Zipp 202 wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

We know what we are talking about Superheavy. Keep drinking your coffee. :D

I think I'm going to order the Corima/Spada combination, I don't want to be a Zipp test dummy, I have done that in the past without any joy.
Ride lightly!

CP

by CP

Sorry,
How can you get corima winium rims with spada hubs? Don't the winiums come already built?
Thanks
CP

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

The rims are available seperately I believe. Regardless, the Spada importer says he can supply them.
Ride lightly!

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

I know that this was gone over in the spada thread, but did someone say that the spada front hub is straight pull only? If so what spokes can you use? Do you have to get straight pull spokes from that company whose name is escaping me that supplies zipp?

benz76

by benz76

To: Ye Olde Balde One

For me your choice is very good, and very wise, too...
Corima's Winiums are very stiff, still remaining very light. Strenght is a Corima's policy (except for Mediums), while it seems to me that Zipp prefers building something lighter but little softer.
I've heard comparisons between Corima Aero rims and Zipp 415 rims, both assembled on Corima hubs and Sapim spokes, reporting Aeros being stiffer than Zipps...

It's all a matter of personal feelings, I think...

Bye, Benz.

Joel

by Joel

520 Dan wrote:I know that this was gone over in the spada thread, but did someone say that the spada front hub is straight pull only? If so what spokes can you use? Do you have to get straight pull spokes from that company whose name is escaping me that supplies zipp?

Those are Sapim spokes: CX-Ray 2.3*0.9mm: 260mm*64spokes = 278g

CP

by CP

Ye Old Bald one,
Could you give me your source for the Winiums with Spada hubs?
Thanks,
CP

Joel

by Joel

You can order just the Winium rims on the Corima site

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

520 Dan wrote:I know that this was gone over in the spada thread, but did someone say that the spada front hub is straight pull only? If so what spokes can you use? Do you have to get straight pull spokes from that company whose name is escaping me that supplies zipp?

Sapim, ACI and DT all make straight pull spokes. For a rim like this, I'll ask for either the ACI Elliptical, or the DT Revolution. This is based on weight considerations mainly, the ACI are heavier but a proper elliptical spoke. Plus, if you look closely at the CX Ray, the area of the spoke where they transition from round to flat is normally badly formed. For such an expensive spoke this is wrong.

I have one set of Spada hubs on Ambrosio Carbo-X rims (which is the Corima Aero) in 18/24h configuration with ACI elliptical spokes. They have been very reliable. For the Winium I hope for the same.

I'm ordering from my LBS, who gets Spada and FRM from the distributor out here, Royle Wheels. They are on the contact page at FRM's website.
Ride lightly!

spytech

by spytech

Ye Olde Balde One wrote:We know what we are talking about Superheavy. Keep drinking your coffee. :D

I think I'm going to order the Corima/Spada combination, I don't want to be a Zipp test dummy, I have done that in the past without any joy.

how much for those corima/spada combination? i didnt understand why you didnt like the sapim CX-ray spokes, what is wrong with them?

and is there a weight limit on the corima rims?

CP

by CP

YOBO could you hook me up with your LBS? I'm interested in the same set up as you.
My email: poletis@elab.ch

spytech

by spytech

corima/spada combination can you ride that everyday? would you ride that everyday?

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

spytech wrote:corima/spada combination can you ride that everyday? would you ride that everyday?

I wouldn't ride any carbon rim wheels everyday, why take the risk of causing damage like that?

Also, if you ride something like that everyday, then it becomes your norm, so where do you go when you want something special for a special ride?
Ride lightly!

Superlite

by Superlite

You took the words right out of my mouth.

The only exception to it would be a zipp 415 or 505 rim. At 515g and 575g they are pretty heavy, plus the aluminum sidewall would allow you to use them dailey. But what's the point of spending 1350 on heavy carbon clinchers? Buy a bombproof set of open pros 32 spokes and ultegra hubs.

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

how much for those corima/spada combination? i didnt understand why you didnt like the sapim CX-ray spokes, what is wrong with them?

and is there a weight limit on the corima rims?[/quote]

Mine cost $1695.00 a pair. I don't like the way CX Ray spokes are shaped, there is always mishaping where the blade transitions to the round section. This shouldn't happen on such an expensive spoke!

I don't think there is any weight limit, but if you are 200+ lbs maybe you need to look at the spare tire :twisted:
Ride lightly!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com