HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:39 am
Posts: 1688
Location: Los Angeles=Hills, Smog
frenk wrote:
p.s. when you say "all types of electronics including power meters" it's really a way too big generalization.
There is a world of difference between basing your training on a cyclocomputer (speed/distance), a heartrate, a clock, a powermeter, a GPS, a cellphone...


We train all week long. We meet for long weekend rides. your reading out of this only what you want & my "supposed" generalization means that I have ridden with those who train with different electronic devices. I was trying to have a good conversation here & get feedback on everyones opinions not serve as a punching bag for some guy with a chip on his shoulder.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:29 am 


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:39 am
Posts: 1688
Location: Los Angeles=Hills, Smog
PezTech wrote:
Do I ride with an SRM, Ergomo or Hub now... Nope. Not even a computer.


At one point in my riding, I used both SRM and Tap, as well as a computrainer and they are absolutely a tool that gives results as part of a training program... So is the Ergomo.


That power measurement devices and even basic heart monitors are valuable tools when used effectively is not debateable. They quantify and record performance and allow for accurate, repeatable measure levels that are the basis for performance growth.


Wether or not they are a waste is completely dependant on rider training. For most of us here, every electronic device we strap to our bikes is simply an accesory and power meters are just the next level of onboard entertainment / vanity.

This leads to one of my points in sort of a round about way. I think it is good that everyone get out of cycling what they wish & that they enjoy it. If motivation is derived from a power meter or a computer I think that is great! I think everyone has a method of becoming a better rider that works for them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 8:45 pm
Posts: 1452
Hyde,
I'm sorry, it was not my intent to sound harsh at all (my poor English skills are not helping too).
I quoted that sentence because it really reflected my experience, i.e. that powermeters are not overly useful on long/group rides. That was not to say something bad, really.

Sorry again,

Frenk

p.s.:
Quote:
This leads to one of my points in sort of a round about way. I think it is good that everyone get out of cycling what they wish & that they enjoy it. If motivation is derived from a power meter or a computer I think that is great! I think everyone has a method of becoming a better rider that works for them.


I completely agree.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:45 am
Posts: 152
Location: Zürich
I just use the simplest Sigma speedo with wires but still, I've found myself becoming obsessed with my average speed. I do most of my training at lunchtime during the week on a selection of hilly circuits and I get p1ssed off if my avg is less than 30kmh. But I went out on Wednesday and ignored the avg because I was with a mate who is not at his best and I ended up riding my usual climbs (leaving him behind) in record/near record times! :wink:

Tom

_________________
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=29617


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:39 am
Posts: 1688
Location: Los Angeles=Hills, Smog
frenk wrote:
Hyde,
I'm sorry, it was not my intent to sound harsh at all (my poor English skills are not helping too).
I quoted that sentence because it really reflected my experience, i.e. that powermeters are not overly useful on long/group rides. That was not to say something bad, really.

Sorry again,

Frenk

p.s.:
Quote:
This leads to one of my points in sort of a round about way. I think it is good that everyone get out of cycling what they wish & that they enjoy it. If motivation is derived from a power meter or a computer I think that is great! I think everyone has a method of becoming a better rider that works for them.


I completely agree.

Not a problem. I was a little harsh myself. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:39 am
Posts: 1688
Location: Los Angeles=Hills, Smog
ihana wrote:
I just use the simplest Sigma speedo with wires but still, I've found myself becoming obsessed with my average speed. I do most of my training at lunchtime during the week on a selection of hilly circuits and I get p1ssed off if my avg is less than 30kmh. But I went out on Wednesday and ignored the avg because I was with a mate who is not at his best and I ended up riding my usual climbs (leaving him behind) in record/near record times! :wink:

Tom

I often find that the best motivation for me is a fellow rider. A little competition can squeeze that "little bit extra" out of ya!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], MoPho, robhall2003 and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Shimano Electronic - Considering DI2

in Road

photocycler

11

1174

Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:14 pm

eliflap-scalpel View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Magura Electronic lockout

in MTB

ratherbeintobago

10

982

Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:13 am

emike View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Train the Brain

in Training

Tapeworm

11

1193

Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:49 pm

DanW View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Colnago C59 2012 (electronic) 52 sloping

in For sale - Pictures are mandatory 22-3-13

JohnnySea

0

285

Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:11 pm

JohnnySea View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Colnago C59 2012 (electronic) 52 sloping

in For sale - Pictures are mandatory 22-3-13

JohnnySea

0

286

Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:53 pm

JohnnySea View the latest post


It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:54 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB