Zero G Boxer Squad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

drjones96

by drjones96

We don't know nuthin' until these cranks get out there!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mises

by mises

mrfish wrote:If you wanted to build efficient CNC-machined cranks, you would either glue them together like the Cannondale Hollowgrams or drill down the length of the crank like the latest Rotor cranks or Caramba double barrels (remember them?) and plug the end. In my view relieving / milling holes is just for show.
M5 also glued theirs together in the prototypes, though the production ones will be laser welded.

I think there are tradeoffs whatever way you go and as with all design you have to choose which factors are most important to you in coming up with the final product. Sweetwings pretty clearly chose weight above all else, the rest aren't so easy to tell which criteria were given the most importance.

Timo

by Timo

Kuiper wrote:The design of the Zero Gravity is much stronger

Kuiper wrote:The Zero Gravity design seems so much stronger in my eyes

That's quite a difference. But I do like your comment about Chinese engineers. I understand that you're fluent in Chinese and a frequent visitor of their facilities? 8)

As for your comment on hollow structures vs. solid ones. Is your Canyon frame made out of solid tubes? No? Well, do you still trust your frame or will you swap it for a Chinese frame with solid tubing?
And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.

Auk

by Auk

Kuiper is a riddle. Only he knows the answer.

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

mike wrote:i think Ted will stay true to his word. all of us probably have at least 1-2 sets of zero g brakes. i myself have purchased cat claws, zero gravity 04, zero gravity 06 brakes from him, and got zero g 05. We have all supported him in this way and encouraged him. Even though it is taking longer than anticipated, he is one man who is doing great things and is a great innovator. Let's just give him all the time he needs.

Mike, you are so right... With this post in mind I purchased a set of Zero Gravity '07 Ti brakes this week. They're great! :thumbup:

airsoft510

by airsoft510

are there any upgrades to the 07 0g brakes?

flying

by flying

airsoft510 wrote:are there any upgrades to the 07 0g brakes?

I would be interested as well.
I went from 06 ZG's back to Mavics
I would love to save the 141 grams again. For me & where I ride
the ZG's just did not feather or slow me as well as a dual pivot.
But I would give them another try if something has changed.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Flying-you might try adjusting the ZG's so that they are a little wider (more travel before they engage). The design of the power cam is such that it needs a little travel to kick in. When I first got my ZG's I didn't think they were very powerful until I used this trick and the pads seated. Now, I consider them very strong just like DA7800.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

flying

by flying

yourdaguy wrote:Flying-you might try adjusting the ZG's so that they are a little wider (more travel before they engage). The design of the power cam is such that it needs a little travel to kick in. When I first got my ZG's I didn't think they were very powerful until I used this trick and the pads seated. Now, I consider them very strong just like DA7800.

Thanks I no longer have them as I sold them.
But I did try that too. The thing is I have some very fast technical descents here & feathering is important too. So having them too wide open poses a bit of a problem in that regard. Also the wider open they were the less actual working travel seemed to be left. Meaning they get close to bottoming out on the bar & still not slowing rapidly enough for my style of riding. I am pretty methodical & having ridden the same places for so many years I have braking points in memory. Using those same points of ref I always overshot while on the ZG's
Finally I just gave in & went back to Mavics.
Thanks though perhaps I will try again sometime soon.

Boonen

by Boonen

Sheesh Casran, I saw the picture of that big box and almost got excited for you to get the first cranks :D
Nice one on the blue bolt, is it Ti or aluminium? You could do the padholder bolts as well but I think this is more subtle :thumbUp:

spookyload

by spookyload

Any updates on the cranks as yet?

drjones96

by drjones96

The cranks were redesigned into the shape of a submarine. :)

Seriously, Ted is working his butt off on the Subhuman project. I don't foresee we're going to see the cranks for a while. For him I think this is the chance of a lifetime that takes precedence over everything else.

drjones96

by drjones96

Testers: PM "the wolf" your t-shirt sizes and updated mailing addresses.

brianwchan

by brianwchan

Pm sent, what's going on though? I don't mind not getting the cranks, since I never spent a dime on them, but I'm curious as to what's going on...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drjones96

by drjones96

Well....I really don't know. Other than Ted is still working the human sub project and it's getting ready to go somewhat soon....and they are getting ready to release some new brakes....other than that....