Dallas / Fort Worth / Austin TX Bike Shops - recommendations

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

BikeTech

by BikeTech

Can anyone recommend some good shops worth visiting in these areas?

Bicycles Inc in Bedford, Richardson Bike Mart in Richardson and Plano Cycling seem to be good places to check out. Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin Man

by Marin Man

I used to live in Dallas and I travel to Texas frequently for business. I was down in San Antonio last month and I met Kevin Saunders who owns KGS Bikes. Small place, boutique and very, very high end. He custom paints Parlee's out that shop (beautiful stuff). There is also a high-end bike and tri shop in Austin, but I cannot remember the name and its a great shop too.
Bicycles Inc, Richardson Bike Mart, Bicycle Sport Shop are all nice, but in my opinion they are just too big anymore. To me it just feels like they are all headed the way of the Trek Superstores. Thats fine and all, and those shops make lots of money and are all good. I just prefer to find the really niche places that are so interesting.

BikeTech

by BikeTech

Thanks for the tips. Niche places is what I'm looking for.

allerge99

by allerge99

RBM & Plano Cycling are more along the superstore type of things IMHO. If you want a small shop in which you can chill and have a beer at I would check out Mad Duck Adventure Sports in Grapevine. I would say they are more in the mt. bike bus, but have a solid road selection and are not the superstore type. Great people to just go in and chat with as they are all mid 40s and retired and just do this as fun. IMO its the only shop like this in the metroplex.

If you are in Austin ck out a place called Hammerhead. Small shop with some great stuff.

Grasschopper

by Grasschopper

I have spent some time in Austin and I always try to get to The Bicycle Sport Shop...they are a VERY large shop and have a huge inventory...my issue with them is their prices are a bit high...they have a lot of stuff in stock though. For some high end bikes and great guys Nelo's is a great shop...my other suggestion would be 360cycleworks but they recently closed due to some personal issues the owner was going through (divorce I believe).

santacruzxt

by santacruzxt

If you are looking for some in Austin, try the non walmart stores (bicycle sport shop) like Southwest Cycle Sport, or Nelo's. For Tri stuff it would be Jack and Adam's or Austin TriCyclists. These are the smaller stores that have good service. I liked Bicycles Sport shop, but now I can't stand going in there due to their staff.

www.southwestcyclessport.com
http://nelosprocycles.com/
http://www.austintricyclist.com/
http://www.jackandadams.com/
07 Pinarello Paris Carbon
06 Trek Equinox 11
05 Trek 8500
88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
72 Schwinn Continental
www.cougarcycling.com

Marin Man

by Marin Man

...Jack and Adams...thats the one in Austin I was trying to remember. Good guys all the way around in that one.

But I gotta throw out more props for KGS in San Antonio. That is a full on bespoke shop. He gets his Parlee frames bare (no cleat coat) and starts from there. Not a ton of inventory to touch, but its like standing in a Ferarri show-room. What is there is amazing.

Oh, and plus-1 for BSS. Good shop if you are into shopping in places like Wal Mart...

Ravenmore

by Ravenmore

I work at Buck's Bikes in Austin (Hwy 183) on Saturdays (although I probably won't be there this Saturday). Come by and say "hey". ;) I'm working on helping them get better inventory. :) (Mainly Giant right now but they are going to pick up either Scott or Cannondale here soon.)

360 Cycleworks just closed down here unfortunately. Austin Cycles is owned by a local pro Sol Frost. Austin Tri Cyclist is always worth a look too IMO. Bicycle Sport Shop on S. Lamar is cool also.

santacruzxt

by santacruzxt

Southwest Cycle picked up Scott when cycle360 closed, they also carry Bianchi, Carrera, and Jamis. Home to team Conex Train. Family owned by a couple that opened the shop(s) for fun.
07 Pinarello Paris Carbon
06 Trek Equinox 11
05 Trek 8500
88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
72 Schwinn Continental
www.cougarcycling.com

Ravenmore

by Ravenmore

Southwest Cycles is a nice shop and they did pick up Scott, but they did it before 360 Cycleworks went out of business. After 360 closed, Scott contacted Buck's. I was pretty excited about it as it might mean I could EP an Addict. :D

drjones96

by drjones96

In Southwest Fort Worth:
Out of convenience I go to Fort Worth Cycling & Fitness and also Bicycles Inc.

Bicycles Inc. is a bigger supermarket type that carries the big brands Trek & Specialized and also some others.

FWCF is a smaller shop. They also carry Trek & Specialized. But also Cannondale, Kuota & Monoc...and maybe some others. I stop here for stuff sometimes because they are close to work.

But I don't usually let either of them work on my bike unless it's something I can't do on my own.

KGS Bikes
Shop Owner

by KGS Bikes

I appreciate all the compliments for our small shop, KGS Bikes. It is a challenge to focus on the bikes that make all the people on this forum drool, but it is fun and very rewarding.

We are really into bikes that are more than "just a bike" and like to hear from people from all over the world that feel the same way we do. If we can help educate anyone about cool light bikes we love to do it, and may have some photography to support it. Please feel free to post pictures from our site, but please give a photo credit.

Happy looking!

Thanks again for the props.

Kevin
Kevin Saunders
<a>KGS Bikes</a>

edgerat

by edgerat

Marin Man wrote:He custom paints Parlee's out that shop (beautiful stuff).

Dave Sem actually paints them for him no?

KGS Bikes
Shop Owner

by KGS Bikes

edgerat wrote:
Marin Man wrote:He custom paints Parlee's out that shop (beautiful stuff).

Dave Sem actually paints them for him no?

Yes, Dave Sem at http://www.semcustompaint.com is our painter. He is incredible.
Kevin Saunders
<a>KGS Bikes</a>

williamsf1

by williamsf1

can anyone list the best 5 bike shops in the Fort Worth area???

I am going to be in downtown for 5 days, and want to see whats on offer!!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com