Team Slipstream's Future?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

airsoft510

by airsoft510

Hey guys, as some of you may know Slipstream has signed 5 major names. Magnus Backstedt, Christian Vande Velde, David Vabriskie, Julian Dean, and David Millar.

What do you guys think about the future of this team? tour de france 08? 09? Paris Roubaix?

does this mean Millar, and Backstedt are going to be racing in the US more? (good for US citizens like me).

Is slipstream the new anit-doping team? are they the key to anti-doping as millar imposes?

I think it would be cool to see them in the tour. I would like to see Millar and Zabriskie on a Felt TT bike as that is what I ride. Although I dont see why Millar thinks its a good anti-doping team, is it because they are going to be new to the big Euro cycling scene?
Last edited by airsoft510 on Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redevoke

by redevoke

Kind of ironic to sign Millar to the "New Anti-Doping Team"

I think the new names on a newer team is great for american cycling. Slipstream made a great presence at the Amgen Tour.
Your Bike Sucks
2007 Kestrel Evoke
Record Group

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

santacruzxt

by santacruzxt

Julian Dean isn't a big name? Or did I miss something?
I think they will have a very strong bid for Paris Roubiax since all of the recent past winners will already be there, they need Backstedt to complete it.
07 Pinarello Paris Carbon
06 Trek Equinox 11
05 Trek 8500
88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
72 Schwinn Continental
www.cougarcycling.com

jersievers

by jersievers

redevoke wrote:Kind of ironic to sign Millar to the "New Anti-Doping Team"

I think the new names on a newer team is great for american cycling. Slipstream made a great presence at the Amgen Tour.

Kind of not ironic, irony would be hiring Jan.

David is the poster child for refomed dopers, he is a perfect fit.
latest project <-getting lighter @ 6920 CyclingUpdate.com

airsoft510

by airsoft510

santacruzxt wrote:Julian Dean isn't a big name? Or did I miss something?
I think they will have a very strong bid for Paris Roubiax since all of the recent past winners will already be there, they need Backstedt to complete it.

good point, that one slipped my mind.. i edit my orig. post, thanks.

urace4me2

by urace4me2

jersievers wrote:
redevoke wrote:
David is the poster child for refomed dopers, he is a perfect fit.

Nope, poster child not allowed to have that nasty sun screen look. :D

jay cee

by jay cee

Christian Vande Velde, i wouldnt say is a major name. but a good dependable rider, reliable etc.(just my opinion). good luck to the team. seems like they have signed some names to guarantee them into some big races next year.
J EURO

Skunk

by Skunk

JV's plan is to be pro tour in '09 and hopefully get wildcards to P-R and TdF in '08. Even though they don't have a real GC contender they have a handful of TdF wins amongst their new signees and a couple yellow jerseys. They have a pretty good chance of getting a wildcard for the Tour next year.

I think Backstedt said he has a lot of fans in the US and looks forward to racing more in the States.

I have no clue why Dean signed with them.

musket

by musket

santacruzxt wrote:Julian Dean isn't a big name? Or did I miss something?

Not a major name? Dean is possibly the most respected lead out man in the game, and a talented classics rider, who's given everything as a domestique over recent years. Take a look at his palmares.

DC41

by DC41

I think they will get any invitation they seek.

JV supposedly has a great relationship with ASO and the UCI. They are marketing themselves as "The Anti-doping Team" above all else. Organizers will clamor to get them into their events just for the PR value.

The fact that they've signed some quality Pro Tour riders just makes things easier.

Please don't misunderstand. The above may sound cynical, but I admire what JV is doing, the stand riders are taking and the message they are sending by signing with his team, and I love that fugly team kit!
Self-Proclaimed Resident Master Fattie - Vicious DC Slither

ElDuderino

by ElDuderino

i hope that the signing of all these big-name riders won't effect the current development riders racing for slipstream...

BoulderBlunder

by BoulderBlunder

ElDuderino wrote:i hope that the signing of all these big-name riders won't effect the current development riders racing for slipstream...

It is, they are getting rid of half the team. Honestly, I think it's pretty rediculous signing all these guys. The whole point of the team was to get a team of young americans to the tour, not hire a bunch of guys who have ridden it plenty of times before. Is that supposed to be an accomplishment??

Why not just take over Disco's sponsorship and re-market as an anti-doping team?

DesFlurane

by DesFlurane

All these guys are near the end of their careers.
With no lock on getting the wildcards or a Protour ticket, I feel sorry for the guys who are getting sacked.

BenCousins

by BenCousins

BoulderBlunder wrote:
ElDuderino wrote:i hope that the signing of all these big-name riders won't effect the current development riders racing for slipstream...

It is, they are getting rid of half the team. Honestly, I think it's pretty rediculous signing all these guys. The whole point of the team was to get a team of young americans to the tour, not hire a bunch of guys who have ridden it plenty of times before. Is that supposed to be an accomplishment??

Why not just take over Disco's sponsorship and re-market as an anti-doping team?

A vehemently anti-doping team in the pro tour would be a hell of an accomplishment.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

STARNUT

by STARNUT

lets keep this somewhat on topic.....................what kind of bikes are they going to be on? I bet not Felt............ 8)

Starnut
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM