training ride gone bad

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

bobalou

by bobalou

http://www.miamiherald.com/519/story/218587.html

I've seen close calls but this looks like the worst I've heard of.

drjones96

by drjones96

''There were cyclists flying all over, the glass of the car flying all over,'' Joa told Miami Herald news partner WFOR-CBS4. ``One of the riders, his hand was pinned underneath the tire of the car.''

Crap, can you imagine. The crash has already happened and this jackass is still parked on your HAND! :shock:

''I've been here since '95, and back then they used to come in groups of 10, 15 people,'' Esteban said. ``But now it's dozens of them, and they fly through the streets.

''This is not a safe place to ride a bike at high speeds,'' he added. ``It makes it dangerous for everybody.''

Yes Bicycles are very dangerous to SUV drivers everywhere. Yall better watch out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DC41

by DC41

I like the tag put on the end of the package reminding drivers that they must treat cyclists the same as they do cars. The more it's repeated the more likely someone just might pay attention.

Prayers and good vibes being sent to those injured in South Dade.
Self-Proclaimed Resident Master Fattie - Vicious DC Slither

rustychain

by rustychain

A bit off topic but I just came back from a week in Lancaster County Pa. More Amish in buggies then cars 8) I think horses are smarter then most SUV drivers.
I have had so many close calls with cars pulling out on group rides these days I prefer to ride alone or with somebody that I know well
Lets hope everyone has a full and quick recovery
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

BluSkyy

by BluSkyy

''I've been here since '95, and back then they used to come in groups of 10, 15 people,'' Esteban said. ``But now it's dozens of them, and they fly through the streets.

''This is not a safe place to ride a bike at high speeds,'' he added. ``It makes it dangerous for everybody.''

Sounds like they were right at the speed limit. Much safer than most automobile drivers on the road.

Roobay

by Roobay

This what happened to a SUV that reversed into me while i was riding my bike, i went through the rear windscreen, was cut all down one side, from the metal edges, but the worst damage was done by that non standard welded rear bull bar to my left leg.
SUV and bikes dont mix
jr
i like people... i just can't stand assholes

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

Cars should be made illegal. They are such a primitive mode of transportation :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hyde

by Hyde

I would venture to guess that 90% or better of all Bicycle/Auto accidents are in some way related to the automobile driver having never ridden a bicycle in traffic. Commuting to work I get people on a daily basis buzzing by me as close as they can to prove the point that I am on "their" road. Now I try to be a courteous cyclist & stay as close as I safely can to the curb & move completely out of the way when I can. The thing I really can't stand the most is drivers who don't obey the law of the road & do things like wait at the stop sign even though they clearly have the right of way. Divers in my opinion would be best served to follow the law, as would we cyclists. I had a guy on a motorcycle honk at me from behind repeatedly while I was coming down out of the mountains this weekend. I was waiting for a safe spot to get over, & this was only a matter of a few seconds, because the roadside was littered with fallen rocks & I in no way could safely get over right that second. Not more than 5 seconds later we passed the debris & I grabbed the brakes & pulled over to let him by. He shook his head as he went by. I really wanted to beat him sensless but I nicely just ignored the guy & finished my ride. Had i been inexperienced I could have possibly gone into the rocks when he startled me & taken him down with me.