Team Slipstream's Future?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

So now Trek have no team. Discovery gone means a ProTour license has opened up too.

Grasschopper

by Grasschopper

RTW wrote:So now Trek have no team. Discovery gone means a ProTour license has opened up too.

Hmm Trek has no team and Astana needs bikes...someone needs to be on the phone.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tugboat

by Tugboat

Slipstream are so far lacking a strong GC rider... I'd bet that Leipheimer has just shot to the top of their shopping list.
Nice bike... you ever take it off any sweet jumps?
2020 Canyon Speedmax CF | 2018 8bar Mitte | 2016 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX | 2016 Cannondale Synapse Carbon | 2016 Cannondale F-Si Carbon | 2017 Scott Scale (singlespeed)

airsoft510

by airsoft510

I remember Vaughters saying he isnt sure if he wants a pro tour license yet because he doesnt have a strong enough squad to do all 3 grand tours.

In another article about the team, Neil at Road said they are a little short on money after paying the recent signings, so he's looking into getting some younger riders (maybe Devine?)

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

Even Evans might be someone for Slipstream to look for, regarding a GC rider, considering their "we are clean" attitude.

But I feel sorry for the Slipstream riders who've been kicked off the team, and whoever is balancing the books, because running the team as Slipstream last year was basically putting the team into debt, and unless they can arrange a new sponsor (unlikely, when you look at Discovery folding, the Unibet debacle, T-mobile taking a good hard look, Cofidis gone) all of these big budget riders will be eating nothing but their pride by the end of the year if the money isn't coming in.

DC41

by DC41

Skillgannon wrote:Even Evans might be someone for Slipstream to look for, regarding a GC rider, considering their "we are clean" attitude.

But I feel sorry for the Slipstream riders who've been kicked off the team, and whoever is balancing the books, because running the team as Slipstream last year was basically putting the team into debt, and unless they can arrange a new sponsor (unlikely, when you look at Discovery folding, the Unibet debacle, T-mobile taking a good hard look, Cofidis gone) all of these big budget riders will be eating nothing but their pride by the end of the year if the money isn't coming in.

They have a "sugar daddy". I don't remember his name and am too lazy to look it up. He's some millionaire who covers the difference between sponsor dollars and expenses.

Personally, I think that's pretty cool. I'd like to think that's something I'd do if I had the money.
Self-Proclaimed Resident Master Fattie - Vicious DC Slither

QuattroAssini

by QuattroAssini

The Anti Doping stance is a perfect lead in for gathering dollars. It just makes it easier. That's not to say they are not going to try and genuinely pull it off. After speaking to a couple of the bigger names in the last year or so, these guys are basically fed up with how things work. I believe they're looking forward to giving it a clean, healthy go

Exactly right.....Slipstream is spending a very large portion of their operating fund on their testing program (10% is the figure I heard). And for their expenditure, they bought some good press, good rapport with the big tour organizers and finally(most importantly) they have essentially built in an 'insurance policy' of sorts for whomever steps up to sponsor them.

The only worry I have about Slipstream's testing program stems from a comment I read in an interview with JV. While explaining the course of their program, he essentially said that they are doing 'biomonitoring' to look for changes in the rider's 'chemistry', but not testing directly for EPO, Testost...or other enhancers. He commented that they would leave those tests to the existing UCI testers........Personally, if I was making that big of an investment, I would not want to leave that critical portion of the testing to the UCI.... If I were going to do it, I'd do the whole thing instead of just a portion......

Felts are nice bikes..... and their TT bike is pretty slippery looking while remaining reasonably light....

Warblade

by Warblade

DC41 wrote:
Skillgannon wrote:Even Evans might be someone for Slipstream to look for, regarding a GC rider, considering their "we are clean" attitude.

They have a "sugar daddy". I don't remember his name and am too lazy to look it up. He's some millionaire who covers the difference between sponsor dollars and expenses.

Personally, I think that's pretty cool. I'd like to think that's something I'd do if I had the money.

Just so you can sleep tonight, his name is Doug Ellis. He's a New York Investor of some sort. Stock I presume.
www.ChrisDiRe.com

Adam Hansen wrote:Sponsors should not have to go, its the doped riders that should be shot instead, in the knee caps would be nice.

Warblade

by Warblade

Skillgannon wrote:(unlikely, when you look at Discovery folding, the Unibet debacle, T-mobile taking a good hard look, Cofidis gone)

Maybe I'm just naive, but did I miss something? Did Cofidis pull their sponsorship?
www.ChrisDiRe.com

Adam Hansen wrote:Sponsors should not have to go, its the doped riders that should be shot instead, in the knee caps would be nice.

henkie

by henkie

Warblade wrote:
Skillgannon wrote:(unlikely, when you look at Discovery folding, the Unibet debacle, T-mobile taking a good hard look, Cofidis gone)

Maybe I'm just naive, but did I miss something? Did Cofidis pull their sponsorship?

Not yet, they have a contract till end 2008. But then it's over.

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

Ok - must've gotten confused with that, so make that Cofidis going

Tugboat

by Tugboat

Isn't Credit Agricole ending or reviewing their sponsorship at the end of the year?
Nice bike... you ever take it off any sweet jumps?
2020 Canyon Speedmax CF | 2018 8bar Mitte | 2016 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX | 2016 Cannondale Synapse Carbon | 2016 Cannondale F-Si Carbon | 2017 Scott Scale (singlespeed)

airsoft510

by airsoft510

News Flash: Matt White signs with Slipstream.

Heres what Trek said about becoming a Slipstream sponsor:

"Slipstream is a candidate for a components sponsor, but most likely not with the frame. I think they have an existing deal and we're not a home-wrecker company. If there's an agreement that stands, we don't mess it up."

cyclingnews:

Slipstream director Jonathan Vaughters confirmed to Cyclingnews that existing frame sponsor Felt would continue with the team into 2008.

So it looks like Felt will continue into 2008. cool.

micky

by micky

Tugboat wrote:Isn't Credit Agricole ending or reviewing their sponsorship at the end of the year?

In 2008, as Cofidis.

So...there could be a few more Pro Tour spots for Slipstreams or whoever else!

Depending, of course, if Pro Tour will be still around! :D

CharlesM

by CharlesM

QuattroAssini wrote:

The only worry I have about Slipstream's testing program stems from a comment I read in an interview with JV. While explaining the course of their program, he essentially said that they are doing 'biomonitoring' to look for changes in the rider's 'chemistry', but not testing directly for EPO, Testost...or other enhancers. He commented that they would leave those tests to the existing UCI testers........Personally, if I was making that big of an investment, I would not want to leave that critical portion of the testing to the UCI.... If I were going to do it, I'd do the whole thing instead of just a portion......

The Bio testing is a huge plus.

Pez just posted a comment and it left out the one thing I would like to see and that is team management held accountable, and this is a key ingredient to that.

Team Doctors doing performance testing throughout the year is a very good way to monitor. So good in fact that no doped rider should ever lose his job without the manager and team doctor being fired as well.

a rider who's VO2 Max, crit level watts at LT threshold changes a cerytain amount in a short enough period of time is easy to spot and hold out.

Team Doctors at this point recognize that fantastic gains and simply make sure the riders crit is manipulated to stay low... Simply put, team doctors are keeping riders testable, not clean.

What they should be is internally suspending them as they know what the risk is, then if it shos again, they lose a job.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com