boring question on bike bag/box and air travel,

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

NS

by NS

I never said you were worried about being used (I didnt know we could sex bikes do thay have genitals?) I was saying that you were concerned about it being damaged racing (when it is in your control) but you were considering handing it over to some hairy arsed baggage handlers who take great pride in kicking seven colours of crap out of your luggage. They really do not give a toss, even if you do claim it doesnt come out of their wages

CarbonSports

by CarbonSports

HammerTime2 wrote:But then i think I figured it out. The damaged wheels were the wheels on the outside of the bike box, not the wheels inside.

Correct.

Nothing ever was damaged inside the box and also the box has never taken any damage.

Sorry for confusion.... :oops:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BW

by BW

Use a bag everytime. Seatpost out, pipe lagging round the tubes, old hubs in and padding round the wheels. Have found marking the bag 'Fragile - Handle with care Please' does work and have so far never had a problem. Loosen bars / stem so that they move rather than bend, remove rear mech and have the QR skewer the other side so it protects the drop out.

Or just get a box from a bike shop and use that but they're awkward to handle and will fall apart in the rain.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

well ive always called a lady as i wouldnt want to sit on a man.
tikka
Formerly known as Curryinahurry

lincoln

by lincoln

Sorry for digging out an old thread, but thought it better to post in here where future people searching for cases can find some detail.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Polaris caes that ProBikeKit are selling?

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=B1086

Hyde

by Hyde

This is the most important thing in air travel besides the safety of your equipment.
Dimensions 94 x 113 x 20 cm Weight 7.6 kg
My suggestion is to look at the websites of the airlines you travel to figure out "how much & what" they are going to charge you for. Every airline is different & some word things so that they can charge you quite a bit of money if you are "oversized & overweight" according to "their" verbage. Cases like the one you have linked to can be a nice option if you pack everything well. In any compact case such as that I would put padding around the frame any place I could. I'm a little nervous about my bike though :wink: A couple of people I know have used essentially the same case (just a different brand). They guy that owns it, swears by it. THe other had no problems but said it made him nervous. He borrowed mine, which is HUGE, & said he prefered to pay a little extra not to have to worry.

lincoln

by lincoln

Which one is yours?

Hyde

by Hyde

I went with the Velo Safe II so I could take a bike for the wife too. Of course it breaks all kinds maximum allowable requirements when it is fully loaded. With 1 light bike you might be able to sneak in under the weight limit.
http://www.triall3sports.com/bike.html#

lincoln

by lincoln

Two bikes in one is pretty nifty. I have two bikes in the UK that I'll take back, but am more concerned about the carbon bike than the steel trainer. Looks good, but looks like you can't get Tri All 3 in the UK or Europe... unless someone can correct me.

I'm watching ebay for a TriAll3, or there's this one that was recommended: http://hannes-triathlon-tours-de.keymac ... nt&m=3&s=0

I was just going to ship the bike back to Australia and box the steel and fly it back with me or also ship it to save some money on the airline charges... are people being charged for these cases as excess baggage when flying out of Europe? (US has two pieces, so imagine you get away with a lot more).

Hyde

by Hyde

SOme preffered customers of certain airlines have a clause tht says they can ship bikes for free. I also heard, don't know how true it is, that there is a law here in the US stating that if you are taking your bicycle as your only source of transportation that you shall not be charged.

I'm sure you can get a Triall3 in any country. I bought mine direct from them & the shipped it to me ups. email them from the website.