circumferance of Ireland

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Enda

by Enda

I intend to cycle the circumferance of Ireland this July, is there an officially recognised route and record? I will do it minimalist style - No panniers or luggage just a credit card and a cut down toothbrush on a light weight bike. Any advice other than the obvious ... DONT!

Tippster

by Tippster

Enda wrote:I intend to cycle the circumferance of Ireland this July, is there an officially recognised route and record? I will do it minimalist style - No panniers or luggage just a credit card and a cut down toothbrush on a light weight bike. Any advice other than the obvious ... DONT!

Good luck. How many miles do you plan to clock up each day?

Its the kinda think I may be interested in doing myself.

Please feedback.
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Enda

by Enda

I just got a decent set of maps last night, there is a maze of small roads running along the coast - so the first step will be to plan a reasonable route, and then work out targets from there. At the moment I reckon I'll be good for at least 120 miles (200kM) per day, I've done this before in/around the Dolomites. If there is an official route and record I'll aim to break it. I live in Ireland and I've been through most of it - so it won't be a research journey for a book on quaint Oirish ways ye boy ye, it will be a balls out record breaking or setting ride.

Tippster

by Tippster

Enda wrote:I just got a decent set of maps last night, there is a maze of small roads running along the coast - so the first step will be to plan a reasonable route, and then work out targets from there. At the moment I reckon I'll be good for at least 120 miles (200kM) per day, I've done this before in/around the Dolomites. If there is an official route and record I'll aim to break it. I live in Ireland and I've been through most of it - so it won't be a research journey for a book on quaint Oirish ways ye boy ye, it will be a balls out record breaking or setting ride.

120 miles a day, with less than 5 hours riding a day then?
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

Enda

by Enda

about that

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tippster

by Tippster

Enda wrote:about that

Pretty good pace! :wink: