How much do you train?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Furti

by Furti

I just read some info about Gunn-Rita Dahle.

She trains 20h/week winter time. And in the racing season she trains: 15-20h/week.

I usually train 12h/week in wintertime as average. (The max is 18h)
and 12-14h/week in race season. (The max is 18,5h)

Unfortunately I have no more time. I have to work 8,5hours a day :(
MTB XC and Marathon racer from Hungary
Trek 9.9 carbon :)

Micke

by Micke

I hade an averange of 15 H/Week under the one year. Including rest periods etc. And at that time I was also working full time as an carpenter.

Now during winter I'm training on full time. About 15-22 H/Week

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cyco

by Cyco

You must remember that the Pros have the recovery time, and that is one of the biggest keys in the process. Work, especially standing all day, prevents you from getting full recovery.

There is also the massage and once the base level is established, the amount of high intensity centrel nervous system work that can be done with the high recovery times is one of the big things that you find in the step up to the pro ranks.
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

JTC

by JTC

Depends on your goals and where you are as a racer. I am a Cat 4 here in the US and am trying despirately to get 10-12 a week during the winter. Any more than that is hard since I am married and wanting to start a family. Micke and Furti, what catagories do you race in? Seems like quite a bit of miles for the average joe.

Furti

by Furti

I'm racing in XC and maraton category here in Hungary.
In XC my category is elite senior (between 30-40 years old) and I am the Hungarian champion.
In maraton category I compete with elite guys I'm the 10th best.

Furti

by Furti

Last year my total km was 12.800, 60% on road, 40% on off roads.

Micke

by Micke

JTC wrote:Depends on your goals and where you are as a racer. I am a Cat 4 here in the US and am trying despirately to get 10-12 a week during the winter. Any more than that is hard since I am married and wanting to start a family. Micke and Furti, what catagories do you race in? Seems like quite a bit of miles for the average joe.

I race in the Elit senior category in Sweden. MTB and Road.

Tippster

by Tippster

Furti wrote:I just read some info about Gunn-Rita Dahle.

She trains 20h/week winter time. And in the racing season she trains: 15-20h/week.

Have you considered commuting to work by bike? I don't race, but have been riding 27 miles a day 5 days a week for approx 18 months. For me it has the advantages of

I get exercise for minimal cost and time.
Faster than by car. I average 20 mph into work (over 13.5 miles).
We have a shower at work. I'm getting 1.5 hours exercise per day for free. Saving both petrol / gym membership and time down the gym.

I'm beginning to take cycling more seriously. Only been riding for 18 months. Next move is HRM and training for 2 targets - 5 hour road century and 12 hour off-road century. I think it is important to have goals!
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

Roy Gardiner

by Roy Gardiner

Tippster wrote:I get exercise for minimal cost and time.
Dear Lord, how? Your riding speed must be 30mph+!

I've been commuting Essex-London for donkeys' years, cruising at 18mph-evens, gives an overall average of about 14mph. This is because of all the cursed traffic lights and other bollixation factors.

What's your secret?
Hainault Roads Club
www.lvrc.org

Tippster

by Tippster

Roy Gardiner wrote:
Tippster wrote:I get exercise for minimal cost and time.
Dear Lord, how? Your riding speed must be 30mph+!

I've been commuting Essex-London for donkeys' years, cruising at 18mph-evens, gives an overall average of about 14mph. This is because of all the cursed traffic lights and other bollixation factors.

What's your secret?

I cruise at 23mph and average 20mph over 13.5miles. Bracknell to Slough. Just outside M25 - Mixture of country lanes, dual carrageway and urban roads with traffic lights and roundabouts.

I'm on a HT mtb with conti slicks. Only been riding for 18 months, so still a lot of room for improvement.
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

kingtom

by kingtom

Furti wrote:I just read some info about Gunn-Rita Dahle.

i train nearly 20h/week (19.7...) in average for the hole year. i think this is quite enough for me. i've got a full time job and a girlfriend who booth also take some time.

jersievers

by jersievers

I just got my training set up for this next season...coach has me on more training hours now then durring the late spring and summer. Say I need endurance right now and less intensity(long rides). Build up a a base and then hit the intensity hard in the spring and summer, but actual training hours go down.

now - 15-19, summer - 9-16 (have to figure in races too, they need a lot of recovery for the effort.)

Pantani

by Pantani

What age are you Tippster and whats your Avg HR for your 20mph average spins on your MTB. Is this your all year round average or when the weather is fine.

If you are averaging 20 mph on an MTB during winter at cruising speed ({i.e. 70% of your MHR, you should turn pro.

homegrown

by homegrown

I ride 10 - 12 hours a week right now (5 days of riding, 2 days off) and put in about 2-3 hours a week weightlifting and running, both upper body weights and legs. As the weather gets better I'll ride 7 days a week and up the hours to about 20 riding, but races start late Feb. so I'll have to adjust to those as well. Right now I do one LSD ride, leg work (single leg or high reps), muscular endurance, and vo2 max work one day a week.

yoko

by yoko

Pantani wrote:What age are you Tippster and whats your Avg HR for your 20mph average spins on your MTB. Is this your all year round average or when the weather is fine.

If you are averaging 20 mph on an MTB during winter at cruising speed ({i.e. 70% of your MHR, you should turn pro.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... ster+lance

:?: :shock: :D

say this (while bowing) ...we are not worthy ... we are not worthy

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com