nutha carbon playa

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

I'm assuming you mean V-brakes or Discs on the MTB version. Tough call on that one. One thing that I heard (and I have no proof of this) is that disc brakes don't work well with carbon frames. I reasoning I heard is the heat transfer from the rear disc brake to the frame can compramise the integritry of the carbon. Now again, this is just what someone told me in passing....maybe you can shed some more light on this issue.

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

Looking at some of the web pages out there....the Trek Fuel 100 is a full carbon bike with V-brakes only. The Scott Strike is a carbon frame with disc brakes but the rear swing arm is aluminum. The only full carbon bike with disc brakes that I found was the Stork Organic.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nicrump

by nicrump

That could very well be the case on some bikes. I would have is a very large dropout with some distance to the carbon but this adds weight. The service temp of all my adhesives is well over 300deg f but you still raise and interesting point.

I am leaning towards canti studs solely for the weight benefit.

ps, the frame in the pic is 1150g, heavy for weight weenies but expected to be at or below 1050 for 56cm level top tube on the released version.

nikh

by nikh

Sweet I'm in Houston I might need an excuse to come on over and have a test ride and ride some MTB trails :)
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

nicrump

by nicrump

Nikh, Just confirmed my first set of MTB carbon rears are on their way from Italy. Should have first MTB prototype done by early Dec.

What size MTB you ride?

nikh

by nikh

I'm a medium so a 17" would be sweet, with disc brakes :wink:
Keep me informed of the progress I'd love to have a tour if theres anything to see?

nikh

by nikh

Whats the deal with white carbon that we are beginning to see now.
Is this something you can do out of interest?

nicrump

by nicrump

I’m looking into it. As far as I can tell now, it’s a surface treatment, like a pealized clear topcoat.

If anyone knows different, I’d love to hear about it.

I am more interested in getting this MTB together! waiting on the slow boat from Italy.

Superlite

by Superlite

It's not a surface treatment, the actual carbon fiber is dyed before lay up and molding.