Climbs near Jacksonville, NC?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

mzagorski

by mzagorski

Anyone here know of any climbs close to Jacksonville, NC? Camp Lejeune area... Anything within 30-40 mile radius?

Gregorio

by Gregorio

Try Google Earth, you can get a good sense of the terrain by satelite photos and can see the roads that go there. Also has elevations.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ras11

by ras11

mzagorski wrote:Anyone here know of any climbs close to Jacksonville, NC? Camp Lejeune area... Anything within 30-40 mile radius?

Not a lot of riders out there. There are a couple teams around the New Bern area. The better riders in that area race with teams in central NC.

You can try these guys... http://racerpig.tripod.com/
:-) Toys-R-Us

mzagorski

by mzagorski

Thanks, I'll check out that link. A couple that I coach moved out to NC so I'm trying to get an idea of what they have in terms of training terrain 8)

Gregorio

by Gregorio

I did look very quickly at google earth. I think you are SOL.
very flat with only maybe 30' gain anywhere. Tell them to move to western side of NC :D

ras11

by ras11

mzagorski wrote:Thanks, I'll check out that link. A couple that I coach moved out to NC so I'm trying to get an idea of what they have in terms of training terrain 8)

Flat. The races I do out there are very flat. Almost Florida like. There are some rollers, but nothing to get excited about. You be hard pressed to find a hill of 5 mins. The rollers start picking around Raleigh. And become mountains by Winston-Salem.

rustychain

by rustychain

Head for Boone N.C. or Banner Elk.

Some of the best riding in the eastern U.S. if not the country. Bring your climbing gears. Contact Magic Cycles in Boone for routes. Tour Dupont went thru there so many of the climbs are rated. Epic Mtn biking as well. This is were Lance decided to return to racing after his cancer on a ride with Bob Roll
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

ras11

by ras11

Boone is good. Asheville is better. Our team has camps in both Boone and Asheville. Keep in mind that NC has the tallest peak east of the Missippi.

BTW, Boone is about 4.5 hrs drive from Jacksonville.

vxracer

by vxracer

Lol! found this a little late, but yes, you are SOL for climbs for several hours around. I spent A LOT of time near there, Topsail Island, Wilmington, etc. Near Fort Bragg has some dinky small rolling hills. Goldsboro starts to get a tad larger, and Pittsboro, Siler City, Asheboro is the closest what I would call rolling hills. Maybe up around Raleigh too. All I can say is locally, you need to do like I did living in coastal Delaware. I found one of those new, tall, large, less-used bridges going over the inlet waterways. Ride like a banshee up AND down, turn around, repeat! :D Seriously- its all you have locally available. I cant remember, but I think coming out the Camp Lejeune south gate, the bridge to north topsail island may meet the criteria. Cant remember if there was a break-down lane or not. If not, be very aware while riding. Lots of bubba drivers. They dont drive friendly with bikes.

Another technique that will help is riding on windy days. I would ride with the wind in the beginning, and then ride against the wind on the way back- do it faster for more slope simulation. I know you have some steady wind available at the coast :o Also, your speed isnt relative to climbing. Resistance and gear ratio being moderated with wind resistance helps your simulation.

Yet another technique is similar to being a grunt and sneaking rocks and packing into your ruck for road marches (even though you are supposed to have a standard pack out- only for the insane after 25 miles lol.) Go and buy, or find used, one of those kiddie trailers that hook to the bike. If you can scrounge rocks (another not-so-common commodity there, I know), throw them in the back, or find a biking buddy with kids that want to ride with you, and pack the kids in the back. Now, with even less wind resistance, and more weight to haul, you should be simulating grade even more!

I agree that western NC is the best east coast riding, do it whenever possible. I know that a fun day once a month isnt as beneficial as making due with what you have to deal with on a daily basis. If you do these techniques, you wont be as handicapped as I was going to visit my brother in Asheville and getting SMOKED by mountain riders. After I came up with these coastal ideas, I was on par with them climbing real hills later on. Oh yeah, if anyone wants real butt-kicker, leave Tunnel rd. (hwy 70) in Asheville, NC going up the blue ridge parkway. Ride north about 37? miles and go up Mount Mitchell. Unreal.

Let me know if any of this is useful!

mzagorski

by mzagorski

Thanks for the info. I'll pass it on to my friends that moved there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com