Tour of America

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Tugboat

by Tugboat

Tugboat wrote:80km long individual TTs?? Doesn't the UCI have rules governing maximum distances for sanctioned events.

Oh that's right... it's not sanctioned and it never will be. Maybe a suspended Floyd Landis or Alexandre Vinokourov will win the inaugural edition. Because they should be able to beat the no names who will be the only ones able to race.

10km Prologue? No... 2.6.006 A prologue may be included in stage races on condition that:
1. it must not exceed 8 km;

80km ITTs? Maybe... Max UCI distance in a stage race is 80km

100km TTT? No... Max UCI distance in a stage race is 80km

320 - 400km Road stages? No... maximum per stage is 260km and maximum daily average is 180km. A waiver can be granted for two stages to exceed 260km in a Tour greater than 10 days in length, but the average has to stay below 180km.

(All distances from UCI reg 2.6.008).

The problems get greater... 2.6.011 The maximum length of major tours is 3500 km (major tours cannot exceed 23 days - 2.6.007) In addition on major tours, stage distances shall not exceed 225 km, except that no more than two stages may exceed 225 km.

And for any new event of status HC, 1 or 2... the maximum duration is 5 days.

The guy's race is so flawed it is doomed to failure. You'd think he would have at least looked at a rule book before going public with his plan.
Nice bike... you ever take it off any sweet jumps?
2020 Canyon Speedmax CF | 2018 8bar Mitte | 2016 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX | 2016 Cannondale Synapse Carbon | 2016 Cannondale F-Si Carbon | 2017 Scott Scale (singlespeed)

micky

by micky

There was an article on cyclingnews on the man behind the project and everybody noticed that he wasn't fully aware of what he's talking about.
I mean...he knows cycling ride a bike, thats all. :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drjones96

by drjones96

Yes someone asked about UCI sanctioning and his response pretty much gave it away that he was clueless. If this race happens I hope the guy isn't steering it.

geraldatwork

by geraldatwork

I emailed the tour director a few days ago with a link to this thread and another on on a different forum. He just got back to me saying due to the responses they were getting they are working on paring down the mileages and number of stages more typical of a normal grand tour. Whether it happens, who knows, but there is a lot of prize money available and most of the prominent teams have enough riders to participate in two tours at the same time. As an American I would like to see them pull it off. Successfully that is.
"Really fast people are frustrating, but they make you faster. When you get faster, you might frustrate someone else."

2009 Trek Madone 5.5 Project One SRAM Force 16.4 lbs w/pedals and cages.
2007 Bianchi 928 Carbon Lugged- SRAM Rival-17 lbs.

amos

by amos

geraldatwork wrote:I emailed the tour director a few days ago with a link to this thread and another on on a different forum. He just got back to me ...

Well he may be living with his head in the sand as far as racing goes but the one thing he's got over a lot of other promoters is he'll actually e-mail you back!

geraldatwork

by geraldatwork

amos wrote:
geraldatwork wrote:I emailed the tour director a few days ago with a link to this thread and another on on a different forum. He just got back to me ...

Well he may be living with his head in the sand as far as racing goes but the one thing he's got over a lot of other promoters is he'll actually e-mail you back!

Actually I separately emailed three people over there and two of them responded which I think is pretty good.

I think their best shot might to forget about next year and plan for 2009. There is so much they have to coordinate with the cities and towns like getting permission for streets to be closed, law enforcement and coordination from city to city. With a new plan I don't think how they can accomplish that in so short a time. Most teams have their schedules set for the season by the end of the year or the beginning of the next.

What they have going for them is a lot of prize money. Each stage winner gets $100,000 and decent amounts for the next places. So a team can send over a sprinter for the flat stages and maybe hope to come back with a half a million. Same for a climber. Since most teams carry 30 riders they can send over a couple of top riders and the rest support and still do the Vulta.
"Really fast people are frustrating, but they make you faster. When you get faster, you might frustrate someone else."

2009 Trek Madone 5.5 Project One SRAM Force 16.4 lbs w/pedals and cages.
2007 Bianchi 928 Carbon Lugged- SRAM Rival-17 lbs.

swinter

by swinter

swinter wrote:. . . It's a great idea but, as gerald says, the course has a large number of excessively long stages (think of how much doping that will incite) and, as drjones says, the proposed timing is totally off.

(And it's not 14 days, but 14 stages that are over 200 mi/320 km, with two stages at 250 mi/400 km. Overall, they are talking about 27 stages over 30 days.)

Maybe they will get enough feedback to make it more sensible.

Apparently, they got the feedback:
http://www.velonews.com/race/dom/articles/13790.0.html
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928