Will Campagnolo ever abandon the G-springs?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

yzfrr1

by yzfrr1

Is Campy planning doing is for 2008?
Last edited by yzfrr1 on Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BW

by BW

Got chorus from 1996, 9 speed and never had to replace anything :?

Could just be bad luck???

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Perhaps the climate you live it is such that you are really hard on shifters. You could switch to DA, but perhaps rather than a spring a year needing replacing, it will be a set of shifters a year?

CharlesM

by CharlesM

I feel ya. I have a stack of Campy wheels that would fill a van...

I am switching to SRAM to get broader compatibility with wheels from more folks standard stock (and because I like the shifter shape and look better than Shimano).

But I'm not dumping Campy due to durability. Ive got bikes that are several years old that have 10 - 15,000k on them and no problems (one gut swap on a right side lever out of dozens of groupo's).

tommasini

by tommasini

Are you changing them due to repeated problems or just because you think it's time to do so?

I've only replaced 1 set of G springs in all the years (and miles) that I've run Ergo levers - and that was only because I changed the index cog from 9 to 10 speed so I figured it made sense while in there to also change those. My old 9 speed stuff have the same shift "feel" same as my Pre-Ultra 10 speed....the Ultra is a bit lighter feel but I equate that to the coating or whatever else they did to the index cog.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Just wanted to add one anecdotal piece of info on the durability of DA 10 shifters. I live in Bermuda and we have one of the harshest climates known to man as far as corrosion is concerned. Salt air bathes the whole island ( the farthest away from the ocean you can get here is about a kilometer ) and the humidity rarely drops below 60% and for seven months of the year doesn't go south of 80%.

I have three year old DA 10 sti levers that are in top shape and show little sign of corrosion or degradation in performance. I wouldn't worry too much about their robustness.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Campy has done some versions without the index springs, these are the escape mechanisms. They can be found on anything from 07 below Chorus. I doubt you'll see them adapt it into the Chorus/Record line. There was a rumor floating that these internals could be put into a Record shifter and that some of the pro-tour riders were doing it. The escape internals cannot be put into Chorus or Record, as the bodies need to be different. The best you can do is to get a lower end shifter and put a Record carbon blade on it with the pivot pin from record. This saves a few grams, but also removes any capability of gear dumping.

As for 08 changes, all of the changes to Campy for next year are already known. There are actually just a few small changes for 08, and none to the shifters. My guess, is you won't see a change to Record shifters until the Electronic is released(they'll probably rush it to get it out in 09 to keep up with EDA)

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Hey Madcow,

What's the latest on new dura ace goodies to come down the pipe in the near future? Any major group changes apart from the changes to the da rear hub and the wheels?

geoff

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

I have yet to replace a G spring.
But I like knowing that it can be replaced without replacing the entire shifter.

I'm curious about DA for 08, there are many cool features of the XTR that should be on DA.

Camelfred

by Camelfred

I also have troubles with these springs again and again , maybe me and some others have a wrong way of shifting ?! :lol: :roll:
I just had to order a 4-piece-set of them... :evil:
Camelfred

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

BdaGhisallo wrote:Hey Madcow,

What's the latest on new dura ace goodies to come down the pipe in the near future? Any major group changes apart from the changes to the da rear hub and the wheels?

geoff

Geoff,

This is a tough question, as I really can't give many details, but expect to see a lot changes from Shimano in the next 12 months. Time tables are still up in the air though. Expect one new group to be announced before Interbike,(not Dura ace, but above Ultegra, and no longer silver.) There are also 2 new DA groups developed, but chances are the one that they are being the most tight-lipped about will never see the light of day.

So the question is why build a group almost the same as the current DA, while at the same time, have 2 new DA groups(1 of which may never be released.) Unfortunately I can't say any more than that right now. But if you really think about it, you may come up with the correct answer.

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

madcow wrote:
This is a tough question, as I really can't give many details, but expect to see a lot changes from Shimano in the next 12 months. Time tables are still up in the air though. Expect one new group to be announced before Interbike,(not Dura ace, but above Ultegra, and no longer silver.) There are also 2 new DA groups developed, but chances are the one that they are being the most tight-lipped about will never see the light of day.

So the question is why build a group almost the same as the current DA, while at the same time, have 2 new DA groups(1 of which may never be released.) Unfortunately I can't say any more than that right now. But if you really think about it, you may come up with the correct answer.

I read between the lines.

Danton

by Danton

Cryptic stuff :)

I don't know if helps but I was reading this month's Vélo and one of the Bouygues riders says when he's finished a ride, he always changes into the lowest gear (eg 39x11) so there's less tension on the spring when the bike is not in use. I thought this was excessive but maybe it helps in the long term?

VeloScaper

by VeloScaper

Danton wrote:Cryptic stuff :)

I don't know if helps but I was reading this month's Vélo and one of the Bouygues riders says when he's finished a ride, he always changes into the lowest gear (eg 39x11) so there's less tension on the spring when the bike is not in use. I thought this was excessive but maybe it helps in the long term?

I think that is to put less pressure on the spring in the rear derailleur, not the G-spring in the shifters.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

VeloScaper wrote:
Danton wrote:Cryptic stuff :)

I think that is to put less pressure on the spring in the rear derailleur, not the G-spring in the shifters.

Hi,

Of course....
Release the brakes as well and deflate the tyres to put less strain on the wheels.....
I heard Campa's going for G-Strings now too......... :lol:

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.