Garmin Edge

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

crash32

by crash32

Will I must start off by saying that I don't own a Edge yet.
I was looking forward to purchasing one at the big Toronto Bike Show.
I must say that I'm disappointed that I could not find one? No one carried the unit!
I was a little disappointed that Garmin was not there trying to promote their products.

I'm looking for your feelings on the unit now before buying or do I wait now till the next model comes out.
Also has anyone heard if a knew model is coming out?

Any info would be great

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alanmclean

by alanmclean

If you have broadband then get an Edge 305 right now and join Motionbased.

I got one a few weeks ago: I find it a great motivational tool but I think a training website like MB is almost an essential partner to the GPS unit.

I've done 1000k and love watching the distance stack up.

Like any consumer kit there is always a better one around the corner but if you wait then you lose the fun of now.

Action has beauty: buy an Edge 305 right now and stop thinking about it.javascript:emoticon(':D')

Regards

Alan

rockymtnway

by rockymtnway

A quick search brought up about 30-odd threads on the topic. Here's a couple I think might be of value:
Garmin or Polar?
opinions
I've enjoyed mine for almost a year now with a few gripes, but overall, more good than bad. No one carries the unit because most bike shops worry about how many $300 computers they'll sell when they can't clear out their $20 Cateyes. As mentioned in other threads, they're cheap as 'ell on line anyway, so I wouldn't even bother looking at a brick and mortar store that carries it.
2001 Bianchi SL-2 Reparto Corse
2006 Rocky Mountain ETSX 70
2006 Scott Genius RC-LTD
2007 Rocky Mountain Element 70

keithster

by keithster

you should go to a GPS dealer, they specialize in the stuff and can get it to you for cheaper.

In Toronto, Radio World carries them.

They are at Steeles and the 400, it is east of Weston road but west of Jane.

is the Toronto show over? the show is really just a ridiculous blowout. I always spend too much there.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

epola

by epola

Hi crash,
I've had mine for almost one year now. It is my third GPS (etrex, geko and now edge) so I'm no novice.
For me it's is the perfect accessory. I don't think of it as an expensive bike computer, but as a high precision GPS. The GPS functions are top notch. I don't think I've lost signal once over an entire year of MTB in all kind of settings and conditions, where other GPS units regularly missed the odd trackpoint or lost satellites for a few seconds. In this respect it's exceptional. The SIRF Star III chip is a real breakthrough.
The feeling is also very pleasant. Looks better in person than in the pictures.
I don't think Garmin is releasing anything better any time soon. They keep updating the firmware very often in their webpage, constantly fixing bugs and adding new features and lots of new menu options. Very cool.
When I've needed online customer support, reaction times have been very good.
I don't bother with MBased, though, and instead I use CompeGPS. Give it a try if you like, they have a free trial version. I think its much better and you don't need to be online to play with your tracks...
I hope this helps!

crash32

by crash32

Thanks for all the input everyone.
I'm looking to get it in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks again.

:D

TMK001

by TMK001

crash32 wrote:Thanks for all the input everyone.
I'm looking to get it in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks again.

:D

Im looking at the Forerunner 305... it is a wrist watch style, so you can take it off and run with it, or whatever. My dad has the Edge 305 and his screen failed. Besides the $80AUD he spent on insured postage, they coughed up a new unit for him as a replacement.

You can get a bar mount for the Forerunner too. Only difference is you cant get as many fields on the screen at once - I think it's 4 instead of 8...

Todd

rockymtnway

by rockymtnway

Just an update, I'm about to send my second unit back to the manufacturer. I purchased the first unit on April 13, 2006 and it died during the 24 hours of Moab in October 2006. They were very fast on the warranty, having a new unit to me in under 10 days. However, now I'm ever so slightly out of warranty and already they're giving me the run around on getting a return authorization number. They said I need to speak in person with a tech this time, where as last time they did all the trouble shooting via e-mail. I'll let you know how things go.
2001 Bianchi SL-2 Reparto Corse
2006 Rocky Mountain ETSX 70
2006 Scott Genius RC-LTD
2007 Rocky Mountain Element 70

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

You know this thread started almost 10 years ago, Right?

wingguy

by wingguy

Butcher wrote:You know this thread started almost 10 years ago, Right?

So, um, why did you resurrect it? :lol:

marecej

by marecej

I think there was a comment before, that was deleted :-)
Unno Horn = 8100g
Ellsworth Truth = 9371g

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

wingguy wrote:
Butcher wrote:You know this thread started almost 10 years ago, Right?

So, um, why did you resurrect it? :lol:

I hope there was a comment earlier, I know I'm getting old, but I'm a little concerned now. Oh well, in a few hours, I'll probably forget this ever happened.