External/sealed bb (FRM)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

knh555

by knh555

The other day, I was at the local high-zoot shop and he had a partially built Merckx there (new Moltini lugged steel retro frame). It had FRM brakes, cranks, and external bb - nothing else yet. Since it had the bb/cranks mounted, I gave them a spin. I couldn't believe how much drag the bb had - not worth $50 IMHO. They were smooth, just slow.

Is it me or is there more friction in the newer designs with all those seals and large bearings. I'm still on old-school square taper bb's and love the old cone and ball bearing designs. On my track bike for example, I'm running an old Dura Ace pista bb axle with Campy Nuovo Record cups and bearings and it's smooth as hell. For really important events, I can run lighter grease or even oil for that super-smooth drivetrain. I can't imagine any weight savings or increased stiffness justifies the increased friction.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tochnics

by tochnics

there is nothing wrong with a first classic bsa square tappered bottom bracket
the thing is that if u want a ponsy crank the choise of getting one is getting a little bit smaller by the day
mind you there are enough propper cranks left to choose from

i just think that my full dure ace 10 speed bike will look out of the picture with a old school crank

tochnics

by tochnics

oops pressed some wrong buttons:

anyway

did you face the bracket?
bearings always need to break in

mfoote

by mfoote

All of the external BB i have installed have LOTS of drag to begin with. They seem to have a much more dramatic break in period. But given a little time they will become nice and smooth.

Taz

by Taz

mfoote wrote:All of the external BB i have installed have LOTS of drag to begin with. They seem to have a much more dramatic break in period. But given a little time they will become nice and smooth.

Then you should try Campy Record UT, you will be amazed at how smooth it feels, nowhere near the DA I had before.

charlie

by charlie

I'll second that. the ultra-torque feels like butter.

stiff, light butter that is.

stiff, light, carbon, expensive, italian-made butter.

:P

mfoote

by mfoote

Aw man, your making me hungry!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Deruneinholbare

by Deruneinholbare

the FRM crank uses a high quality 2RS sealed bearing, it take a bit of braking in. besides the drag when spinning isnt important. the drag with load is!