Weight Weenie Haters

Bring your questions & complaints to the Weight Weenies moderators, here! Also, News & Announcements. Use the other boards for bike related talks.
retemple

by retemple

Look at this thread, they're slamming weight weenies!!!!

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=354171

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eurostyle

by eurostyle

It's bikeforums.com, what did you expect?

retemple

by retemple

I guess I incorrectly assumed that all cyclists (except those that solely ride steel, and wear nothing but natural fibers) had an appreciation for high-end bicycles and components (whether they owned them or not).

Is it just jealousy??

onyourleft

by onyourleft

What do they think they are...a bunch of heathens?! :wink:
Aero beats weight - unless you're slow!

celerystalksme

by celerystalksme

i started that thread at bikeforums. i'm still pretty new to cycling (see in my intro thread here at WW). and i could not believe a few pounds made any difference whatsoever...and that people were willing to spend $10k to save a few pounds. it flabbergasted me! (it still does a little.)

however...after reading enough posts in that thread, it seems that weight does make a difference. especially rotational mass. so i learned something!

King Weel

by King Weel

(Quote Permanentjaun (senior member)): "A runner takes an average of 5,000 strides in a marathon. If I shave 1/4 of a pound off of each shoe that is 1250 lbs less that the runner has to move than someone wearing shoes 1/4 of a pound heavier."

That's an example of how even the smallest weight savings can go a long way. I'm sure cycling has its own translation of the above example. (Unquote)

That's a good one.

If I do a 10 lap XC race with two steep climbs per round, will I save 40 lbs carrying uphill when my bike is only 2lbs lighter? How much would that be if I would save 2 lbs rotating mass at an average speed of 20 km/h...??
Specialized S-Works Allez (the shiny one :) )
Turner Czar custom
Working on a new S-Works Tarmac custom!

bluredvision

by bluredvision

King Weel wrote:(Quote Permanentjaun (senior member)): "A runner takes an average of 5,000 strides in a marathon. If I shave 1/4 of a pound off of each shoe that is 1250 lbs less that the runner has to move than someone wearing shoes 1/4 of a pound heavier."

Amazingly, if you take small strides, you don't have to walk very far before your mass becomes negative!

John979

by John979

celerystalksme wrote:however...after reading enough posts in that thread, it seems that weight does make a difference. especially rotational mass. so i learned something!

Clearly, you have not learned anything. :(
John979

retemple

by retemple

I can assure you that many on this forum here don't buy this stuff because they expect some quantifiable benefit. Sure there is a benefit, but we just dig really high performance bikes. Take 12-lb tricked-out Cervelo R3 and compare it side-by-side w/ a stock (insert brand) bike that costs a grand or two. You will perceive a HUGE difference.

Bottom line, it just comes down to perceived value. Some of those people on Bike Forums are quite satisfied with the bikes that they run and would never consider "high-end" parts. Just don't knock the guy that spends alot of money on bike stuff.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Relax a bit :wink:

We're bashing Weight Weenies at this forum too

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35791 :lol:

Seriously, Forum wars are just some of the silliest things around... And since the OP there is here saying he's learned a few things, I think it's a deader... If you like it here, keep commin.
Last edited by CharlesM on Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John979

by John979

King Weel wrote:If I do a 10 lap XC race with two steep climbs per round, will I save 40 lbs carrying uphill when my bike is only 2lbs lighter? How much would that be if I would save 2 lbs rotating mass at an average speed of 20 km/h...??
It is hard to imagine a real-life scenario where this would occur. Maybe 1/2 that is realistic and in practicality no more siginifcant than 1 pound of static mass.
John979

celerystalksme

by celerystalksme

John979 wrote:
celerystalksme wrote:however...after reading enough posts in that thread, it seems that weight does make a difference. especially rotational mass. so i learned something!

Clearly, you have not learned anything. :(

according to many people at bf...and according to velonews...and lennard zinn...and s.s. wilson in 'scientific america'..and countless other "experts"...a pound off the wheels is worth more than a pound off the frame. weight distribution on the wheels also makes a difference...if these "experts" are to be believed.

i have no reason to doubt them or their tests or their formulas...i figure they know more than i do!

having said that, ondrej sosenka believes in heavier rims because they're better at maintaining momentum on steady efforts on the track...

celerystalksme

by celerystalksme

retemple wrote:I can assure you that many on this forum here don't buy this stuff because they expect some quantifiable benefit. Sure there is a benefit, but we just dig really high performance bikes. Take 12-lb tricked-out Cervelo R3 and compare it side-by-side w/ a stock (insert brand) bike that costs a grand or two. You will perceive a HUGE difference.

Bottom line, it just comes down to perceived value. Some of those people on Bike Forums are quite satisfied with the bikes that they run and would never consider "high-end" parts. Just don't knock the guy that spends alot of money on bike stuff.

granted, i've only been into cycling for like 2 months...but so far it seems that high performance and high price is synonymous with light weight...for the most part. i mean, of course, there are exceptions...but for the most part, the search for high price parts and the search for high performance parts and the search for light weight parts and the search for that 'quantifiable benefit' wind up in the same place...

drainyoo

by drainyoo

I replied in that thread on BF. It just boggles my mind of some people are so offended by WW that they have to continuously bashed them and much up ridiculous myths. One dude in the thread claims that rotational mass is a myth. They man obviously doesn't understand the simple law of physics.

Also hate the misconceptions that light parts are always fragile and expensive.

LSiena0206

by LSiena0206

Another thing to consider is that the lightest bike isn't always the safest bike. The performance of a bike is related to the rider.

Regardless, welcome to the world of cycling. For most of us, it's a healthy obsession that we consume way too many minutes of the day thinking about. And in the end, it's just about that - a healthy lifestyle; no matter the weight, color or material of the ride.

Just wear a helmet !

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com