repairing a reynolds stratus dv ul rim

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

anyone know if a dent in the rim of a stratus dv ul can be repaired (its around the braking surface)?
Attachments
reynolds dent.jpg

pritchet74

by pritchet74

Hmmmm . . . . were you the lucky auction winner? Hell of a good price - even if you just get to use the rear wheel. I would call Reynolds up tomorrow. If anything you could probably get crash replacement pricing on a new rim. If they would have been Campy I would have got 'em!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

peterpen

by peterpen

Reynolds rim replacement price is pretty outrageous - $550 IIRC.
Big reason why I didn't get Reynolds when I was shopping for aero carbons.
However, I think they are rolling out a new 'insurance' type deal a la Mavic's MP3. (not that it will help this poster.)

to the OP - once Reynolds gives you a price, you might want to check against what Richard Sawris @ wheelbuilder.com could do for you. He's apparently the only builder with the Reynolds OK to use their rims.

Skyleth

by Skyleth

Reynold's website isn't too clear on their pricing for crash replacements... is it $550 per wheel or $550 per pair? I just cracked the front and rear of my Stratus DV and will need to do something...
Rule #1. Superheroes Wear Tights

Cheers!

by Cheers!

peterpen wrote:Reynolds rim replacement price is pretty outrageous - $550 IIRC.
Big reason why I didn't get Reynolds when I was shopping for aero carbons.
However, I think they are rolling out a new 'insurance' type deal a la Mavic's MP3. (not that it will help this poster.)

to the OP - once Reynolds gives you a price, you might want to check against what Richard Sawris @ wheelbuilder.com could do for you. He's apparently the only builder with the Reynolds OK to use their rims.

That's not true... several builders now have an account with Reynolds. I know this because I got a builder to setup an account to make me a set of custom wheels with the DV46C rims.

If it's 550 for the whole wheel than that's a good price.

peterpen

by peterpen

Cheers! wrote:
That's not true... several builders now have an account with Reynolds. I know this because I got a builder to setup an account to make me a set of custom wheels with the DV46C rims.

If it's 550 for the whole wheel than that's a good price.

It certainly was true when I wrote that post. :roll: Check the date.

@Skyleth - it is (was) $550 per wheel, not per set. What did you hit?

bikemesenger
Shop Owner

by bikemesenger

I called Zipp for a crash replacement rim about 2 weeks ago and was told a rim was $475 now.

GonaSovereign

by GonaSovereign

bikemesenger wrote:

I called Zipp for a crash replacement rim about 2 weeks ago and was told a rim was $475 now.

Zipp crash replaced one for me this week at $390 or $395 for the rebuild. Still way too much money, but better than they offered you. Odd...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Skyleth

by Skyleth

peterpen wrote:@Skyleth - it is (was) $550 per wheel, not per set. What did you hit?

I was descending a climb trying to chase back on to the field, I hit a big crack in the pavement... the guy in front of me broke spokes on his alu rim and I cracked my carbon rims :( from what I can tell, they're small cracks in the brake track on both rims (only on one side)... I noticed on Calfee's website say they do wheel repairs? Does Rue do a similar service too?
Rule #1. Superheroes Wear Tights