C :shock: which is well below any other station. Unlike the lower elevations in the surrounding regions, heavy snows often fall from December to March, with 50 inches (127 cm) accumulating in the Great Blizzard of 1993. The summit is often windy, with the record being 286 km/h or 178 MPH. :shock: Be careful with aero wheels fellas!
The record low there is -34F, but I think my -70F was calculation the windchill. Its still long johns weather, though! :lol:

Just be prepared in early spring. I have been snowed on with 2" accumulation in APRIL in Myrtle Beach! :shock: So you never know what will happen.
Last edited by vxracer on Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

I found this question somewhere else on the boards:

Is this Weight Weenies?
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

vxracer

by vxracer

Just trying to help some weenies going riding in a nice place. Edited out previous ranting :lol:

Oh yeah, If you are looking for the ultimate ethereal experience- Get a spare MTB, get a buddy to drive you to one of the 3 access points to the "closed" Blue Ridge Parkway Between Asheville and Mount Mitchell after a good snowfall, but before its icy. Have them meet you at hwy. 70 in Asheville. You will never view landscapes the same i promise.

RollinOn27s

by RollinOn27s

Jean-Michel wrote:http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/golf/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/29664?from=month_bottomnav_golf

says 2 to 16 degree. Does it include the nights?

What is the avg during the days?

Thanks

Your link has the average daily high (peak afternoon temp) and average daily low (coldest at night).

If you want the daily averages, just click on "daily averages" in the scroll down tool, and then select your month when the screen refreshes. The months are links and will show the average daily high and low for each day of the month, based on historical data.

The average daily high/low/avg. temp in February, for example, goes from 51/27/39 on the 1st of February to 56/31/44 on the 28th.

Like any other climate the average temps are usually in the mid-morning and mid-evening, the highs in the mid-afternoon (2-3pm) and the coldest just before the sun rises in the morning.

RollinOn27s

by RollinOn27s

Frankie - B wrote:I found this question somewhere else on the boards:

Is this Weight Weenies?

Are people only allowed to weigh their light bikes, or ride them as well?

Just sayin'. Maybe some people just like to look at them on scales. I'm not one of them.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

RollinOn27s wrote:Are people only allowed to weigh their light bikes, or ride them as well?

Just sayin'. Maybe some people just like to look at them on scales. I'm not one of them.

Don't get me wrong.

My bikes are still uci legal, what I''m trying to say is that WW is not the best place on the net to discuss such topics.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!