Advice from Down Under

Bring your questions & complaints to the Weight Weenies moderators, here! Also, News & Announcements. Use the other boards for bike related talks.
Masu

by Masu

I'm going to spend my holidays in Australia. In order to be more exact I will start in Sydney and travel slowly to Cairns.

Here beginns my problem: I'd like to keep on training! :lol: At least for a few rides a week. For that I need a road bike during this time... starting in Sydney and stoping in Cairns. I assume that I can't rent a bicycle with that gave. :cry:

Should I buy a used bike in Sydney and sell it at the end of my holidays?
Any Ideas how I could resolve my problem?

Massim

by Massim

I would say just bring your own bike. Unless of course the cost associated with bringing your own bike is prohibitive, but does not sound like cost is an issue since your contemplating buying a used bike.

My 2cents.

Massim
Massim

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sprinter

by Sprinter

If you do take your bike it's easy to get in some training at Centenial Park - right in the middle of Sydney (where they held the Olympic TT and near where they finished the road race).

There's a group that used to meet in Kings Cross every morning too. They might still be there (been awhile since I've been in Sydney).

I can't think of a place that would rent a decent bike. You could try asking at Woolys Wheels (www.woolyswheels.com) or Clarence Street Cyclery (www.cyclery.com.au). But I think you'd be better off taking your own.

If you're stopping off in Townsville on the way up north there's a great climb you can do up Castle Hill. Only 290 metres up - but a decent climb on a bike.

In Rockhampton be sure to check out the Kenrick Tucker velodrome (www.rockhamptoncyclingclub.com/index.php?pr=Track) - they race every Friday night.

If you don't take your bike you can keep fit by running! Sydney is great for running - simply run along the harbour or along the coast. You'll see loads of other runners too.

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

I remember one place (was looking up north queensland) which rented out race bikes, but unfortunatly, I cant remember the name of the place. I'd seriously consider just bringing your bike, I've flown with my bike within Australia before - havent had any really problems with it, though I think I used up two or three sharpies putting arrows and instructions on the bike box (just a cardboard shop box).

donnelli

by donnelli

In case you're wondering: sharpies is what Australians call marker pens. You're going to learn plenty more Oz slang on your trip.

Sprinter

by Sprinter

...and they're only called sharpies on the east coast. Make sure you learn the slang for glasses of beer - every state has a different name for different sized glasses.

Cyco

by Cyco

Sharpies isn't east coast slang, its Melbourne slang - in Sydney they are Textas.
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

1in20

by 1in20

I have never heard anybody in Melbourne refer to marking pens as 'Sharpies'. I had heard the name but it definitely isn't a Melbourne term. I have lived in a Tasmania, Queensland and Victoria - but the only person I have heard say it was a guy from Perth that raced in France with me. Have heard texta's a million times though...

grover

by grover

nope, lived in melbourne all my life - never heard sharpies before

anyway - back to topic - bring your own, nothing that you can hire will be up to standard. if you do buy second hand you'll have a hell of a time selling it when you're done, the second hand market in oz sucks.

legs 11

by legs 11

You boys down under and your slang :roll:
:lol: :D

Dalai

by Dalai

grover wrote:nope, lived in melbourne all my life - never heard sharpies before.

Add me to the list. Melbournite my whole life and only ever referred to them as Texta's...

As for bikes, best to bring your own. Once in Australia - as long as you fly either Qantas or Virgin Blue domestically. Usually you will only be charged at most about AU$10 per flight for the bike. And if you get to the counter early and smile alot you usually get away without being charged at all (And that is with a huge orange Big Foot bike case that is definitely hard to disguise).

Avoid Jetstar with the bike as they charge $5 per kg over a total luggage weight of 20 kg - so the seemingly cheap ticket isn't so cheap :evil: .

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

Up until about a month ago, I referred to them as markers or texta's, but I picked up sharpies somewhere and its stuck. I'll probably stick with it until the fact that its slang starts to piss me off (ah, hypocrisy) - I've heard a few people refer to them as sharpies, but the predominant nomenclature is to call them texta, Sharpies is more of a slang perpetrated through Australian graffiti subculture.

Wow, a slight semantic interpretation of sharpies. :)

Dalai

by Dalai

Skillgannon wrote:Sharpies is more of a slang perpetrated through Australian graffiti subculture.

I hope we aren't going to start seeing 'Skillgannon' tags around the place!

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

Dalai wrote:
Skillgannon wrote:Sharpies is more of a slang perpetrated through Australian graffiti subculture.

I hope we aren't going to start seeing 'Skillgannon' tags around the place!

No, its to long for me :P - and what are you complaining about, Mr Photographs-bike-next-to-graffiti :P

Seriously though, I enjoy the work of some of the good melbourne non-taggers (Miso, Ghostpatrol etc. etc. - I find taggers a bunch of self indulgent egotistical idiots) but my allergies would leave me up sh*t creek if I ever started spraying. Plus, I'm to lazy :)

Dalai

by Dalai

Skillgannon wrote:No, its to long for me :P - and what are you complaining about, Mr Photographs-bike-next-to-graffiti :P

I think you have me mistaken with The Spider and his Parlee... :D

I've never posted pictures of my bikes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com