LEW Pro VT1 wheelset with Powertap SL hub

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alienator

by alienator

C-40 wrote:Best of luck-

Even the folks at Lew know that these wheels will require regular truing and attention. At this spoke count and lightness without the integrated hub/spoke/rim you can count on it. So either you are very handy with the spoke wrench and like to pull your tires off frequently or you have lots of cash to throw at your LBS or you don't plan on putting the miles on these wheels. Either way I look at this, it is a compomise.......

Supposedly, Lew will be revising the manufacturing strategy on the integrated wheels so that they will be machine made, thereby significantly reducing the price, but not the quality.

How so?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Warblade

by Warblade

C-40,

I'm Rob's size and I have me a pair of the Reynolds DV wheels. So it's a similar setup to Rob's wheelset. Both are 16/20 spoke count. I've never had problems with truing them. I true them once a true in December when I pull off the tubulars and put new ones on.
www.ChrisDiRe.com

Adam Hansen wrote:Sponsors should not have to go, its the doped riders that should be shot instead, in the knee caps would be nice.

C-40

by C-40

I, at 165lbs, had way too many problems with the Reynolds wheels and finally sold them. I asked Lee from Lew if this problem would be similar on their rims (non-integrated set-up) he could not tell me that I would not have similar problems- he then recommended the integrated (5k) wheels. Great idea but sorry, a bit too much.
So when the main marketing guy is uncertain, well then I run the other way. Your results may vary.......

Warblade

by Warblade

C-40 wrote:I, at 165lbs, had way too many problems with the Reynolds wheels and finally sold them. I asked Lee from Lew if this problem would be similar on their rims (non-integrated set-up) he could not tell me that I would not have similar problems- he then recommended the integrated (5k) wheels. Great idea but sorry, a bit too much.
So when the main marketing guy is uncertain, well then I run the other way. Your results may vary.......

Yes, maybe so. BUT! You are 30lbs heavier than the Rob and I. Big difference. Though my Dad rides a set of the DV46C's and he's 185lbs. He's yet to have a problem.
www.ChrisDiRe.com

Adam Hansen wrote:Sponsors should not have to go, its the doped riders that should be shot instead, in the knee caps would be nice.

robsbc

by robsbc

To be fair Lee isn't a wheel builder this queston would be better aimed at Troy (aka bikemessenger) who built them up for me and has had experince with Reynold wheels.

Also LEW aren't building their rims onto third party parts this is being outsourced to another company so would explain why he couldn't confirm there would/wouldn't be problems.

I know Troy never mentioned any issues to me as he knows I'm only 63kg.

Rob
Rob

Ritterview

by Ritterview

robsbc wrote:
The Cervelo now weighs 14.08lbs.

You must be looking for 0.09 lbs to remove, to get it down to 13.99.

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

DIRT BOY wrote:Nice bike!!

But MY GOD your shifters look mounted awfully high... :shock:

Could somebody Photoshop Record parts and Thomson post to it? That would be nice to see. Also turn bar bit down...

Hmm...getting R3 is intresting thing to me...

robsbc

by robsbc

Ritterview wrote:
robsbc wrote:
The Cervelo now weighs 14.08lbs.

You must be looking for 0.09 lbs to remove, to get it down to 13.99.

Not really...

I had ZG brakes on the bike and replaced them with heavier Dura Ace brakes.

Had Tune cages but these broke and replaced them with heavier carbon cages.

Got an AX Deadalus 27.2 post but won't be using it.

Had Schmokle bars & a Syntace F99 stem but have been sold didn't like the reach on these bars.

Got a carbon seatpost clamp but won't be using it.

Got a KMC chain but won't be using it.

Got a KCNC casette but won't be usinng it.

So I would have had the bike quite close to the 13lbs mark.
Rob

bikemesenger
Shop Owner

by bikemesenger

C-40 wrote:I, at 165lbs, had way too many problems with the Reynolds wheels and finally sold them. I asked Lee from Lew if this problem would be similar on their rims (non-integrated set-up) he could not tell me that I would not have similar problems- he then recommended the integrated (5k) wheels. Great idea but sorry, a bit too much.

What type of problems did you have with your Reynolds wheels? I agree that a 16f/20r is not the best spoke count for most people but it does work surprisingly well.

The hub and lacing choice on Robs wheels will also make them a bit stiffer then a comparably laced Reynolds wheel. The front mig45 has a wider bracing angle than either a Dt or White Industries hub laced radial with the heads outside the flange. The rear wheel is laced 2x on the non drive side and 1x on the drive side. What that does is increase the bracing angle on the drive side by a couple mm's without reducing the angle on the non drive which gives it a surprising increase in lateral stiffness. Jeremy at Alchemy wheelworks has done some testing with identical wheels one 20h laced 1x drive and 2x non drive and then a 24h laced 2x both side and the 20h actually tested stiffer.

I agree that these are not the strongest most durable Powertap wheels made but considering Robs size and the stiffer lacing pattern I don't think he will have problems of needing constant truing.

As far as Lee trying to steer you toward the integrated wheel it is good that he didn't try to steer you toward something he didn't know about. Lee's background is in computers and not wheelbuilding. So he could have lied to you like most marketing guys do and told you that it would be fine to get a sale out you but he gave you the truth in that he didn't know how they would be for you.

C-40

by C-40

The problem was that the rear wheel did not stay true. Pulling off a well glued tubular was a hassle..... I was spoiled by my perfect Ksyrium's- I know, they weigh 40% more and all that, but they have been perfect and I don't have to worry about them.

I was thankful that Lew gave me a straight answer. Very rare indeed. Reynolds was always trying to patch up an inherent problem and sent me another set of wheels- similar problem. Their cusomer service was great, but for me and the roads out in the Ann Arbor countryside, the match was not good.

I asked the Lew folks to let me try the wheels for 30 days (with my credit card number in thier hands) but they never replied.

No big loss- guess they just are not very confident.

robsbc

by robsbc

I'm out on my first ride with them tonight. I plenty of different road surfaces to go over to see how they fair up.
Rob

wrestlr

by wrestlr

Awaiting initial ride report. Would like to hear comments from someone who has actually ridden these wheels.

robsbc

by robsbc

Had a 1 hour recovery ride last night (been ill for a week) and here are some initial impressions on my very first tubular carbon wheelset.

1. Initially the bike shop was going to fit Continental Competitions (new black chilli compound) but after strecting and having 2 guys they could nbot get the tubs on. So they opted to go for the new GP4000 tubualr which has a seamless design and just needed one guy to fit onto the Lew rim.

2. Upon installation of the rear wheel I found my rear derailleur was touching the spokes when in the 23T cog which is my lowest gear. Had to adjust the low limit screw, now got about 2mm clearance. On the ride noticed no touching and was able to get into the 23T without any issues. The bike was set up 3 months ago by LBS as it was a new build didn't have any issues on the clincher 28 hole clincher rim.

3. The wheels/tyres roll real nice - floating senstation almost effortless. As a comparison my current wheelset is 1600g with Veloflex Black clinchers and latex tubes (plus a Poweratp).

4. Bike feels very light and nimble when out of the saddle on climbs.

5. The bike shop didn't do a good job with securing the valve extenders so I'm getting the dreaded ticking noise. Have now source heatshrink from work.

6. I noticed a slight noise and it seems the rear wheel is slighlty touching the brake pad when out of the saddle. I opened the brake lever 4 notches and the noise disappeared. Need to investigate and see if the rear brake are set up dead central for starters. The brake pads are set about 3 mm away from rim usually.

7. Braking using standard Dura Ace pads and they stop well. Not tried in the wet but don't expect to use them in the wet unless I get caught out in the rain.

Summary:-
I'm impressed with the wheels on yesterdays ride, I just wanted to carry on riding as I mentioned earlier the ride felt effortless.

As my first set of tubulars they are darn nice! I believe have some minor brake rub, perhaps the rear wheel does have a bit of flex even though I'm only 63kg but it's not the end of the world. Will find out again on tomorrow's ride after checking the brakes.
Last edited by robsbc on Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rob

C-40

by C-40

Glad you enjoyed them-

You are riding on some of the lightest wheels on the market place, so they should feel (and be) light!

Now don't forget to write an update every thousand miles or so......
Maybe at your weight, they will be fine......

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jipperd

by jipperd

It's good to hear some experience of users, i'm kind of suprised that even at your weight the rearwheel rubs the brake's. However if you check the review of pk0r at FWB, he's experiencing the same problem:
http://www.fairwheelbikes.com/forum/vie ... php?t=3630