Awards/prizes/premiums

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Martin.F

by Martin.F

Just curious, what are the most common awards/prizes/premiums where you live?

I've done quite a few top 3 places this year and so far I have won this:

A bicycle worth 1000$
A knife
2 bowls
A cup
Around 500$ in total
A pump
A goblet

As you can see, the goblets are not very common over here, it's more like craftmanship from the local place + money.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Giantlover

by Giantlover

Money? :lol: 8)

Martin.F

by Martin.F

You lucky bastard :D I hate it when I get a knife or something. It will be cool when I get 80, and can look back at my bright career, but I will probably be dead by then anyway :lol:

bike bling

by bike bling

While I've never been so luck to get kitchen utensils for a prime, I have won a crucial 10s time bonus + a 6-pack of coke, a water bottle and 20$. They were crazy with the coke that race. Any time you got a placing, won a prime they gave you a 6-pack. The womens field was really small and one girl won everything, she was stuck with 5 6-packs and she didn't even drink coke. :lol:

Normally I don't bother going for primes, because if you think about how much you spend on equipment, travelling to races, and entrance fees. And if you add in how much effort and dedication you spend training all year why throw away a good race result just for a modest amount of money or prizes.

AKASTANA

by AKASTANA

i won a bike bottle and a t-shirt for coming first in an under 18s XC event once, i threw both in the bin 'cos they were lame...won nothing since...karma.
"You are only limited by fear and even that can be overcome..." Seth Morrison

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

Cashola, and nothing but. Though I did get two medals, but that was for the regional championships.

edski

by edski

expired Jamba Juice cards! heck we don't even know what the prizes are when we line up...

rouleursteve

by rouleursteve

We get cash that might just about cover the entry fee... I had a conversation with a teamate who agreed that it would be nicer to win something you could actually keep!

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

How much of a cut do your clubs take? :? Over here, its something like 80+% of entry money to prizemoney for general events.

jay cee

by jay cee

i've won all sorts, cakes, biscuits, cheese, foreign currency, stopwatch, socks, bidon, wine, money. the list goes on. but, I've never been ungrateful for any of it, as someone has been prepared to donate it. at the moment there is a lap prime on ebay for sale for the Newport Nocturne race in England. None of the riders will actually get it though.... It goes to a very good charity, the Dave Rayner Foundation.

oh yeah, forgot to mention. I did a crit in Holland that had primes down to 20th place on some laps.... Judges nightmare.
J EURO

Rodrego Hernandez

by Rodrego Hernandez

jay cee wrote:i've won all sorts, cakes, biscuits, cheese, foreign currency, stopwatch, socks, bidon, wine, money. the list goes on. but, I've never been ungrateful for any of it, as someone has been prepared to donate it. at the moment there is a lap prime on ebay for sale for the Newport Nocturne race in England. None of the riders will actually get it though.... It goes to a very good charity, the Dave Rayner Foundation.

oh yeah, forgot to mention. I did a crit in Holland that had primes down to 20th place on some laps.... Judges nightmare.

Seeing as the Rayner fund paid for Tom Simpsons memorial to be cleaned I'm not sure you can call it a 'very good charity'. I certainly won't be giving it any more money.

Kasparz

by Kasparz

Some toys when i was a kid, some cups, lots of magazines, tons of sweets and so. Nothing really big or expensive.
But i would like to know what competition you won to get 1k$ worth bike :shock:
Even for winning a biggest local marathon(UCI E-2 cat) for overall you can get ~500$, and for winning one race ~250$.

Martin.F

by Martin.F

It was actually a race that's not very big and important. It does not include in any cups, and it's not very important. I guess the prize was with such value to attract riders.

Besides that, a bike is actually a really smart prize. Say e.g the bike won. It has a sale value of 1000$, I sold it for about 800. But when it comes to the sponsors that donate the prizes, it only costs them 2-300$. So it costs the sponsors less then what you sell it for.

jay cee

by jay cee

Rodrego Hernandez wrote:
jay cee wrote:i've won all sorts, cakes, biscuits, cheese, foreign currency, stopwatch, socks, bidon, wine, money. the list goes on. but, I've never been ungrateful for any of it, as someone has been prepared to donate it. at the moment there is a lap prime on ebay for sale for the Newport Nocturne race in England. None of the riders will actually get it though.... It goes to a very good charity, the Dave Rayner Foundation.

Seeing as the Rayner fund paid for Tom Simpsons memorial to be cleaned I'm not sure you can call it a 'very good charity'. I certainly won't be giving it any more money.

matter of opinion I suppose. I support the charity, as the vast majority of the funds raised go to helping young hopeful riders race on the continent.
J EURO

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

martin

by martin

My trophies include a pair of socks, several power bars, a glass artefact (10th participance :D), some tin medals and 1 (one) cup, all but the powerbars are catching dust, including the socks (too large). Our club gives avay vouchers for our LBS for the annual winners.

When you get older you relize not very many people really care if you won 3rd place club championship of a bunch of other sparetime cyclists, so you start appreciating prices that you actually can use. We got one young fast fella who just came in overall fifth in the Giro Dolomiti. Quite an achievement, and he got a big smoked ham, a large piece of italian cheese, and a bottle of wine. Silly boy was disappointed, he would have preferred fake silverware... but i trust he'll learn :D
Snowman and Strong Walker
Scott Sc
my old stuff
my new stuff