SID World Cup 2005 1095,26g

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

doktoree

by doktoree

MaLóL wrote:doctoree how did you made those custom stickers?

First I made a project in Corel Draw 9.0 of "SID ultra light project" sitcker. Then I ordered it in a printing house. I had to order 1 square metre of sickers although I wanted only two :( . Now I have hundreds of them :D . The "RockShox" sticker was made using color-laser xerox.

can you send a pic of your bike with the new fork? it must look good.
what´s the new total weight?

I have no pics of my upgraded bike because it's still incomplete. I have no seat. However I decided to buy Tune Speedneedle and it should come in the next week.
Total weight will be 7578g. :D

doktoree

by doktoree

Got new FRM alu studs. 7,2614g. Old Ti weighed 10,5448. Wieght saving 3,2834g. Now my SID UL weighs 1095,26g
Attachments
ti_canti_studs_a.jpg
FRM_alu_canti_studs_2.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

skogling

by skogling

You guys are insane !! :wink:

XTC-Max

by XTC-Max

good job! i'm quite into tuning SIDs myself. i have had several versions. they all share the same monocoque: SID XC 1998, no disc adapter, XXX seals, doubled bushing, sandblasted and repainted with a slight touch of white color (the heaviest, weighing 9g), plus Ti studs. weighs a mere 373 g.

so, with the 2002 SID SL Steerer assembly (164mm, 526g) it weighed 1289 g

with the 2004 carbon steerer/crown (490g) it weighed 1252 g

then i took the internals of a 1998 SID and modified it: i used the air/oil-damper side stock as it was. only modification was to glue the "DualAir Threaded Base Plate Retainer" (that alloy nut that is screwed into the downside of the stanchions) onto the lower end of the damper cartridge so it would stay in place.

on the other side i installed a rod to carry the extra rubber bottom out protections: i cut off the excessing rod right above the clip. underneath i placed some spacers and the rubber you need to prevent the fork from harsh extension (otherwise it would make a loud *knock* as soon as it extends again). add the alloy base plate and place another rubber below the plate (the bottom-out protector).

re-assemble the fork, tighten the shafts with the original Ti bolts from the 1998 SID and install the valve on the air/oil-damper side. on the other side i glued a carbon sticker onto the hole.

weighed 1030 g, and sucked big time. the damper is not adjustable, making the fork very uncomfortable. and because the damper reacted too slowly, the damper come off the base plate. as a consequence the damper would jump around inside the stanchions etc. in brief: not really what you want a good suspension to work like.

fortunately i still had this '98 Judy XC tuning damper from Risse lying in my garage. looks like the 2001 SID race damper, but would give 75 mm of travel, plus adjustable damping and refillable cartridges. once for, i glued the base plate onto the cartridge, but this time with loctite 648, and i hammered onto the base plate where there was this little groove on the cartridge. this should help with the problem of cartridges coming off the base plate.
on the other side, i installed the pos./neg. air assembly stock as i removed it from my 2000 SID SL (any other dual air SIDs will work as well)

weight: 1061g, but with 75 mm travel and great shock absorbing performance!

mpap89

by mpap89

yeah you guys are pretty crazy, you are getting new canti studs just to save like 3 grams. but none the less its very interesting stuff

OLver

by OLver

skogling wrote:You guys are insane !! :wink:

:goodpost: :D

doktoree

by doktoree

mpap89 wrote:yeah you guys are pretty crazy, you are getting new canti studs just to save like 3 grams. but none the less its very interesting stuff

I agree with you ... but partly. Yes I am crazy weight weenie.
The new canti studs saved 3,2834g. Funny? I don't think so. This 3,2834g is ca. 31% lighter than old Ti studs. It's the same you have 10 000g bike or 6900g (31% lighter) one :shock:. I'm sure now you see the difference :lol:

Tim

by Tim

MaLóL:
I don't know exactly how these stickers are made, but i think they it's plasticfilm printed in an Ink-jet printer.

doktoree

by doktoree

Tim wrote:MaLóL:
I don't know exactly how these stickers are made, but i think they it's plasticfilm printed in an Ink-jet printer.

You are wrong!!!!!!. They were made in printing house. NO INK PRINTER!!!!. I've houndreds of them :lol:

Adrien
WWotY 2007

by Adrien

Im not a mountain biker but that subject is really very well done! :shock:
Congrats! ;)

eurorider

by eurorider

how do you remove the grey seals at the top of the lowers without destroying them? ..are they glued in?

thanks.

doktoree

by doktoree

eurorider wrote:how do you remove the grey seals at the top of the lowers without destroying them? ..are they glued in?

The grey seals were removed by my friend (bicycle mechanic) with special RockShox tool. They are not glued in.

XTC-Max

by XTC-Max

i just pulled them off by covering a pair of pliers with a towel. you can also take a flat screwdriver

@doktoree: do you know any serious MTBers (racers) living in or near cracow? me girlfriend's living there, and i wanna go for some rides the next time....

JDZ3QJ

by JDZ3QJ

wow, outstanding!!! i have sid 98 but no oil damper. going to do the same thing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Grammarios

by Grammarios

Nice tuning. I did a make a cutom Judy sl 1997 at 987g with 200mm steerer tube. I raplaced the lower legs assembly with styff stuff carbon lowers, arlo englund air-air spring-dampers (no oil at all just air chokes) and custom lower inners. i do not have an inside picture right now but when i open it for maintenence i will take some pics. Here is a final photo.
Attachments
Custom fork.jpg