New Lew Wheels coming....880grams

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lewracingvp
in the industry

by lewracingvp

Here's a press release on the Lew PRO VT-1 spoke replacement process:

http://www.bicyclenewswire.com/index.cf ... 158&id=515
Lee Vaccaro
VP of Corporate Development
702-205-5766 direct
702-743-5508 office
www.lewracing.com
www.lewaerospace.com

llpatrick

by llpatrick

anyone here brought the LEW wheels with the custom colored spokes option?

I was wondering whether does it have colours for all spokes or is it just 1 spokes that have the custom color choosen?

Cheers :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jay cee

by jay cee

i asked michael rogers today about the lews, he said the team were testing a variety of wheels to see what performs best.
He also said that they will be using some pretty cool stuff in the future and next year, but didnt say what! the little teaser!
J EURO

lewracingvp
in the industry

by lewracingvp

llpatrick wrote:anyone here brought the LEW wheels with the custom colored spokes option?

I was wondering whether does it have colours for all spokes or is it just 1 spokes that have the custom color choosen?

Cheers :)

To be honest, the custom (1) spoke (1) color option has not been a big hit. All of our orders to date have been all black. We are however working on a finished look that could get added to the rims and wheelsets. We hope to have samples back from the painter in the next couple of weeks. This will be an optional upgrade and add weight and cost to the overall product if selected.
Lee Vaccaro
702-205-5766 direct
702-743-5508 office
www.lewracing.com
www.lewaerospace.com

ejm

by ejm

c'mon,
i ordered mine with a yellow spoke in each wheel!

erik...
Visiting Southwest Western Australia? Visit our store, Crank'n Cycles, in Collie!

lewracingvp
in the industry

by lewracingvp

Sorry Erik, you were the only fan of the yellow spoke of champions :(
Lee Vaccaro
702-205-5766 direct
702-743-5508 office
www.lewracing.com
www.lewaerospace.com

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

Champion effort EJM! :D :lol:

Well, at least if the wheels get stolen, they'll be distinctive. Not that they wouldn't be distinctive, being one of two or three (at the most) in Australia.

Still looking forward to hearing how they ride from you. And Lee, this is just pure curiosity, but did the company think of any of those buyback ideas? (I have no vested interest unless you're willing to buy back the pair of ~5 year old mid-range Ritchey race wheels that I've borrowed from a mate :D)

lewracingvp
in the industry

by lewracingvp

<sigh> We have so many exciting programs and plans ready to launch once we've put all of the initial manufacturing delays behind us. The next two weeks will tell the tale, and I hope to report back good news.
Lee Vaccaro
702-205-5766 direct
702-743-5508 office
www.lewracing.com
www.lewaerospace.com

alienator

by alienator

lewracingvp wrote:Sorry Erik, you were the only fan of the yellow spoke of champions :(

Besides, everyone knows that black is really the color of champions.

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

lewracingvp wrote:To be honest, the custom (1) spoke (1) color option has not been a big hit. All of our orders to date have been all black.

If you want to offer custom colored yellow/blue/silver/red/white or whatever spokes, I think it would be much better to have all the spokes colored instead of just one colored spoke like Maivc does. Something more likeFulcrum Racing Zero Red, Inudstry Nine or Bontrager Race XXX Lite Carbon Tubular. I think that would be a more popular solution than to just to have one spoke colored.
Maybe even custom colored rims or hubs too if that's possible.

Fulcrum Racing Zero

ImageImage
Industry Nine

Bontrager Race XXX Lite Carbon Tubular

rayhuang

by rayhuang

FWIW-I got to hold a LEW Wheel two days ago and although it has clues to its handmade nature (like mishaped dremel looking holes to balance rim), it still looked very well made with only one small blemish of what looked like a swirl of excess epoxy on the surface. I recall a thread that showed a prototype that looked awful and this one looked nothing like it. I was intentionally looking for the bad (not to be an a-hole-just out of curiosity) and found little to none.

And of course the most amazing thing was that it felt like holding a piece of cardboard in my hand. Its mind boggling how light it is and that it can even be ridden.

I'll likely never own a set nor even get to ride them, but it was cool even to hold one.

Ray

lewracingvp
in the industry

by lewracingvp

www.bicycleworld.tv was kind enough to send us the videos that were taken at our facility and the Red Rock Resort last month. They are now posted on our home page: www.lewracing.com

And the white sheet is back!

Regards,
Lee Vaccaro
702-205-5766 direct
702-743-5508 office
www.lewracing.com
www.lewaerospace.com

ejm

by ejm

Received a pair of LEW wheels today. Front wheel 390 grams, rear Campag wheel 546 grams. Waiting on the Shimano rear which is lighter and will hit the sub 880 gram mark

Awesome looking wheels. The front wheel is absolutely mind bogglingly light! It feels surreal...

The finish is awesome. Anyone who likes the tech edge / space design look will love them. Very modern looking wheel. Carbon finish is great. Smooth surfaces, so no voids between the weaves (ie. CarbonSports LW). You can still tell it's a low volume hand built rim/wheel from the joins and so forth, but that's what you get with this cutting edge gear.

Bearings are amazing. You hold the wheel and spin the axle... and the axle keeps on spinning. it doesn't just come to a halt! This will be the new test for bearing smoothness... count how long the axle spins for !!! Rear wheel design is great with the flanged and offset central spokes. very inovative. still seems to be plenty rigid too (have not ridden yet... but i'm sure it will come up fine on the road too). OUr model has the standard hybrid ceramic bearings (unless Lee tells me otherwise)... so i can't imagine how smooth the full ceramics are. One minor point is the question of water entering the bearings... . The bearing spins so freely and there is so little seal drag - does this mean that water will enter and damage the bearings? One for Lee to answer... .

will post more info when I glue some tyres on and ride them.

I have a pair of Tufo <160's for photo purposes, but will be gluing on Vittoria Corsa's to race on and as a demo pair of wheels for the shop.

So now we have demo LW Oby's, demo LEW's and waiting on the fleet of Demo ZIPP wheels too... all tubulars; 303, 404, 808, disc. Anyone need to know the difference in ride of all these wheels? Soon they'll all be at one store to demo! S/W Western Australia. The place to be...

cheers all,

erik
Visiting Southwest Western Australia? Visit our store, Crank'n Cycles, in Collie!

bobbyOCR

by bobbyOCR

Can't wait till saturday ejm.

You kinda have a habit of receiving campy hub bodies when they should be Shimano.
Cyclist turned music producer

Visiting South West Australia? Visit Crank n' Cycles!

lewracingvp
in the industry

by lewracingvp

Figures, after all the waiting that you would get the heavier Campy version instead of Shimano. Maybe we'll screw up again and you'll get the 2008 Shimano model next which is being released prior to Eurobike...oops, did I just say that?!

Here's the deal though on the bearings. Because of the nature of ceramic bearings (hybrid and full) we are going to publish on our website advising that these need general bike mechanic maintanence after use to maintain them (especially the full ceramic unsealed bearings). We are also going to offer high end steel bearings at no additional charge in case someone wants a more hassle free set. To that end however, we also offer a spare parts kit which includes extra bearings for those customers that want the smoothest rolling system available.
Lee Vaccaro
702-205-5766 direct
702-743-5508 office
www.lewracing.com
www.lewaerospace.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com