Discovery is done! Update: Hincapie joins t-Mobile

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

RollinOn27s

by RollinOn27s

DocRay wrote:
Eekz wrote:who's successor?

Lemond never was the cycling hero he wanted to be

Lemond is still the best cyclist, and sportsman, to ever come out of the US.
He cares about the sport, which is why he says things that people would rather not like to hear. Amazing the amount of cognitive denial that occurs in bike racing.

You obviously know very little about baseball, then.

chrism

by chrism

RollinOn27s wrote:
DocRay wrote:

He cares about the sport, which is why he says things that people would rather not like to hear. Amazing the amount of cognitive denial that occurs in bike racing.

Neither does the rest of the world, who are undoubtedly more likely to have heard of Lemond than somebody who competes in a sport which is largely only played in the US. Anyway in a somewhat ironic twist, a large part of the story in the international media about the top baseball player who's just broken some record (that news did make it to the outside world, but I couldn't say I know what his name is) was that he's probably taken drugs :lol:
No scales on the trails

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

critracer26

by critracer26

I read somewhere this morning that Danielson joined t-mobile.

BW

by BW

critracer26 wrote:I read somewhere this morning that Danielson joined t-mobile.

With Ferrari as a coach I hope not. He'd be better suited to cleaning bikes or washing clothes as he's proved he's no good at riding a bike. :lol:

CharlesM

by CharlesM

RollinOn27s wrote:
DocRay wrote:

First we need to define "best".

Both Armstrong and Lemond worked wonders for rider salary and the sports recignition in the US and the world (not every country is Euro cycling knowledgable after all and Lance did expose mor people to the sport that anyone else). But they certainly have a different course of involvement.

As for baseball, I would guess Barry Bonds might be an example of "best"?

Both sports have their historical images and personalities, but it would be a bit of fodder for Euro's to think Cycling is more to the world just as it would be for someone from here to think Baseball is more to the general world population.

That said, I think Lance Armstrong has more world recognition than anyone else in cycling or baseball... I'm not saying he's best, but I would say he's more recognizable than either sport...

santacruzxt

by santacruzxt

BW wrote:
critracer26 wrote:I read somewhere this morning that Danielson joined t-mobile.

With Ferrari as a coach I hope not. He'd be better suited to cleaning bikes or washing clothes as he's proved he's no good at riding a bike. :lol:

Danielson has just been treated for a parasite he picked up in late 2003 that no one was able to diagnose properly. I don't think I would make a statement about him being no good at riding a bike. He is still my prediction for going with T-Mobile.
07 Pinarello Paris Carbon
06 Trek Equinox 11
05 Trek 8500
88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
72 Schwinn Continental
www.cougarcycling.com

jalapeno

by jalapeno

BW wrote:

oh right, and you are? He seems pretty good in my book and should be again now he's well.
-------------------
Gravitas est meus Hostilis
Painted Roads Cycling: http://www.paintedroads.com
Words: http://mikesimagination.wordpress.com

BW

by BW

jalapeno wrote:
BW wrote:

oh right, and you are? He seems pretty good in my book and should be again now he's well.

Sorry, didn't realise I just stated I was so much better than him. In my book he's overrated and has achieved next to nothing. Not got the cleanest of reputations either but I guess time will tell. :wink:

santacruzxt

by santacruzxt

He has hardly been able to ride a bike this year, and you call him a poor rider? Do you keep up with cycling news? Let me refresh your memory of some of his performances, let's see what some training does to this guy.
http://www.tomdanielson.com/pages/results.htm
07 Pinarello Paris Carbon
06 Trek Equinox 11
05 Trek 8500
88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
72 Schwinn Continental
www.cougarcycling.com

BW

by BW

santacruzxt wrote:He has hardly been able to ride a bike this year, and you call him a poor rider? Do you keep up with cycling news? Let me refresh your memory of some of his performances, let's see what some training does to this guy.
http://www.tomdanielson.com/pages/results.htm

Yes, lets see shall we. I wonder if losing Ferrari as a coach make a difference. Overrated based on his performances.

eurostar

by eurostar

People shouldn't be upset about Tailwind folding. It's an important victory in the battle against doping. (I celebrated it with my first drink since March.) It proves to all the team managers, riders and sponsors that you can't survive in pro cycling unless you're willing to prove, week in, week out, that you're clean. Bruyneel did nothing to combat the doping culture. All he did was sit there saying 'we've never failed a test'. Big deal. If he'd signed up with ACE instead of Basso he would still be in business. Why didn't he? Complacency? Or did he have too much to hide? My money's on the latter. With luck, Bruyneel's failure will push ASO or ACE or somebody to take control away from the idiots at the UCI and save the sport before it's too late.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

I have never tested positive for alcohol.

Skyleth

by Skyleth

eurostar wrote:People shouldn't be upset about Tailwind folding. It's an important victory in the battle against doping. (I celebrated it with my first drink since March.) It proves to all the team managers, riders and sponsors that you can't survive in pro cycling unless you're willing to prove, week in, week out, that you're clean. Bruyneel did nothing to combat the doping culture. All he did was sit there saying 'we've never failed a test'. Big deal. If he'd signed up with ACE instead of Basso he would still be in business. Why didn't he? Complacency? Or did he have too much to hide? My money's on the latter. With luck, Bruyneel's failure will push ASO or ACE or somebody to take control away from the idiots at the UCI and save the sport before it's too late.

that tin foil hat must have looked weird at the bar :P
Rule #1. Superheroes Wear Tights

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RollinOn27s

by RollinOn27s

eurostar wrote:People shouldn't be upset about Tailwind folding. It's an important victory in the battle against doping. (I celebrated it with my first drink since March.) It proves to all the team managers, riders and sponsors that you can't survive in pro cycling unless you're willing to prove, week in, week out, that you're clean. Bruyneel did nothing to combat the doping culture. All he did was sit there saying 'we've never failed a test'. Big deal. If he'd signed up with ACE instead of Basso he would still be in business. Why didn't he? Complacency? Or did he have too much to hide? My money's on the latter. With luck, Bruyneel's failure will push ASO or ACE or somebody to take control away from the idiots at the UCI and save the sport before it's too late.

One would think that never failing a drug test in the 10 or so years as a team would indicate this. Or maybe that's just me...

So why aren't you so fervent about getting Patrick Lefevre out of the sport, then? Isn't he the HEAD of the ProTour teams council? One word for you: MAPEI.

(Not that I think Disco is clean...I just fail to see how a perfect record against doping positives stands for nothing against...words. People can say all they want about their anti-doping stance, but in some cases, like Sinkewitz/T-Mobile, what does that really even mean?)