weight fsa sl-k mega-exo?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

leonardo da vinci

by leonardo da vinci

The weights on the 2005 FSA BB/crankset combos seem to be way off :? Does anyone have an actual weight on the sl-k mega-exo 53/39? I'm afraid it will be over 800g, which means an old pro team edition with DA-7700 BB will be even lighter...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Superlite

by Superlite

805g with everything in a 172.5mm, personally weighed.

spytech

by spytech

I guess they weigh more than a Dura Ace 7800 crankset, i wonder why? i would like to see stiffness numbers on these cranksets both K-force and SL-K megaexo. i am in the market for new cranks, and i want to know what would be an upgrade to my FSA superlight's. both K-force and sl-k (megaexo) are heavier than my current FSA superlight and ti BB. i would not mind the extra grams if they were equally as stiff as the increase in weight.

when will carbon cranks be stiffer than Alu? "ZIPP 300 Crankset is 20% lighter than the next lightest on the market. And the ZIPP 300 Crankset is 50% higher in stiffness than anything previously available". does this include DA 7800, Cannondale Si cranks??? or just carbon cranks? for example: 50% stiffer than the superlights would make them slightly stiffer than the Dura Ace 7800 (based on velonews test results) but 50% stiffer than the storck power arms would put them Above any other crank that i have seen reviewed. take a look at the image.
Attachments
Cranks.JPG
Last edited by spytech on Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

2004'?

:D

That's why I have Campy Carbon's.....

Bed4d SL

by Bed4d SL

spytech, what's the second column a test of? what number did the dura-ace crank come out to (as it's the one i can't see, I'm guessing. ??

cadence90

by cadence90

The first column (left hand) is the stiffness measurement.
The second (right hand) column is the stiffness-to-weight rating.
Here is the full page.
Attachments
test_cranksets_top velo.jpg
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

Bed4d SL

by Bed4d SL

What rings did they put on the storck arms? Because that could be a distinguishing facter in the test.

Bed4d SL

by Bed4d SL

never mind what I just said...but what's that little bit about the dura-ace crank that can't really be read?

bobalou

by bobalou

I was initially holding out for the Mega-Exo but went ahead and got the DA7800's, even before the errant weight claim was published. It is noticably stiffer then the Campy Carbon setup it replaced (03) but I attribute this the the BB design more then the arms. For that reason, I think I'd still pick the 7800's, even over the FSA Energy, inspite of the chart .. and the fact that it uses ISIS.

I kind of hated taking my campy carbon cranks off and I even gained about 100g in the process.. but the extra stiffness is worth it, IMO. Nothing bad to say about those cranks, they served me well and looked great.

spytech

by spytech

thanks cadence for posting. did not know if i was allowed to post the whole page.

but in terms of stiffness the storck power arms are pretty damn good, they were out before the DA7800. the THM clavicula are suppose to be alot stiffer than the storck power arms (if anyone can make that claim thm can) and they make the power arms for storck. i like the intgrated system THM has with the beefy 30mm axle, same size as the cannondale Si cranks, but in carbon and integrated into the right arm.

i guess its between Zipp 300 and thm Clavicula cranks to see who makes the stiffest lightest crankset.

you guys want to take a poll on this one? they will both be out around the same time.

cadence90

by cadence90

Bed4d SL wrote:never mind what I just said...but what's that little bit about the dura-ace crank that can't really be read?

Can you read French?
Basically, it says that the DA has an integrated bb spindle and therefore cannot be directly compared in terms of stiffness-to-weight ratio. Then they say that they have subtracted the weight of the bb spindle in order to provide a "common" platform for comparison.
On the charts, the DA ranked third on stiffness and a very close 5th (11,6) on s-t-w ranking.

If anybody wants I can email the entire article.

I agree with Spytech: the Clavicula is looking very interesting.
I don't care if the Zipp would be stiffer, at $800.00 :shock: ; it's ludicrous to spend that much on a crankset. Anybody know what the THM will cost?
Attachments
test_cranksets_top velo_da.jpg
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

spytech

by spytech

last time i spoke to them (thm), they said it would be closer to the 800 euros so that is more than $800 bucks. and i am willing to bet we can find the zipp 300 cranks cheaper than what they claim to be msrp $800. but is a price really set on the cranks? i do not think they are going to be that much money.

zipp cranks would no doubt cost more in europe, but thm cranks would cost more in the USA. it is weird though, because the euro is stronger than the dollar. but still american bike parts cost more money in europe.

still the thm represent more of a value with the integrated BB all you need is chainrings, with zipp you still need a BB (isis). i guess its hard to put the word value, when your paying over $800 for a crankset.

cadence90

by cadence90

800.00 Euro = 1,088.09 USD. 1 EUR = 1.36012 USD. :cry:

We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto....

One could subtract the 16% or so VAT on European shipments coming to US (Starbike does) but still....

These prices on cranks are totally outrageous.
$899 on the Zipp 300 is what Hi-Tech Bikes is charging, their actual price, MSRP or not!!!

The US parts cost more in Europe because of high import taxes, etc.
That's why our Euro friends all want for us to buy them ZeroG brakes and ship them as a "gift".
Well, if they buy us THM stuff at cost and ship that as a gift....hmmm. :wink:

bobalou

by bobalou

spytech wrote: with zipp you still need a BB (isis). .

To me, that alone is enough to not want the zipp. I personally haven't
had any isis problems like I've heard of but seems to me it's a good
idea to choose a better system.

The clavicula just might be the dope, but until we see it go into production ..
it remains a prototype. And what will it's final weight be?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cadence90

by cadence90

bobalou wrote:
spytech wrote: with zipp you still need a BB (isis). .

To me, that alone is enough to not want the zipp. I personally haven't
had any isis problems like I've heard of but seems to me it's a good
idea to choose a better system.

The clavicula just might be the dope, but until we see it go into production ..
it remains a prototype. And what will it's final weight be?

True and true.
And are we convinced yet that the outboard rage is a better durability solution than ISIS (probably) or standard?
I'm talking only about bearing durability, etc. not bb spindle stiffness....