Team Slipstream's Future?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

RTW
in the industry
Posts: 3187
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:32 pm

by RTW

So now Trek have no team. Discovery gone means a ProTour license has opened up too.

Grasschopper
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:56 pm
Location: Central PA

by Grasschopper

RTW wrote:So now Trek have no team. Discovery gone means a ProTour license has opened up too.

Hmm Trek has no team and Astana needs bikes...someone needs to be on the phone.

by Weenie


Tugboat
Posts: 269
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:40 am
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

by Tugboat

Slipstream are so far lacking a strong GC rider... I'd bet that Leipheimer has just shot to the top of their shopping list.
Nice bike... you ever take it off any sweet jumps?
2016 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
2016 Cannondale Synapse Carbon
2016 Cannondale F-Si Carbon

User avatar
airsoft510
Posts: 1440
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:25 pm
Location: Oakland CA
Contact:

by airsoft510

I remember Vaughters saying he isnt sure if he wants a pro tour license yet because he doesnt have a strong enough squad to do all 3 grand tours.

In another article about the team, Neil at Road said they are a little short on money after paying the recent signings, so he's looking into getting some younger riders (maybe Devine?)

Skillgannon
Posts: 3603
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:17 am
Location: A bigger rock in the Pacific (AUS)

by Skillgannon

Even Evans might be someone for Slipstream to look for, regarding a GC rider, considering their "we are clean" attitude.

But I feel sorry for the Slipstream riders who've been kicked off the team, and whoever is balancing the books, because running the team as Slipstream last year was basically putting the team into debt, and unless they can arrange a new sponsor (unlikely, when you look at Discovery folding, the Unibet debacle, T-mobile taking a good hard look, Cofidis gone) all of these big budget riders will be eating nothing but their pride by the end of the year if the money isn't coming in.

User avatar
DC41
Posts: 819
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:36 pm

by DC41

Skillgannon wrote:Even Evans might be someone for Slipstream to look for, regarding a GC rider, considering their "we are clean" attitude.

But I feel sorry for the Slipstream riders who've been kicked off the team, and whoever is balancing the books, because running the team as Slipstream last year was basically putting the team into debt, and unless they can arrange a new sponsor (unlikely, when you look at Discovery folding, the Unibet debacle, T-mobile taking a good hard look, Cofidis gone) all of these big budget riders will be eating nothing but their pride by the end of the year if the money isn't coming in.


They have a "sugar daddy". I don't remember his name and am too lazy to look it up. He's some millionaire who covers the difference between sponsor dollars and expenses.

Personally, I think that's pretty cool. I'd like to think that's something I'd do if I had the money.
Self-Proclaimed Resident Master Fattie - Vicious DC Slither

User avatar
QuattroAssini
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:29 pm

by QuattroAssini

The Anti Doping stance is a perfect lead in for gathering dollars. It just makes it easier. That's not to say they are not going to try and genuinely pull it off. After speaking to a couple of the bigger names in the last year or so, these guys are basically fed up with how things work. I believe they're looking forward to giving it a clean, healthy go



Exactly right.....Slipstream is spending a very large portion of their operating fund on their testing program (10% is the figure I heard). And for their expenditure, they bought some good press, good rapport with the big tour organizers and finally(most importantly) they have essentially built in an 'insurance policy' of sorts for whomever steps up to sponsor them.

The only worry I have about Slipstream's testing program stems from a comment I read in an interview with JV. While explaining the course of their program, he essentially said that they are doing 'biomonitoring' to look for changes in the rider's 'chemistry', but not testing directly for EPO, Testost...or other enhancers. He commented that they would leave those tests to the existing UCI testers........Personally, if I was making that big of an investment, I would not want to leave that critical portion of the testing to the UCI.... If I were going to do it, I'd do the whole thing instead of just a portion......

Felts are nice bikes..... and their TT bike is pretty slippery looking while remaining reasonably light....

User avatar
Warblade
Posts: 1715
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:20 am
Location: Seattle, Wa
Contact:

by Warblade

DC41 wrote:
Skillgannon wrote:Even Evans might be someone for Slipstream to look for, regarding a GC rider, considering their "we are clean" attitude.

But I feel sorry for the Slipstream riders who've been kicked off the team, and whoever is balancing the books, because running the team as Slipstream last year was basically putting the team into debt, and unless they can arrange a new sponsor (unlikely, when you look at Discovery folding, the Unibet debacle, T-mobile taking a good hard look, Cofidis gone) all of these big budget riders will be eating nothing but their pride by the end of the year if the money isn't coming in.


They have a "sugar daddy". I don't remember his name and am too lazy to look it up. He's some millionaire who covers the difference between sponsor dollars and expenses.

Personally, I think that's pretty cool. I'd like to think that's something I'd do if I had the money.


Just so you can sleep tonight, his name is Doug Ellis. He's a New York Investor of some sort. Stock I presume.
www.ChrisDiRe.com

Adam Hansen wrote:Sponsors should not have to go, its the doped riders that should be shot instead, in the knee caps would be nice.

User avatar
Warblade
Posts: 1715
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:20 am
Location: Seattle, Wa
Contact:

by Warblade

Skillgannon wrote:(unlikely, when you look at Discovery folding, the Unibet debacle, T-mobile taking a good hard look, Cofidis gone)


Maybe I'm just naive, but did I miss something? Did Cofidis pull their sponsorship?
www.ChrisDiRe.com

Adam Hansen wrote:Sponsors should not have to go, its the doped riders that should be shot instead, in the knee caps would be nice.

henkie
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:39 pm

by henkie

Warblade wrote:
Skillgannon wrote:(unlikely, when you look at Discovery folding, the Unibet debacle, T-mobile taking a good hard look, Cofidis gone)


Maybe I'm just naive, but did I miss something? Did Cofidis pull their sponsorship?


Not yet, they have a contract till end 2008. But then it's over.

Skillgannon
Posts: 3603
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:17 am
Location: A bigger rock in the Pacific (AUS)

by Skillgannon

Ok - must've gotten confused with that, so make that Cofidis going

Tugboat
Posts: 269
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:40 am
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

by Tugboat

Isn't Credit Agricole ending or reviewing their sponsorship at the end of the year?
Nice bike... you ever take it off any sweet jumps?
2016 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
2016 Cannondale Synapse Carbon
2016 Cannondale F-Si Carbon

User avatar
airsoft510
Posts: 1440
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:25 pm
Location: Oakland CA
Contact:

by airsoft510

News Flash: Matt White signs with Slipstream.

Heres what Trek said about becoming a Slipstream sponsor:

"Slipstream is a candidate for a components sponsor, but most likely not with the frame. I think they have an existing deal and we're not a home-wrecker company. If there's an agreement that stands, we don't mess it up."


cyclingnews:

Slipstream director Jonathan Vaughters confirmed to Cyclingnews that existing frame sponsor Felt would continue with the team into 2008.


So it looks like Felt will continue into 2008. cool.

User avatar
micky
Posts: 4632
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:57 pm
Location: Vicenza
Contact:

by micky

Tugboat wrote:Isn't Credit Agricole ending or reviewing their sponsorship at the end of the year?


In 2008, as Cofidis.

So...there could be a few more Pro Tour spots for Slipstreams or whoever else!

Depending, of course, if Pro Tour will be still around! :D

by Weenie


User avatar
CharlesM
Posts: 5771
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:37 am
Location: Phoenix Arizona

by CharlesM

QuattroAssini wrote:

The only worry I have about Slipstream's testing program stems from a comment I read in an interview with JV. While explaining the course of their program, he essentially said that they are doing 'biomonitoring' to look for changes in the rider's 'chemistry', but not testing directly for EPO, Testost...or other enhancers. He commented that they would leave those tests to the existing UCI testers........Personally, if I was making that big of an investment, I would not want to leave that critical portion of the testing to the UCI.... If I were going to do it, I'd do the whole thing instead of just a portion......



The Bio testing is a huge plus.

Pez just posted a comment and it left out the one thing I would like to see and that is team management held accountable, and this is a key ingredient to that.

Team Doctors doing performance testing throughout the year is a very good way to monitor. So good in fact that no doped rider should ever lose his job without the manager and team doctor being fired as well.

a rider who's VO2 Max, crit level watts at LT threshold changes a cerytain amount in a short enough period of time is easy to spot and hold out.

Team Doctors at this point recognize that fantastic gains and simply make sure the riders crit is manipulated to stay low... Simply put, team doctors are keeping riders testable, not clean.

What they should be is internally suspending them as they know what the risk is, then if it shos again, they lose a job.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post