Cadel Evans and his Ridley Noah

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Praha19300

by Praha19300

The blue tape probably matched the frame he had last week :)

Hyde

by Hyde

Is that what mountains do to your legs :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

lord_brush wrote:the blue bar tape goes really well with his erm......................nothing!

Guys, fashion weenies is over here http://Icareabouthowbikeslooknothowtheyride.com

Phill P

by Phill P

does there need to be a www. in that link?

I do care about how a frame looks. If I'm going to spend a month's income (or more) on ANYTHING I want it to look nice as well as perform.

Hyde

by Hyde

The Blue has got to go unless it has some special meaning...who knows

peterpen

by peterpen

IIRC, the blue matched last year's kit. It also matches the bracelet he's wearing.

TMK001

by TMK001

The blue bar tape might have been all he had laying around at home when he needed to replace it...? In most races this season he has used black tape.

His "Aussi" shoes are actually "Cadel Evans" editions of the Gaerne G:Air. He is sponsored by them. They have his signature on the side and the Aussie flag over the toe.

Cadel will often do the 80km bunch ride and then do another 150km when he is back in Australia! (post-Christmas) He rides with a bunch from a small local bike shop and avoids the major routes like Beach Road... mainly cause they are another 1.25 hours up the road.

I hope to ride with him this year when he returns. If I do, I will get some pics of his bike and him... maybe smiling :P

This years tour, Cadel used the Noah on the flat stages, the Helium on the climbing stages... and the "Ridley" for the TT stages.

He has very few fans in the cycling world, but seems to be adored by people outside of it... I dont know why. He is arguably the most consistant cyclist in the ProTour in the past 2 years and has been the most successful rider in the Tour de France, post-Lance (4th & 2nd) but is still not seen as anything special by the cycling media...

When it comes time that Cadel thinks he can win a stage, he will win it. He has won pro tour events, he has worn the Pink Jersey for the Giro and a number of other events. There are people riding the ProTour that we idolise, that have not come close to having successes like Cadel, so why the negativity?

He has never been involved in any form of drug controversy, he rides by the seat of his pants and has made huge sacrifices in life to up and move 12,000km away to Europe to follow his dream.

With Popovych in the team next year, I hope to see a different situation for the Tour... a situation where there is more than one PRL rider in the last 10km - for them to play off each other and put some hurt into rivals, rather than having it happen to Cadel every stage as he rides on his own...

In case you didn't work it out, I am a HUGE Cadel fan. He is a friend of mine that I know through non-cycling back ground and he has got me right into the whole bike racing thing and I am HOOKED!

Oh yeah! It is awesome for him to win the ProTour white jersey! Congrats!

Todd

frd

by frd

Good post TMK001!
I'm also a big fan of Cadel. I often see him training around here and he's always happy and relaxed. Good guy!

Guslo

by Guslo

frenk wrote:Good post TMK001!
I'm also a big fan of Cadel. I often see him training around here and he's always happy and relaxed. Good guy!

+1

ciao! :D

TMK001

by TMK001

No worries... I was always a bit of a Mountain bike fan growing up, but more of a car enthusiast. Anyway, my dad had an old 1966 Mustang he put up for sale, much to my disappointment.

One day he came to me and said he spoke to "some kid" who said he wanted to buy it... dad was blown away when he said was going to ride 150km in the middle of the Aussie summer to have a look at it!?!

My dad said he must be crazy! He organised to meet him in Melbourne for him to have a look at it. I decided to cruise up with him...

We arrived at the meeting point and the bloke introduced himself as "Cadel" in a high pitched tone and I didnt think much of it. He talked about how he was about to ride in Europe as a road cyclist... I was thinking... then it clicked "Two time world MTB cup winner - Cadel Evans!" Thats how I knew the face and the voice!

"Crocodile Evans" (for those of you who remember the old Northwave adverts!!)

I told him I was a bit of a MTB fan and that I kinda followed his career... he purchased my dads Mustang and we have kept in contact since!

He gets his job done with minimal fuss and I really admire him for that. I spoke to him a number of times via SMS during both the 06 & 07 Tour de France, giving him "coaching advice"... its only now that I have started cycling myself, I can even comprehend what he does and how freakin' awesome it is!

He is arguably one of Australia's greatest cyclist, yet still remains humble and down to earth enough to ride with a bunch of recreational cyclists from a small LBS in his neighbouring beachside town in the off season.

How many pro cyclists do you know that do that?

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

5. :wink:

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

TMK001 wrote:I spoke to him a number of times via SMS during both the 06 & 07 Tour de France, giving him "coaching advice"... its only now that I have started cycling myself, I can even comprehend what he does and how freakin' awesome it is!

So what kind of "coaching advice" did the person who never cycled give Mr. Evans during the Tour de France?

TMK001

by TMK001

"Come on! You can ride faster!"

"Just win, you are so close!"

I got some interesting replies :P

He is really friendly about it and understanding. Now I have a bit more of a grasp of what he does, I shut up... its a bit more than "Come on, you are riding all the way in the top group! Just pull out and smash them!"

I read lots of reviews of races, etc. and have a far better idea of it all now... I now think he rides the races to the greatest of his capacity and gives it his all. I got the highlights package from this years Tour with the Aussie commentators responses and reviews about him... when you see how he came across the line, you know he has given his all.