TITAINIUM SPRINGS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

popawheelie

by popawheelie

Does anyone have a source for 1/16 " or 1.5 mm titainium rod. I'm going to try to make some of the steel springs on my campy derailleurs out of titainium. I don't need very much, maybe 2' or 1/2 a meter. Thanks in advance, David

Adri

by Adri

wrote:Does anyone have a source for 1/16 " or 1.5 mm titainium rod. I'm going to try to make some of the steel springs on my campy derailleurs out of titainium. I don't need very much, maybe 2' or 1/2 a meter. Thanks in advance, David

Good luck, titanium is a bitch to work with. I'm told that the new X.0 SRAM makes has a titanium spring, perhaps you can try and get one from them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

popawheelie

by popawheelie

Thanks Adri, I contacted Sram and they weren't interested in selling me just the spring. It wasn't the right shape either. I'm going to use a titainium spoke to try at least. I think the reason that titainium is considered tificult to work with is that production machinist aren't used to it and they are always looking at production efficientcy. If I build a couple of springs I don't know any better. I'm going to try. I don't know the process of anealing (softening) the metal and then putting spring back in it though. Maybe a machinist forum could help. Thanks again, David