Races in Asia?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Milhouse

by Milhouse

I know there's a few ww'rs out this way on here...anybody know of any races coming up? There's a 2-day in the philippines sept 22nd-ish, but one of the stages is a team time trial & there's only two of us here (in HK).

Any pointers?

(there are races in HK, but hardly worth doing. Once every 3 months, at 7am on Sunday & then either a) a time trial that is 8km long or b) a crit that is 20km long....not even worth it!!)

micky

by micky

It just started yesterday Tour of Korea, and I guess this month it will start Tour de Hokkaido (Japan).

If you're in HK, there are races almost every week end, depends of course what level you're. (by your words it seems you're a pro or something)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Milhouse

by Milhouse

micky wrote:It just started yesterday Tour of Korea, and I guess this month it will start Tour de Hokkaido (Japan).

If you're in HK, there are races almost every week end, depends of course what level you're. (by your words it seems you're a pro or something)

Would you get up at 5am on a Sunday to do a race that lasted 5 mins? Pro or not, pretty ridiculous. Unless you're a sprinter no selection will be made - might as well race on the track.

micky

by micky

I thought they were supposed to last more than only 5 mins. If they're not, sorry.

Milhouse

by Milhouse

No worries. Usual issue in HK with anything 'official' requiring any sort of road closure is getting permission from the authorities. Hence why bike races are ridiculously short distances. Even the annual marathon finishes at 9:30am (or thereabouts) on a Sunday & on an ugly course (finish is just after the smog filled harbour tunnel). Pretty tough on those who can't run it in under 4.5hrs or so!!

God knows why they can't follow London/New York/any decent city's example of using sport events to raise the city profile. Shopping is more important I guess!

micky

by micky

Have you tried checking in Shenzhen area? I know they have quite few races in there too?

(I could ask my friend but I dont see him often online nowdays - an elite loco rider)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

micky

by micky

There's a race called Tour de Shenzhen, on 19/05.

check here http://www.doyouhike.net/forum/